OREMUS: 2 June 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jun 1 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, June 2, 2005

Blessed are you, Lord God,
enthroned in splendor and light,
yet in the coming of your Son Jesus Christ
you reveal the power of your love
made perfect in our human weakness.

You are to be praised, O God, in Zion;*
 to you shall vows be performed in Jerusalem.
To you that hear prayer shall all flesh come,*
 because of their transgressions.
Our sins are stronger than we are,*
 but you will blot them out.
Happy are they whom you choose
   and draw to your courts to dwell there!*
 they will be satisfied by the beauty of your house,
   by the holiness of your temple.
Awesome things will you show us in your righteousness,
   O God of our salvation,*
 O Hope of all the ends of the earth
   and of the seas that are far away.
You make fast the mountains by your power;*
 they are girded about with might.
You still the roaring of the seas,*
 the roaring of their waves,
   and the clamour of the peoples.
Those who dwell at the ends of the earth
   will tremble at your marvellous signs;*
 you make the dawn and the dusk to sing for joy.
You visit the earth and water it abundantly;
   you make it very plenteous;*
 the river of God is full of water.
You prepare the grain,*
 for so you provide for the earth.
You drench the furrows and smooth out the ridges;*
 with heavy rain you soften the ground
   and bless its increase.
You crown the year with your goodness,*
 and your paths overflow with plenty.
May the fields of the wilderness be rich for grazing,*
 and the hills be clothed with joy.
May the meadows cover themselves with flocks
   and the valleys cloak themselves with grain;*
 let them shout for joy and sing.

A Song of Tobit (Tobit 13:1,3-6a)

Blessed be God, who lives for ever,
whose reign endures throughout all ages.

Declare God's praise before the nations,
you who are the children of Israel.

For if our God has scattered you among them,
there too has he shown you his greatness.

Exalt him in the sight of the living,
because he is our Lord and God and our Father for ever.

Though God punishes you for your wickedness,
mercy will be shown to you all.

God will gather you from every nation,
from wherever you have been scattered.

When you turn to the Lord
with all your heart and soul,
God will hide his face from you no more.

See what the Lord has done for you
and give thanks with a loud voice.

Praise the Lord of righteousness
and exalt the King of the ages.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Matthew 8:14-22]:

When Jesus entered Peter's house, he saw his
mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever; he touched her
hand, and the fever left her, and she got up and began to
serve him. That evening they brought to him many who were
possessed by demons; and he cast out the spirits with a
word, and cured all who were sick. This was to fulfil
what had been spoken through the prophet Isaiah, 'He took
our infirmities and bore our diseases.'
Now when Jesus saw great crowds around him, he gave
orders to go over to the other side. A scribe then
approached and said, 'Teacher, I will follow you wherever
you go.' And Jesus said to him, 'Foxes have holes, and
birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has
nowhere to lay his head.' Another of his disciples said
to him, 'Lord, first let me go and bury my father.' But
Jesus said to him, 'Follow me, and let the dead bury
their own dead.'

For another Biblical reading,
Genesis 12:1-9

HYMN
Words: Emily Elizabeth Steele Elliott, 1864
Tune: Margaret
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t585.html

Thou didst leave thy throne and thy kingly crown,
when thou camest to earth for me;
but in Bethlehem's home was there found no room
for thy holy nativity.
Refrain:
O come to my heart, Lord Jesus,
there is room in my heart for thee.

Heaven's arches rang when the angels sang,
proclaiming thy royal degree;
but of lowly birth didst thou come to earth,
and in great humility. Refrain

The foxes found rest, and the birds their nest
in the shade of the forest tree;
but thy couch was the sod, O thou Son of God,
in the deserts of Galilee. Refrain

Thou camest, O Lord, with the living word
that should set thy children free;
but with mocking scorn and with crown of thorn,
they bore thee to Calvary. Refrain

When the heavens shall ring, and the angels sing,
at thy coming to victory,
let thy voice call me home, saying "Yet there is room,
there is room at my side for thee." Refrain

We pray for the family of the church, for loving relationships,
and for the life of families around us, saying
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, born in poverty and soon a refugee,
be with families today who are poor
and live in hunger and want. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who grew in wisdom and in favor with God and the people
in the family of Joseph the carpenter,
bring wisdom and the presence of God
into the work and growth of families today. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who blessed marriage in the wedding at Cana,
be with those preparing for marriage
and with those who come to the end of their resources. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who healed Peter's mother in law,
bring healing to hurt relationships and families today. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who on the cross said,
'Mother, behold your son',
provide today for those who lose their families,
the bereaved and childless, orphans and widows. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who on the seashore provided food for the disciples,
bring the whole Church on earth and in heaven
 into your risen presence to eat at the eternal banquet.
We pray especially for the Diocese of Northern Argentina,
The Rt Revd Humberto Edmundo Axt, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Northern California, USA,
The Rt Revd Jerry Lamb, Bishop.
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Lord God,
joy marks your presence:
beauty, abundance and peace
are the tokens of your work in all creation.
Work also in our lives,
that by these signs we may see the splendor of your love
and praise you through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Gather your people from the ends of the earth
to feast with all your saints
at the table in your kingdom,
where the new creation is brought to perfection
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

prayers in _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession is from _Patterns for Worship_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 1995.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com