OREMUS: 30 July 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jul 29 21:01:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, July 30, 2005
William Wilberforce, Social Reformer, 1833

Blessed are you, provident Father,
with the prayer your Son taught us always on our lips,
we ask, we seek, we knock at your door.

Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock;*
 shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.
In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh,*
 stir up your strength and come to help us.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts,*
 how long will you be angered
   despite the prayers of your people?
You have fed them with the bread of tears;*
 you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbours,*
 and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
You have brought a vine out of Egypt;*
 you cast out the nations and planted it.
You prepared the ground for it;*
 it took root and filled the land.
The mountains were covered by its shadow*
 and the towering cedar trees by its boughs.
You stretched out its tendrils to the Sea*
 and its branches to the River.
Why have you broken down its wall,*
 so that all who pass by pluck off its grapes?
The wild boar of the forest has ravaged it,*
 and the beasts of the field have grazed upon it.
Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven;
   behold and tend this vine;*
 preserve what your right hand has planted.
They burn it with fire like rubbish;*
 at the rebuke of your countenance let them perish.
Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand,*
 the son of man you have made so strong for yourself.
And so will we never turn away from you;*
 give us life, that we may call upon your name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.

A Song of Pilgrimage (from Ecclesiasticus 51)

While I was still young,
I sought Wisdom openly in my prayer.

Before the temple I asked for her,
and I will search for her until the end.

>From the first blossom to the ripening grape,
my heart delighted in her.

My foot walked on the straight path,
from my youth I followed her steps.

I inclined my ear a little and received her,
I found for myself much instruction.

I made progress in Wisdom;
to the One who sent her,
I will give glory.

I directed my soul to Wisdom,
and in purity have I found her.

With her, I gained understanding from the first,
therefore will I never be forsaken.

My heart was stirred to seek her,
with my tongue will I sing God's praise.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [1 Kings 10:1-13]:

When the queen of Sheba heard of the fame of Solomon,
(fame due to the name of the LORD), she came to test him
with hard questions. She came to Jerusalem with a very
great retinue, with camels bearing spices, and very much
gold, and precious stones; and when she came to Solomon,
she told him all that was on her mind. Solomon answered
all her questions; there was nothing hidden from the king
that he could not explain to her. When the queen of Sheba
had observed all the wisdom of Solomon, the house that he
had built, the food of his table, the seating of his
officials, and the attendance of his servants, their
clothing, his valets, and his burnt-offerings that he
offered at the house of the LORD, there was no more
spirit in her.
So she said to the king, 'The report was true that I
heard in my own land of your accomplishments and of your
wisdom, but I did not believe the reports until I came
and my own eyes had seen it. Not even half had been told
me; your wisdom and prosperity far surpass the report
that I had heard. Happy are your wives! Happy are these
your servants, who continually attend you and hear your
wisdom! Blessed be the LORD your God, who has delighted
in you and set you on the throne of Israel! Because the
LORD loved Israel for ever, he has made you king to
execute justice and righteousness.' Then she gave the
king one hundred and twenty talents of gold, a great
quantity of spices, and precious stones; never again did
spices come in such quantity as that which the queen of
Sheba gave to King Solomon.
Moreover, the fleet of Hiram, which carried gold from
Ophir, brought from Ophir a great quantity of almug wood
and precious stones. From the almug wood the king made
supports for the house of the LORD, and for the king's
house, lyres also and harps for the singers; no such
almug wood has come or been seen to this day.
Meanwhile, King Solomon gave to the queen of Sheba every
desire that she expressed, as well as what he gave her
out of Solomon's royal bounty. Then she returned to her
own land, with her servants.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 13:1-13

HYMN
Words: Edward Henry Plumptre (1821-1891)
Tune:  Edward Henry Plumptre (1821-1891)
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o411.html

O Lord of hosts, all heaven possessing,
behold us from thy sapphire throne,
in doubt and darkness dimly guessing,
we might thy glory half have known;
but thou in Christ hast made us thine,
and on us all thy beauties shine.

Illumine all, disciples, teachers,
thy law's deep wonders to unfold;
with reverent hand let wisdom's preachers
bring forth their treasures, new and old;
let oldest, youngest, find in thee
of truth and love the boundless sea.

Let faith still light the lamp of science,
and knowledge pass from truth to truth,
and wisdom, in its full reliance,
renew the primal awe of youth;
so holier, wiser, may we grow,
as time's swift currents onward flow.

Bind thou our life in fullest union
with all thy saints from sin set free;
uphold us in that blest communion
of all thy saints on earth with thee;
keep thou our souls, or there or here,
in mightiest love, that casts out fear.

In every time of trouble,
you, O God, are a very present help.
You are with us, sustaining our world in freedom,
restraining the powers of darkness, of death and of destruction;
embracing us all with arms of love, to enfold and to hold.
And so we bring to you our prayers for ourselves,
for those we love, and for our world.

We pray for ourselves and our own needs:
Whatever you would have us to be;
whatever we need to love our neighbor as ourselves,
whatever we need to love one another:
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those we love:
Our hopes and dreams for them;
our anguish and anxiety on their behalf;
our desire to make life easier for them.
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

We pray for our world:
Our pain at what we have done to creation;
our wonder at the beauty of that which we have not yet spoiled;
our calling to establish justice and peace.
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
Popondota, Papua New Guinea.
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd:
you have led us to the kingdom of your Father's love.
Forgive our careless indifference
to your loving care for all your creatures,
and remake us in the likeness of your new and risen life.
We ask this in your Name. Amen.

God our deliverer,
who sent your Son Jesus Christ
to set your people free from the slavery of sin:
grant that, as your servant William Wilberforce
toiled against the sin of slavery,
so we may bring compassion to all
and work for the freedom of all the children of God;

Out of your never-failing abundance,
satisfy the hungers of body and soul
and lead all peoples of the earth
to the feast of the world to come. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by David Bromell.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

William Wilberforce was born in 1759 and served in Parliament from 1780 to
1825. A turning point in his religious life was a tour of Europe. In the luggage
of a travelling companion he saw a copy of William Law's book, A Serious Call
to a Devout and Holy Life. He asked his friend, "What is this?" and received
the answer, "One of the best books ever written." The two of them agreed to
read it together on the journey, and Wilberforce embarked on a lifelong
program of setting aside Sundays and an interval each morning on arising for
prayer and religious reading. He considered his options, including the clergy,
and was persuaded by Christian friends that his calling was to serve God
through politics. He was a major supporter of programs for popular education,
overseas missions, parliamentary reform, and religious liberty. He is best
known, however, for his untiring commitment to the abolition of slavery and
the slave trade. He introduced his first anti-slavery motion in the House of
Commons in 1788, in a three-and-a-half hour oration that concluded: "Sir,
when we think of eternity and the future consequence of all human conduct,
what is there in this life that shall make any man contradict the dictates of his
conscience, the principles of justice and the law of God!"
The motion was defeated. Wilberforce brought it up again every year for
eighteen years, until the slave trade was finally abolished on 25 March 1806.
He continued the campaign against slavery itself, and the bill for the abolition
of all slavery in British territories passed its crucial vote just four days before
his death on 29 July 1833. A year later, on 31 July 1834, 800,000 slaves,
chiefly in the British West Indies, were set free. [James Kiefer]