OREMUS: 28 July 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jul 27 22:35:36 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, July 28, 2005
Brooke Foss Westcott, Bishop of Durham, Teacher of the Faith, 1901

Blessed are you, provident Father,
with the prayer your Son taught us always on our lips,
we ask, we seek, we knock at your door.

   Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

Psalm 124

If the Lord had not been on our side,*
 let Israel now say;
If the Lord had not been on our side,*
 when enemies rose up against us;
Then would they have swallowed us up alive*
 in their fierce anger towards us;
Then would the waters have overwhelmed us*
 and the torrent gone over us;
Then would the raging waters*
 have gone right over us.
Blessed be the Lord!*
 he has not given us over to be a prey for their teeth.
We have escaped like a bird
   from the snare of the fowler;*
 the snare is broken and we have escaped.
Our help is in the name of the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Ecclesiastes 3:9-15]:

What gain have the workers from their toil? I have seen
the business that God has given to everyone to be busy
with. He has made everything suitable for its time;
moreover, he has put a sense of past and future into
their minds, yet they cannot find out what God has done
from the beginning to the end. I know that there is
nothing better for them than to be happy and enjoy
themselves as long as they live; moreover, it is God's
gift that all should eat and drink and take pleasure in
all their toil. I know that whatever God does endures for
ever; nothing can be added to it, nor anything taken from
it; God has done this, so that all should stand in awe
before him. That which is, already has been; that which
is to be, already is; and God seeks out what has gone by.

For another Biblical reading,
1 Timothy 6:11-16

HYMN
Words: (c) Carl P. Daw, Jr.
Tune: Leoni
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b005.html

Be joyful in the Lord;
be joyful, all you lands.
With gladness come before the Lord;
draw near with song.
Know that the Lord is God,
who made us and still stands
to guard the folk, who like a flock,
to God belong.

Approach God's house with thanks
and fill its courts with praise;
with awe invoke God's holy Name:
come and adore.
The Lord our God is good,
whose mercy lasts always
and whose great faithfulness endures
for evermore.

Lord of our lives,
we have decided to follow Jesus
and have chosen to be in your Kingdom.
Give us courage, discernment and an unwavering faith.

We pray for your Church throughout the world,
especially the Diocese of Peshawar, Pakistan,
The Rt Revd Munawar Kenneth Rumalshah, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Phulbani, India, The Rt Revd D K Mohanty, Bishop.
Shed forth your spirit of discipleship upon us.

When we are uncertain,
reveal a vision.

When we are passive,
light a fire.

When we are tempted,
send your Spirit.

Enfold us in your love,
wrap us about with assurance
and infuse us with determination,
that we may be true disciples
and all the world may see the love of Jesus Christ in us. Amen.

God, maker of heaven and earth,
you save us in the water of baptism
and by the suffering of your Son you set us free:
help us to put our trust in his victory
and to know that there is salvation
only in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Sovereign God,
we have come to your kingdom,
surrounded by the multitude of angels and saints
who work for us and work for you, our Lord.
We remember especially your servant Brooke Foss Westcott,
who taught us to overcome the barriers which hinder us
and the differences which we dare not conceal,
that we may enter into that deeper-lying bond
of righteousness, peace and joy
which unites us all in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit

Out of your never-failing abundance,
satisfy the hungers of body and soul
and lead all peoples of the earth
to the feast of the world to come. Amen.

The psalms, the first collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Hymn (c) Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com

The intercession is adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer by Arlene M.
Mark, from _Words for Worship_; used by permission of Herald
Press.
The second collect is by Stephen T. Benner.

Born in 1825, Westcott was first ordained and then became a master at
Harrow School. Whilst there, he published a series of scholarly works on the
Bible, his expertise eventually leading to his election as Regius Professor of
Divinity at the University of Cambridge in 1870. With Fenton Hort and J B
Lightfoot, he led a revival in British biblical studies and theology. He became
influential too in the field of Anglican social thought and was significant in the
founding of the Clergy Training School in Cambridge (later renamed Westcott
House in his memory). In 1890, he was consecrated Bishop of Durham, where
he died on this day in 1901. [Exciting Holiness]