OREMUS: 4 June 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jun 3 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, June 4, 2005
John XXIII, Bishop of Rome, Reformer, 1963

Blessed are you, Lord God,
enthroned in splendor and light,
yet in the coming of your Son Jesus Christ
you reveal the power of your love
made perfect in our human weakness.

I said, 'I will keep watch upon my ways,*
 so that I do not offend with my tongue.
'I will put a muzzle on my mouth*
 while the wicked are in my presence.'
So I held my tongue and said nothing;*
 I refrained from rash words;
   but my pain became unbearable.
My heart was hot within me;
   while I pondered, the fire burst into flame;*
 I spoke out with my tongue:
Lord, let me know my end and the number of my days,*
 so that I may know how short my life is.
You have given me a mere handful of days,
   and my lifetime is as nothing in your sight;*
 truly, even those who stand erect are but a puff of wind.
We walk about like a shadow
   and in vain we are in turmoil;*
 we heap up riches and cannot tell who will gather them.
And now, what is my hope?*
 O Lord, my hope is in you.
Deliver me from all my transgressions*
 and do not make me the taunt of the fool.
I fell silent and did not open my mouth,*
 for surely it was you that did it.
Take your affliction from me;*
 I am worn down by the blows of your hand.
With rebukes for sin you punish us;
   like a moth you eat away all that is dear to us;*
 truly, everyone is but a puff of wind.
Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear to my cry;*
 hold not your peace at my tears.
For I am but a sojourner with you,*
 a wayfarer, as all my forebears were.
Turn your gaze from me, that I may be glad again,*
 before I go my way and am no more.

Psalm 41

Happy are they who consider the poor and needy!*
 the Lord will deliver them in the time of trouble.
The Lord preserves them and keeps them alive,
   so that they may be happy in the land;*
 he does not hand them over to the will of their enemies.
The Lord sustains them on their sick-bed*
 and ministers to them in their illness.
I said, 'Lord, be merciful to me;*
 heal me, for I have sinned against you.'
My enemies are saying wicked things about me:*
 'When will he die and his name perish?'
Even if they come to see me, they speak empty words;*
 their heart collects false rumours;
   they go outside and spread them.
All my enemies whisper together about me*
 and devise evil against me.
'A deadly thing', they say, 'has fastened on him;*
 he has taken to his bed and will never get up again.'Even my
best friend, whom I trusted,
   who broke bread with me,*
 has lifted up his heel and turned against me.
But you, O Lord, be merciful to me and raise me up,*
 and I shall repay them.
By this I know you are pleased with me,*
 that my enemy does not triumph over me.
In my integrity you hold me fast,*
 and shall set me before your face for ever.
Blessed be the Lord God of Israel,*
 from age to age. Amen. Amen.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3:1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
 and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
 but they are at peace.

For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
 their hope is of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little,
 they will receive great good,
 because God tested them and found them worthy.

Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
 and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.

In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
 and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples
 and God will reign over them for ever.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Matthew 8:23-27]:

And when Jesus got into the boat, his disciples followed
him. A gale arose on the lake, so great that the boat was
being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep. And they
went and woke him up, saying, 'Lord, save us! We are
perishing!' And he said to them, 'Why are you afraid, you
of little faith?' Then he got up and rebuked the winds
and the sea; and there was a dead calm. They were amazed,
saying, 'What sort of man is this, that even the winds
and the sea obey him?'

For another Biblical reading,
Genesis 12:9-13:1

HYMN
Words: William Whiting, 1860;
as revised in Hymns Ancient and Modern, 1861;
Tune: Melita
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/e/e038.html

Eternal Father, strong to save,
whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
its own appointed limits keep:
O hear us when we cry to thee
for those in peril on the sea.

O Christ, whose voice the waters heard
and hushed their raging at thy word,
who walkedst on the foaming deep,
and calm amid the storm didst sleep;
O hear us when we cry to thee
for those in peril on the sea.

Most Holy Spirit, who didst brood
upon the chaos dark and rude,
and bid its angry tumult cease,
and give, for wild confusion, peace:
O hear us when we cry to thee
for those in peril on the sea.

O Trinity of love and power,
our brethren shield in danger's hour;
from rock and tempest, fire and foe,
protect them wheresoe'er they go;
thus evermore shall rise to thee
glad hymns of praise from land and sea.

