OREMUS: 6 June 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jun 5 20:55:14 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, June 6, 2005

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for your Son, our Messiah and Lord,
who did not turn aside from the path of suffering
and did not spare his disciples the prospect of rejection.
You call us through your Spirit
to abandon the security of the easy way
and to follow in Christ's footsteps towards the cross and true life.

Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock;*
 shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.
In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh,*
 stir up your strength and come to help us.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts,*
 how long will you be angered
   despite the prayers of your people?
You have fed them with the bread of tears;*
 you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbours,*
 and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
You have brought a vine out of Egypt;*
 you cast out the nations and planted it.
You prepared the ground for it;*
 it took root and filled the land.
The mountains were covered by its shadow*
 and the towering cedar trees by its boughs.
You stretched out its tendrils to the Sea*
 and its branches to the River.
Why have you broken down its wall,*
 so that all who pass by pluck off its grapes?
The wild boar of the forest has ravaged it,*
 and the beasts of the field have grazed upon it.
Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven;
   behold and tend this vine;*
 preserve what your right hand has planted.
They burn it with fire like rubbish;*
 at the rebuke of your countenance let them perish.
Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand,*
 the son of man you have made so strong for yourself.
And so will we never turn away from you;*
 give us life, that we may call upon your name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.

A Song of Divine Love (1 Corinthians 13:4-13)

Love is patient and kind,
 love is not jealous or boastful,
 it is not arrogant or rude.

Love does not insist on its own way,
 It is not angry or resentful.

It does not rejoice in wrongdoing
 but rejoices in the truth.

Love bears all things and believes all things;
 love hopes all things and endures all things.

Love will never come to an end,
 but prophecy will vanish,
 tongues cease and knowledge pass away.

Now we know only in part
 and we prophesy only in part,

But when the perfect comes,
 the partial shall pass away.

When I was a child, I spoke like a child,
 I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.

But when I became mature,
 I put an end to childish ways.

For now we see only puzzling reflections in a mirror,
 but then we will see face to face.

Now I know only in part;
 then I shall know fully,
 even as I have been fully known.

There are three things that last for ever,
  faith, hope and love,
 but the greatest of these is love.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Matthew 9:2-8]:

And just then some people were carrying a paralysed man
lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to
the paralytic, 'Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.'
Then some of the scribes said to themselves, 'This man is
blaspheming.' But Jesus, perceiving their thoughts, said,
'Why do you think evil in your hearts? For which is
easier, to say, "Your sins are forgiven", or to say,
"Stand up and walk"? But so that you may know that the
Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins' he
then said to the paralytic 'Stand up, take your bed and
go to your home.' And he stood up and went to his home.
When the crowds saw it, they were filled with awe, and
they glorified God, who had given such authority to human
beings.

For another Biblical reading,
Genesis 14:8-24

HYMN
Words: Elizabeth Cosnett (c)
Tune: St. Bernard, Caithness
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c004.html

Can we by searching find out God
or formulate his ways?
Can numbers measure what he is
or words contain his praise?

Although his being is too bright
for human eyes to scan,
his meaning lights our shadowed world
through Christ, the Son of Man.

Our boastfulness is turned to shame,
our profit counts as loss,
when earthly values stand beside
the manger and the cross.

We may there recognize his light,
may kindle in its rays,
find there the source of penitence,
the starting-point of praise.

There God breaks in upon our search,
makes birth and death his own;
he speaks to us in human terms
to make his glory known.

Merciful God,
you give us every good gift.
Hear our prayers which we now offer
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
Northern Malawi, The Rt Revd Christopher John Boyle, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Northern Mexico,
The Rt Revd Marcelino Rivera-Delgado, Bishop.
May our divisions be healed,
that we may go into the world proclaiming your Good News.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for the physical and spiritual well-being
of our family and friends,
that they may rejoice in your mercy and love
and share in your joy in your heavenly Kingdom.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who work,
especially those who are stressed or overwhelmed,
that they may know you are their refuge and strength.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are persecuted
for fighting for justice and liberty,
that they may remember that you are the source
of all things just and free.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd:
you have led us to the kingdom of your Father's love.
Forgive our careless indifference
to your loving care for all your creatures,
and remake us in the likeness of your new and risen life.
We ask this in your Name. Amen.

In your great power,
transform all our fear
into faith and awe in your saving presence;

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer are adapted from
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Hymn (c) 1980 Stainer & Bell Ltd.
(admin. by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188).
For permission to reproduce this text, contact:
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The intercession is by Stephen Benner.