OREMUS: 8 June 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jun 7 17:31:02 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, June 8, 2005
Thomas Ken, Bishop of Bath and Wells, Non-Juror, Hymn Writer, 1711

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for your Son, our Messiah and Lord,
who did not turn aside from the path of suffering
and did not spare his disciples the prospect of rejection.
You call us through your Spirit
to abandon the security of the easy way
and to follow in Christ's footsteps towards the cross and true life.

I will sing of mercy and justice;*
 to you, O Lord, will I sing praises.
I will strive to follow a blameless course;
   O when will you come to me?*
 I will walk with sincerity of heart within my house.
I will set no worthless thing before my eyes;*
 I hate the doers of evil deeds;
   they shall not remain with me.
A crooked heart shall be far from me;*
 I will not know evil.
My eyes are upon the faithful in the land,
   that they may dwell with me,*
 and only those who lead a blameless life
   shall be my servants.
Those who act deceitfully shall not dwell in my house,*
 and those who tell lies shall not continue in my sight.

   Happy are they who fear the Lord*
 and have great delight in his commandments!
Their descendants will be mighty in the land;*
 the generation of the upright will be blessed.
Wealth and riches will be in their house,*
 and their righteousness will last for ever.
Light shines in the darkness for the upright;*
 the righteous are merciful and full of compassion.
It is good for them to be generous in lending*
 and to manage their affairs with justice.
For they will never be shaken;*
 the righteous will be kept in everlasting remembrance.
They will not be afraid of any evil rumours;*
 their heart is right;
   they put their trust in the Lord.
Their heart is established and will not shrink,*
 until they see their desire upon their enemies.
They have given freely to the poor,*
 and their righteousness stands fast for ever;
   they will hold up their head with honour.
The wicked will see it and be angry;
   they will gnash their teeth and pine away;*
 the desires of the wicked will perish.

A Song of the Lord's Anointed (Isaiah 61.1-3,11,6a)

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me
 because he has anointed me.

He has sent me to bring good news to the oppressed,
 to bind up the broken-hearted,

To proclaim liberty to the captives,
 and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;

To proclaim the year of the Lord's favour,
 to comfort all who mourn,

To give them a garland instead of ashes,
 the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
 the mantle of praise instead of a faint spirit,

That they may be called oaks of righteousness,
 the planting of the Lord, that he may be glorified.

For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
 and as seeds in the garden spring up,

So shall the Lord God make righteousness and praise
 blossom before all the nations.

You shall be called priests of the Lord
 they shall speak of you as ministers of our God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Matthew 9:14-17]:

Then the disciples of John came to Jesus, saying, 'Why do
we and the Pharisees fast often, but your disciples do
not fast?' And Jesus said to them, 'The wedding-guests
cannot mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them, can
they? The days will come when the bridegroom is taken
away from them, and then they will fast. No one sews a
piece of unshrunk cloth on an old cloak, for the patch
pulls away from the cloak, and a worse tear is made.
Neither is new wine put into old wineskins; otherwise,
the skins burst, and the wine is spilled, and the skins
are destroyed; but new wine is put into fresh wineskins,
and so both are preserved.'

For another Biblical reading,
Genesis 18:22-33

HYMN
Words: Thomas Ken, 1695, 1709
Tune: Morning Hymn
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a408.html

Awake, my soul, and with the sun
thy daily stage of duty run;
shake off dull sloth, and joyful rise
to pay thy morning sacrifice.

Lord, I my vows to thee renew;
disperse my sins as morning dew;
guard my first springs of thought and will,
and with thyself my spirit fill.

Direct, control, suggest, this day,
all I design or do or say;
that all my powers, with all their might,
in thy sole glory may unite.

Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
praise him, all creatures here below;
praise him above, ye heavenly host:
praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Bountiful God, you give us every good gift;
hear us as we offer our prayers to you.

We pray for our family and friends
and for all who are dear to us,
that in following you and rejoicing in your mercy,
they may share in your joy for ever.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are worn by their work,
for older persons and for children,
that they may know you are the strength of the weak
and the refuge of the distressed.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all who follow Christ,
that they may grow in their sense of discipleship
and calling to proclaim the Good News to others.
We pray especially for the Diocese of the Northern Philippines,
The Rt Revd Edward Pacyaya Malecdan, Bishop.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all in the medical professions,
that they may work wisely to promote health,
knowing that you are source of all healing.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are persecuted
for the sake of righteousness
and for all who are oppressed,
that they may gain the true liberation which comes from you alone.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

Loving God,
help us to love what is truly perfect,
so that we may neither speak what is evil
nor do what is wrong.
Then bring us to stand in your presence,
to sing of your mercy and justice
in the company of all your saints,
through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

O God, from whom all blessings flow,
by whose providence we are kept
and by whose grace we are directed:
help us, through the example of your servant Thomas Ken,
faithfully to keep your word,
humbly to accept adversity
and steadfastly to worship you;

In your great power,
transform all our fear
into faith and awe in your saving presence;

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer are adapted from
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is by Stephen Benner.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

Thomas Ken in the course of his lifetime was both rewarded and punished for
his firm adherence to principle. He was born in 1637 and reared by his
half-sister Anne and her husband the well-known angler Izaak Walton. He
became a clergyman and served for a year at the Hague as chaplain to Mary,
Princess of England and Queen of Holland, niece of King Charles II of England
and wife of the Dutch King William of Orange. During this year he publicly
rebuked King William for his treatment of his wife the said Mary, which may
be why he was chaplain there for only a year. Upon his return to England, he
was made Royal Chaplain to King Charles. The King had a mistress, Nell
Gwyn, and for his convenience wished to lodge her in his chaplain's residence.
Thomas sent the King a sharp refusal, saying that it was not suitable that the
Royal Chaplain should double as the Royal Pimp. Charles admired his honesty
and bluntness, and when the bishopric of Bath and Wells became available
soon after, he declared, "None shall have it but that little man who refused
lodging to poor Nellie!" Ken was accordingly made a bishop. When Charles
was on his deathbed, it was Ken whom he asked to be with him and prepare
him for death.
Under the next king, James II, brother of Charles, matters were different.
James converted to Roman Catholicism, the religion of his mother, and
political turmoil followed. James issued a decree known as the Declaration of
Indulgence, which decreed that various public offices formerly open only to
Anglicans, should thereafter be open to all persons. It was feared that the King
would appoint large numbers of Roman Catholics to positions of power, and
eventually transfer to them the control of the government. When the King
commanded the bishops to proclaim the Declaration of Indulgence, seven of
them refused to do so and were by the King's command imprisoned in the
Tower of London. The people of London rioted, and the bishops were freed
and carried in triumph through the streets of the city. Soon after, Parliament
offered the crown to the King's daughter Mary and her husband William of
Orange and James fled into exile.
William and Mary naturally began their reign by demanding oaths of allegiance
from all persons holding public positions, including the bishops. Thomas Ken
and others (known as the Non-Jurors -- the older meaning of "juror" is "one
who takes an oath," hence "perjurer" as "one who swears falsely") refused to
take the oath, on the grounds that they had sworn allegiance to James, and
could not during his lifetime swear allegiance to another monarch without
making such oaths a mockery. They were accordingly put out of office.
Thomas Ken became a private tutor and spent the rest of his life in retirement.
He died 19 March 1711. [James Kiefer, abridged]