In your glory, Lord, protect us by the power of your name:
that we may be one as you are one.

We are in the world but not of it:
protect us from the evil one.

Give us your word and the full measure of your joy:
sanctify us by your truth.

May your Spirit unite us in the love and glory of Father and Son;
we pray especially for your Church in the Diocese of
Northern Indiana, USA, The Rt Revd Edward Stuart Little, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Northern Luzon, Philippines,
The Rt Revd Renato M Abibico, Bishop.
may we be one that the world may believe.

As you sent your Son into the world:
so send us, to make your glory known.

O God,
you create order out of our chaos,
you turn over our neatly-ordered plans:
Send your revolutionary Holy Spirit into our lives,
that in all we do we may follow you;
through Jesus Christ, the giver of true freedom. Amen.

Almighty God,
whose will it is to heal all division and discord
among those who call upon the name of your Son:
We thank you for the good will shown in your servant John,
and we pray that we may always be ready to hear
our fellow Christians with humility and a willingness to learn,
and may also speak the truth in love,
to the healing of faction and the renewed witness of your people;
through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you
in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and ever. Amen.

Gather your people from the ends of the earth
to feast with all your saints
at the table in your kingdom,
where the new creation is brought to perfection
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

prayers in _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession is from _Patterns for Worship_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 1995.

The first collect is by Stephen T. Benner, 2004.

The second collect is by James Kiefer.

Angelo Roncalli, the third of thirteen children, was born to a family of farmers
25 November 1881 at Sotto il Monte in northern Italy. At the age of twelve he
entered the diocesan seminary at Bergamo and came under the influence of
progressive leaders of the Italian social movement. He then went to the
seminary at Rome on a scholarship, interrupted his education there to serve for
a year as a volunteer in the Italian army, and returned to the seminary to take a
doctorate in theology. He was ordained 10 August 1904.
He was appointed the secretary to the new bishop of Bergamo and with him
learned forms of social action and gained an understanding of the problems of
the working classes. Meanwhile he taught at the diocesan seminary.
In 1915 he was recalled to the army in World War I and served in the medical
and chaplaincy corps. After the war he was made the spiritual director of the
seminary. In 1921 he was called to Rome by the pope and made director of the
Society for the Propagation of the Faith in Italy.
He was consecrated archbishop in 1925 and sent to Bulgaria. At Sofia the
capital he dealt with the problems of Eastern Rite Catholics in a troubled
oriental land.
In 1934 he was sent to Turkey and Greece. There he fostered harmony among
various national groups in Istanbul in a time of anti-religious fervor under
Kemal Ataturk. Archbishop Roncalli introduced the use of the Turkish
language in worship and in the official documents of the church and eventually
won the esteem of some high Turkish statesmen. He made a series of
conciliatory gestures toward the Orthodox and met with the Ecumenical
Patriarch Benjamin in 1939. During World War II Istanbul was a center of
intrigue and espionage, and the archbishop gathered information useful to
Rome and helped Jews flee persecution. His work in Greece, which was
occupied by the Nazis, was less successful.
When he was sixty-four years old (1944), an age when most men are thinking
of retirement, Roncalli was chosen by Pius XII for the difficult post of nuncio
to Paris, where he worked to heal the divisions caused by the war. He travelled
widely.
At age seventy-two he was made cardinal and Patriarch of Venice and he had
charge of a large diocese for the first time in his life. He quickly won the
affection of his people, visiting parishes, caring for the working classes,
establishing new parishes, and developing forms of social action.
In 1958, nearly seventy-seven years old, he was elected pope upon the death of
Pius XII. He was expected by many to be a caretaker and transitional pope, but
he astonished the church and the world with his energy and reforming
spirit.
He expanded and internationalized the college of cardinals, called the first
diocesan synod of Rome in history, revised the code of canon law, and called
the Second Vatican Council to revitalize the church. This council was the
major achievement of his life [and undertook] to renew the life of the church
and its teachings, with the ultimate goal of the reunification of Christianity.
Moreover, as Bishop of Rome, he was unremitting in his care of his diocese,
visiting hospitals, prisons, and schools. When he died 3 June 1963, he had won
the widespread affection of Christian and non-Christian alike. [James
Kiefer]