OREMUS: 27 July 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jul 26 20:14:06 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Blessed are you, provident Father,
with the prayer your Son taught us always on our lips,
we ask, we seek, we knock at your door.

Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion,*
 which cannot be moved, but stands fast for ever.
The hills stand about Jerusalem;*
 so does the Lord stand round about his people,
   from this time forth for evermore.
The sceptre of the wicked shall not hold sway
   over the land allotted to the just,*
 so that the just shall not put their hands to evil.
Show your goodness, O Lord, to those who are good*
 and to those who are true of heart.
As for those who turn aside to crooked ways,
   the Lord will lead them away with the evildoers;*
 but peace be upon Israel.

Psalm 126

When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion,*
 then were we like those who dream.
Then was our mouth filled with laughter,*
 and our tongue with shouts of joy.
Then they said among the nations,*
 'The Lord has done great things for them.'
The Lord has done great things for us,*
 and we are glad indeed.
Restore our fortunes, O Lord,*
 like the watercourses of the Negev.
Those who sowed with tears*
 will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping, carrying the seed,*
 will come again with joy, shouldering their sheaves.

Psalm 127

Unless the Lord builds the house,*
 their labour is in vain who build it.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,*
 in vain the guard keeps vigil.
It is in vain that you rise so early
   and go to bed so late;*
 vain, too, to eat the bread of toil,
   for he gives to his beloved sleep.
Children are a heritage from the Lord,*
 and the fruit of the womb is a gift.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior*
 are the children of one's youth.
Happy are they who have their quiver full of them!*
 they shall not be put to shame
   when they contend with their enemies in the gate.

A Song of the Bride (Isaiah 61.10,11; 62.1-3)

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
my soul shall exult in my God;

Who has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
and has covered me with the cloak of integrity,

As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
and as seeds in the garden spring up,

So shall God make righteousness and praise
blossom before all the nations.

For Zion's sake, I will not keep silent,
and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest,

Until her deliverance shines out like the dawn,
and her salvation as a burning torch.

The nations shall see your deliverance,
and all rulers shall see your glory;

Then you shall be called by a new name
which the mouth of God will give.

You shall be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Ecclesiastes 2:12-23]:

So I turned to consider wisdom and madness and folly;
for what can the one do who comes after the king?
Only what has already been done. Then I saw that
wisdom excels folly as light excels darkness.
The wise have eyes in their head,
   but fools walk in darkness.
Yet I perceived that the same fate befalls all of them.
Then I said to myself, ‘What happens to the fool will
happen to me also; why then have I been so very wise?’
And I said to myself that this also is vanity. For
there is no enduring remembrance of the wise or of
fools, seeing that in the days to come all will
have been long forgotten. How can the wise die just
like fools? So I hated life, because what is done
under the sun was grievous to me; for all is vanity
and a chasing after wind. I hated all my toil in which
I had toiled under the sun, seeing that I must leave it
to those who come after me —and who knows whether they
will be wise or foolish? Yet they will be master of all
for which I toiled and used my wisdom under the sun. This
also is vanity. So I turned and gave my heart up to despair
concerning all the toil of my labours under the sun, because
sometimes one who has toiled with wisdom and knowledge and
skill must leave all to be enjoyed by another who did not
toil for it. This also is vanity and a great evil. What do
mortals get from all the toil and strain with which they
toil under the sun? For all their days are full of pain,
and their work is a vexation; even at night their minds do
not rest. This also is vanity.

For another Biblical reading,
1 Timothy 6:2c-10

HYMN
Words: Latin, ca. 1661; trans. Athelstan Riley, 1906
Tune: In allen meinen Taten, O Esca Viatorum, O Welt, ich muss dich lassen
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o131.html

O Food of men wayfaring,
the bread of angels sharing,
O Manna from on high!
We hunger; Lord, supply us,
nor thy delights deny us,
whose hearts to thee draw nigh.

O stream of love past telling,
O purest fountain, welling
from out the Savior's side!
We faint with thirst; revive us,
of thine abundance give us,
and all we need provide.

O Jesus, by thee bidden,
we here adore thee, hidden
'neath forms of bread and wine.
Grant when the veil is riven,
we may behold, in heaven,
thy countenance divine.

Under your holy wings, you gather us, O God,
and you shelter us by your grace.

Together in faith communities,
you call us share your love and mercy.
Gather us in, O God.

We give you thanks for all that gives shape to life in community:
devotion to apostolic teaching,
sharing in fellowship around your Word and Table,
continuous prayer for the world and the Church.
Gather us in, O God.

Save your Church from formless piety.
Gather us in, O God.

Help families and the leaders of households to pattern faith.
Gather us in, O God.

Choose and renew our leaders for disciple-making.
Gather us in, O God.

Uphold those who seek peace with justice.
Gather us in, O God.

Give light to all who strive to discern what is right.
Gather us in, O God.

Comfort the dying.
Gather us in, O God.

Heal the broken and suffering.
Gather us in, O God.

The windows of Christ's Mysteries
split the Light up into Many-coloured loveliness,
disclose all of its hidden richness
and make its beauty more accessible to us. Amen.

O God,
Origin, Sustainer, and End of all your creatures:
Grant that your Church,
taught by your servant Evelyn Underhill,
guarded evermore by your power,
and guided by your Spirit into the light of truth,
may continually offer to you all glory and thanksgiving,
and attain with your saints
to the blessed hope of everlasting life,
which you have promised us by our Savior Jesus Christ;
who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns,

Amid the cares of our daily lives,
make us attentive to your voice
and alert to your presence,
that we may treasure your Word above all else. Amen.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com