OREMUS: 5 June 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jun 4 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, June 5, 2005
The Third Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for your Son, our Messiah and Lord,
who did not turn aside from the path of suffering
and did not spare his disciples the prospect of rejection.
You call us through your Spirit
to abandon the security of the easy way
and to follow in Christ's footsteps towards the cross and true life.

The Lord, the God of gods, has spoken;*
 he has called the earth
   from the rising of the sun to its setting.
Out of Zion, perfect in its beauty,*
 God reveals himself in glory.
Our God will come and will not keep silence;*
 before him there is a consuming flame,
   and round about him a raging storm.
He calls the heavens and the earth from above*
 to witness the judgement of his people.
'Gather before me my loyal followers,*
 those who have made a covenant with me
   and sealed it with sacrifice.'
Let the heavens declare the rightness of his cause;*
 for God himself is judge.
Hear, O my people, and I will speak:
   'O Israel, I will bear witness against you;*
 for I am God, your God.
'I do not accuse you because of your sacrifices;*
 your offerings are always before me.
'I will take no bull-calf from your stalls,*
 nor he-goats out of your pens;
'For the beasts of the forest are mine,*
 the herds in their thousands upon the hills.
'I know every bird in the sky,*
 and the creatures of the fields are in my sight.
'If I were hungry, I would not tell you,*
 for the whole world is mine and all that is in it.
'Do you think I eat the flesh of bulls,*
 or drink the blood of goats?
'Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and make good your vows to the Most High.
'Call upon me in the day of trouble;*
 I will deliver you and you shall honour me.'

Psalm 100

Be joyful in the Lord, all you lands;*
 serve the Lord with gladness
   and come before his presence with a song.
Know this: The Lord himself is God;*
 he himself has made us and we are his;
   we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
   go into his courts with praise;*
 give thanks to him and call upon his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting;*
 and his faithfulness endures from age to age.

Benedicite: A Song of Creation

Bless the Lord all you works of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you heavens:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you angels of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all people on earth:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

O people of God bless the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you priests of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you servants of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all you of upright spirit:
 bless the Lord you that are holy and humble in heart;

Bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Matthew 8:28-9:1]:

When he came to the other side, to the country of the
Gadarenes, two demoniacs coming out of the tombs met him.
They were so fierce that no one could pass that way.
Suddenly they shouted, 'What have you to do with us, Son
of God? Have you come here to torment us before the
time?' Now a large herd of swine was feeding at some
distance from them. The demons begged him, 'If you cast
us out, send us into the herd of swine.' And he said to
them, 'Go!' So they came out and entered the swine; and
suddenly, the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into
the lake and perished in the water. The swineherds ran
off, and on going into the town, they told the whole
story about what had happened to the demoniacs. Then the
whole town came out to meet Jesus; and when they saw him,
they begged him to leave their neighbourhood. And after
getting into a boat he crossed the water and came to his
own town.

For another Biblical reading,
Genesis 13

HYMN
Words: Nahum Tate (1652-1715) and Nicholas Brady (1659-1726), 1696
Tune: Wiltshire
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t657.html

Through all the changing scenes of life,
in trouble and in joy,
the praises of my God shall still
my heart and tongue employ.

O magnify the Lord with me,
with me exalt his Name;
when in distress to him I called,
he to my rescue came.

The hosts of God encamp around
the dwellings of the just;
deliverance he affords to all
who on his succor trust.

O make but trial of his love;
experience will decide
how blest are they, and only they
who in his truth confide.

Fear him, ye saints, and you will then
have nothing else to fear;
make you his service your delight;
your wants shall be his care.

For God preserves the souls of those
who on his truth depend;
to them and their posterity
his blessing shall descend.

We lift our voices in prayers of praise, holy God, for
you have lifted us to new life in Jesus Christ, and your
blessings come in generous measure. Especially we thank
you for
     the privilege of worship and service in your name...
                   (We thank you, Lord.)
     the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ...
     food and drink to share in the Lord's name...
     our calling to discipleship...

We hold up before you human needs, God of compassion, for
you have come to us in Jesus Christ and shared our life
so we may share his resurrection. Especially we pray for
     the healing of those who are sick...
                    (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     the comfort of the dying...
     the renewal of those in despair...
     the Spirit's power in the church...

Pour out upon us, O God,
the power and wisdom of your Spirit,
that we may walk with Christ the way of the cross,
ready to offer even the gift of our lives
to show forth to the world our hope in your kingdom.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

In your great power,
transform all our fear
into faith and awe in your saving presence;

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer are adapted from
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession and the collect are from _Book of Common
Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press