OREMUS: 11 June 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jun 10 22:55:05 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, June 11, 2005
Saint Barnabas the Apostle

Blessed are you, God of justice and compassion:
by the voice of your Holy Spirit you chose Barnabas
from the whole assembly of those who believed in Christ.
You numbered him among the apostles
as the companion of Paul,
sending him to minster the truth of your Gospel
so that salvation and eternal life
might be proclaimed to all the nations.

Be joyful in the Lord, all you lands;*
 serve the Lord with gladness
   and come before his presence with a song.
Know this: The Lord himself is God;*
 he himself has made us and we are his;
   we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
   go into his courts with praise;*
 give thanks to him and call upon his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting;*
 and his faithfulness endures from age to age.

Psalm 101

I will sing of mercy and justice;*
 to you, O Lord, will I sing praises.
I will strive to follow a blameless course;
   O when will you come to me?*
 I will walk with sincerity of heart within my house.
I will set no worthless thing before my eyes;*
 I hate the doers of evil deeds;
   they shall not remain with me.
A crooked heart shall be far from me;*
 I will not know evil.
My eyes are upon the faithful in the land,
   that they may dwell with me,*
 and only those who lead a blameless life
   shall be my servants.
Those who act deceitfully shall not dwell in my house,*
 and those who tell lies shall not continue in my sight.

A Song of Ezekiel (Ezekiel 36:24-26,28b)

I will take you from the nations,
and gather you from all the countries.

I will sprinkle clean water upon you,
and you shall be clean from all your impurities.

A new heart I will give you,
and put a new spirit within you,

And I will remove from your body the heart of stone
and give you a heart of flesh.

You shall be my people,
and I will be your God.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Acts 11:19-end]:

Now those who were scattered because of the persecution
that took place over Stephen travelled as far as
Phoenicia, Cyprus, and Antioch, and they spoke the word
to no one except Jews. But among them were some men of
Cyprus and Cyrene who, on coming to Antioch, spoke to the
Hellenists  also, proclaiming the Lord Jesus. The hand of
the Lord was with them, and a great number became
believers and turned to the Lord. News of this came to
the ears of the church in Jerusalem, and they sent
Barnabas to Antioch. When he came and saw the grace of
God, he rejoiced, and he exhorted them all to remain
faithful to the Lord with steadfast devotion; for he was
a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a
great many people were brought to the Lord. Then Barnabas
went to Tarsus to look for Saul, and when he had found
him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for an
entire year they associated with the church and taught a
great many people, and it was in Antioch that the
disciples were first called 'Christians'.
At that time prophets came down from Jerusalem to
Antioch. One of them named Agabus stood up and predicted
by the Spirit that there would be a severe famine over
all the world; and this took place during the reign of
Claudius. The disciples determined that according to
their ability, each would send relief to the believers
living in Judea; this they did, sending it to the elders
by Barnabas and Saul.

For another Biblical reading,
Tobit 4:5-11

HYMN
Words: John Ellerton, 1871
Tune: Strength and Stay
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o588.html

O Son of God, our Captain of salvation,
thyself by suffering schooled to human grief,
we bless thee for thy sons of consolation,
who follow in the steps of thee their Chief.

Those whom thy Spirit's dread vocation severs
to lead the vanguard of thy conquering host;
whose toilsome years are spent in brave endeavors
to bear thy saving Name from coast to coast.

Those whose bright faith makes feeble hearts grow stronger,
and sends fresh warriors to the great campaign,
bids the lone convert feel estranged no longer,
and wins the sundered to be one again;

And all true helpers, patient, kind, and skillful,
who shed thy light across our darkened earth,
counsel the doubting, and restrain the willful,
soothe the sick bed, and share the children's mirth.

Such was thy Levite, strong in self-oblation
to cast his all at thine apostles' feet;
he whose new name, through every Christian nation,
from age to age our thankful strains repeat.

Thus, Lord, thy saint in holy memory keeping,
still be thy Church's watchword, "Comfort ye,"
till in our Father's house shall end our weeping,
and all our wants be satisfied in thee.

God of mercy,
you sent your beloved Son to die
for the sins of the whole world:

Look upon all people who have not known his name
and in your good time lead them to his cross:
Lord, hear our prayer.

Strengthen with the comfort of your Spirit
all who bear the message of your Gospel
wherever it may take them:
Lord, hear our prayer.

Take away from all who hear the Good News
hardness of heart and pride,
and so move them, blessed Lord, with your infinite love,
that the day may quickly come
when everyone shall turn to you
and there shall be one flock and one shepherd:
Lord, hear our prayer.

Generous God,
whose Son Jesus Christ has taught us
that it is more blessed to give than to receive:
Help us by the example of your apostle Barnabas,
a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith,
to be generous in our judgments and unselfish in our service;

Draw your Church together, O God,
into one great company of disciples,
together following our Lord Jesus Christ
into every walk of life,
together serving him in his mission to the world,
and together witnessing to his love. Amen.

The intercession is by Stephen Benner.

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995,
The Anglican Church of Australia Trust Corporation.

The closing sentence are adapted from prayers in _New Patterns for
Worship_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.