OREMUS: 1 August 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jul 31 18:58:07 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, August1, 2005

the giver of every gift that endures.
By the word of your Son,
you challenge our foolishness,
confront our greed,
and shape our lives
to the wisdom of the Gospel.

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
 because he has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
 I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.'
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*
 in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*
 In my distress I said, 'No one can be trusted.'
How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
   Alleluia!

A Song of Ezekiel (Ezekiel 36:24-26,28b)

I will take you from the nations,
and gather you from all the countries.

I will sprinkle clean water upon you,
and you shall be clean from all your impurities.

A new heart I will give you,
and put a new spirit within you,

And I will remove from your body the heart of stone
and give you a heart of flesh.

You shall be my people,
and I will be your God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Romans 9:6-13]:

It is not as though the word of God had failed. For not
all Israelites truly belong to Israel, and not all of
Abraham's children are his true descendants; but 'It is
through Isaac that descendants shall be named after you.'
This means that it is not the children of the flesh who
are the children of God, but the children of the promise
are counted as descendants. For this is what the promise
said, 'About this time I will return and Sarah shall have
a son.' Nor is that all; something similar happened to
Rebecca when she had conceived children by one husband,
our ancestor Isaac. Even before they had been born or had
done anything good or bad (so that God's purpose of
election might continue, not by works but by his call)
she was told, 'The elder shall serve the younger.' As it
is written, 'I have loved Jacob, but I have hated Esau.'

For another Biblical reading,
Ecclesiastes 3:16-22

HYMN
Words: Henry Alford, 1844
Tune: St. James, Tallis, Jackson
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t183.html

The highest and the holiest place
guards not the heart from sin;
the Church that safest seems without
may harbor foes within.

Thus in the small and chosen band,
beloved above the rest,
one fell from his apostleship,
a traitor-soul unblest.

But not the great designs of God
man's sins shall overthrow;
another witness to the truth
forth to the lands shall go.

The soul that sinneth, it shall die;
thy purpose shall not fail;
the word of grace no less shall sound,
the truth no less prevail.

Righteous, O Lord, are all thy ways;
long as the worlds endure,
from foes without and foes within
thy Church shall stand secure.

Creator and Sustainer of life, God,
who ever calls us back
to his ways of justice and peace:
we thank you for the gift of the land,
for its beauty, and its resources,
and the rich heritage we enjoy.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

And so we pray:
for those who make decisions about our land and its resources;
for those who work on the land and sea,
in our cities, and in commerce and industry;
for artists, scientists, politicians, and visionaries.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
Port Elizabeth, South Africa,
The Rt Revd Nceba Bethlehem Nopece, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea,
The Rt Revd Peter John Fox, Bishop.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

We thank you for giving us life, and for giving us our life together.
We pray for all who through their own or others' actions
are deprived of fullness of life;
for all who know sickness, disability, and an untimely death;
for all who devote their lives to ministering to the needs of others.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Give us reverence for life in this, your created world.
May we reflect the goodness of your creation
in the society we create with and for one another.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Lord,
you shared the limits of our life
to save us from the snares of death;
may we have the courage to walk before you
in the land of the living,
and witness to your presence before all the people;

Quench our thirst with your gift of belief,
that we may no longer work for food that perishes,
but believe in the One whom you have sent. Amen.

The canticle and the collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by David Bromell.