OREMUS: 12 June 2005

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Sun Jun 12 12:23:05 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, June 12, 2005
The Fourth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in you we live and move and have our being.
Each day we encounter the signs of your tender care.
Possessing the firstfruits of the Spirit,
who raised Jesus from the dead,
we live in the hope that the mystery of his dying and rising
will be for us also an eternal Easter.

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
  his mercy endures for ever.
Let Israel now proclaim,*
  ‘His mercy endures for ever.’
Let the house of Aaron now proclaim,*
  ‘His mercy endures for ever.’
Let those who fear the Lord now proclaim,*
  ‘His mercy endures for ever.’
I called to the Lord in my distress;*
  the Lord answered by setting me free.
The Lord is at my side, therefore I will not fear;*
  what can anyone do to me?
The Lord is at my side to help me;*
  I will triumph over those who hate me.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
  than to put any trust in flesh.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
  than to put any trust in rulers.
All the ungodly encompass me;*
  in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They hem me in, they hem me in on every side;*
  in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They swarm about me like bees;
    they blaze like a fire of thorns;*
  in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
I was pressed so hard that I almost fell,*
  but the Lord came to my help.
The Lord is my strength and my song,*
  and he has become my salvation.
There is a sound of exultation and victory*
  in the tents of the righteous:
‘The right hand of the Lord has triumphed!*
  the right hand of the Lord is exalted!
    the right hand of the Lord has triumphed!’
I shall not die, but live,*
  and declare the works of the Lord.
The Lord has punished me sorely,*
  but he did not hand me over to death.
Open for me the gates of righteousness;*
  I will enter them; I will offer thanks to the Lord.
‘This is the gate of the Lord;*
  whoever is righteous may enter.’
I will give thanks to you, for you answered me*
  and have become my salvation.
The same stone which the builders rejected*
  has become the chief corner-stone.
This is the Lord’s doing,*
  and it is marvellous in our eyes.
On this day the Lord has acted;*
  we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Hosanna, Lord, hosanna!*
  Lord, send us now success.
Blessèd is he who comes in the name of the Lord;*
  we bless you from the house of the Lord.
God is the Lord; he has shined upon us;*
  form a procession with branches
    up to the horns of the altar.
‘You are my God and I will thank you;*
  you are my God and I will exalt you.’
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
  his mercy endures for ever.

A Song of Redemption (Colossians 1.13-18a,19,20a)

The Father has delivered us from the dominion of darkness,
and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son;

In whom we have redemption,
the forgiveness of our sins.

He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.

For in him all things were created,
in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.

All things were created through him and for him,
he is before all things and in him all things hold together.

He is the head of the body, the Church,
he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead.

In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell;
and through him God was pleased to reconcile all things.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Genesis 20]:

 From there Abraham journeyed towards the region of the Negeb,
and settled between Kadesh and Shur. While residing in Gerar
as an alien, Abraham said of his wife Sarah, 'She is my sister.'
And King Abimelech of Gerar sent and took Sarah. But God
came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, 'You
are about to die because of the woman whom you have taken;
for she is a married woman.' Now Abimelech had not approached
her; so he said, 'Lord, will you destroy an innocent people? Did he
not himself say to me, "She is my sister"? And she herself said,
"He is my brother." I did this in the integrity of my heart and the
innocence of my hands.' Then God said to him in the dream, 'Yes,
I know that you did this in the integrity of your heart; furthermore
it was I who kept you from sinning against me. Therefore I did not
let you touch her. Now then, return the man's wife; for he is a prophet,
and he will pray for you and you shall live. But if you do not restore her,
know that you shall surely die, you and all that are yours.'

So Abimelech rose early in the morning, and called all his servants and
told them all these things; and the men were very much afraid. Then
Abimelech called Abraham, and said to him, 'What have you done
to us? How have I sinned against you, that you have brought such
great guilt on me and my kingdom? You have done things to me that
ought not to be done.' And Abimelech said to Abraham, 'What were you
thinking of, that you did this thing?' Abraham said, 'I did it because I
thought, There is no fear of God at all in this place, and they will kill
me because of my wife. Besides, she is indeed my sister, the daughter
of my father but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.
And when God caused me to wander from my father's house, I said to
her, "This is the kindness you must do me: at every place to which we
come, say of me, He is my brother." ' Then Abimelech took sheep and
oxen, and male and female slaves, and gave them to Abraham, and
restored his wife Sarah to him. Abimelech said, 'My land is before you;
settle where it pleases you.' To Sarah he said, 'Look, I have given your
brother a thousand pieces of silver; it is your exoneration before all who
are with you; you are completely vindicated.' Then Abraham prayed to
God; and God healed Abimelech, and also healed his wife and female
slaves so that they bore children. For the LORD had closed fast all the
wombs of the house of Abimelech because of Sarah, Abraham's wife.

For another Biblical reading, Romans 5:10-17

HYMN
Words: John Newton, 1779
Tune: Austria, Abbot's Leigh

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g051.html

Glorious things of thee are spoken,
Zion, city of our God;
he whose word cannot be broken
formed thee for his own abode;
on the Rock of Ages founded,
what can shake thy sure repose?
With salvation's walls surrounded,
thou may'st smile at all thy foes.

See! the streams of living waters,
spring form eternal love,
well supply thy sons and daughters
and all fear of want remove.
Who can faint, when such a river
ever flows their thirst to assuage?
Grace which, like the Lord, the Giver,
never fails from age to age.

Round each habitation hovering,
see the cloud and fire appear
for a glory and a covering,
showing that the Lord is near.
Thus they march, their pillar leading,
light by night, and shade by day;
daily on the manna feeding
which he gives them when they pray.

Blest inhabitants of Zion,
washed in the Redeemer's blood!
Jesus, whom their souls rely on,
makes them kings and priests to God.
'Tis his love his people raises
over self to reign as kings:
and as priests, his solemn praises
each for a thank-offering brings.

Savior, if of Zion's city,
I through grace a member am,
let the world deride or pity,
I will glory in thy Name.
Fading is the worldling's pleasure,
all his boasted pomp and show;
solid joys and lasting treasure
none but Zion's children know.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening),
or Nunc dimittis (Night) may follow.

Prayer:
As God's healing and peace spread among us,
let us offer prayers for this broken world
and for every person and every need.

For this congregation and every holy gathering
and for all who enter with faith.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all nations, peoples, tribes, clans, and families.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For those in positions of public trust.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For those discouraged by failure or disheartened by sin.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all those in danger and need:
the sick and the suffering,
the hungry and the oppressed,
travelers and prisoners.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For those who have died to life in this world.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all of us, justified by faith in Jesus Christ.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Lifting our voices with all creation,

let us offer ourselves and one another

to the living God through Christ.
To you, O Lord.

God who travels and eats with sinners,
hear the prayers we offer this day
and embrace with love your whole creation,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Father of justice and love,
you call your Church to witness
that you are in Christ reconciling the world to yourself:
Help us to proclaim boldly the good news of your love
that all who hear it may be reconciled to you
and work together for peace and justice;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Compassionate God,
grant that our experience of your pardon
may increase our love
until it reflects your own immeasurable forgiveness;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from
Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint
  Francis 1992, which is used with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary
Edition, copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The biblical passage is from The New Revised Standard Version
(Anglicized Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of
Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of
Christ in the USA. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted by Stephen Benner
from We Give You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian Eucharistic
Prefaces, translated by Alan Griffiths, © The Canterbury Press
Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is by Ormonde Plater.

The collect is from An Anglican Prayer Book, © Church of the
Province of Southern Africa, 1989.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer in Opening Prayers:
Collects in Contemporary Language. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.