OREMUS: 26 July 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jul 25 20:07:38 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, July 26, 2005
The Parents of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Blessed are you, provident Father,
with the prayer your Son taught us always on our lips,
we ask, we seek, we knock at your door.

When I was in trouble I called to the Lord,*
 I called to the Lord and he answered me.
Deliver me, O Lord, from lying lips*
 and from the deceitful tongue.
What shall be done to you and what more besides,*
 O you deceitful tongue?
The sharpened arrows of a warrior,*
 along with hot glowing coals.
How hateful it is that I must lodge in Meshech*
 and dwell among the tents of Kedar!
Too long have I had to live*
 among the enemies of peace.
I am on the side of peace,*
 but when I speak of it, they are for war.

Psalm 121

I lift up my eyes to the hills;*
 from where is my help to come?
My help comes from the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved*
 and he who watches over you will not fall asleep.
Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel*
 shall neither slumber nor sleep;
The Lord himself watches over you;*
 the Lord is your shade at your right hand,
So that the sun shall not strike you by day,*
 nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;*
 it is he who shall keep you safe.
The Lord shall watch over your going out
   and your coming in,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

Psalm 122

I was glad when they said to me,*
 'Let us go to the house of the Lord.'
Now our feet are standing*
 within your gates, O Jerusalem.
Jerusalem is built as a city*
 that is at unity with itself.
To which the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord,*
 the assembly of Israel, to praise the name of the Lord.
For there are the thrones of judgement,*
 the thrones of the house of David.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:*
 'May they prosper who love you.
'Peace be within your walls*
 and quietness within your towers.
'For my family and companions' sake,*
 I pray for your prosperity.
'Because of the house of the Lord our God,*
 I will seek to do you good.'

A Song of the Lamb (from Revelation 19)

Salvation and glory and power belong to our God,
 whose judgements are true and just.

Praise our God, all you his servants,
 all who fear him, both small and great.

The Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns:
 let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory.

The marriage of the Lamb has come
 and his bride has made herself ready.

Blessed are those who are invited
 to the wedding banquet of the Lamb.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

READING [Ecclesiastes 2:1-11]:

I said to myself, 'Come now, I will make a test of
pleasure; enjoy yourself.' But again, this also was
vanity. I said of laughter, 'It is mad', and of pleasure,
'What use is it?' I searched with my mind how to cheer my
body with wine my mind still guiding me with wisdom and
how to lay hold on folly, until I might see what was good
for mortals to do under heaven during the few days of
their life. I made great works; I built houses and
planted vineyards for myself; I made myself gardens and
parks, and planted in them all kinds of fruit trees. I
made myself pools from which to water the forest of
growing trees. I bought male and female slaves, and had
slaves who were born in my house; I also had great
possessions of herds and flocks, more than any who had
been before me in Jerusalem. I also gathered for myself
silver and gold and the treasure of kings and of the
provinces; I got singers, both men and women, and
delights of the flesh, and many concubines.
So I became great and surpassed all who were before me in
Jerusalem; also my wisdom remained with me. Whatever my
eyes desired I did not keep from them; I kept my heart
from no pleasure, for my heart found pleasure in all my
toil, and this was my reward for all my toil. Then I
considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had
spent in doing it, and again, all was vanity and a
chasing after wind, and there was nothing to be gained
under the sun.

For another Biblical reading,
1 Timothy 5:17-22

HYMN
Words: James Weldon Johnson, 1899
Tune: Lift every voice and sing
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l117.html

Lift every voice and sing
till earth and heaven ring,
ring with the harmonies of liberty.
Let our rejoicing rise
high as the listening skies;
let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us;
sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us;
facing the rising sun
of our new day begun,
let us march on, till victory is won.

Stony the road we trod,
bitter the chastening rod,
felt in the days when hope unborn had died;
yet, with a steady beat,
have not our weary feet
come to the place for which our parents sighed?
We have come over a way that with tears have been watered;
we have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered,
out from the gloomy past,
till now we stand at last
where the white gleam of our bright star is cast.

God of our weary years,
God of our silent tears,
thou who hast brought us thus far on the way;
thou who hast by thy might led us into the light;
keep us for ever in the path, we pray.
Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met thee;
lest, our hearts drunk with the wine of the world, we forget thee;
shadowed beneath thy hand
may we for ever stand,
true to our God, true to our native land.

Aware of God's gracious love for all creation,
let us pray for Christ's Church, the world and all who stand in need.

For the Church throughout the world,
especially in the Diocese of Peshawar, Pakistan,
The Rt Revd Munawar Kenneth Rumalshah, Bishop.
that we  may proclaim the Good News
and bring reconciliation and healing to this planet.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For all Christians,
that they may know the power of the living Christ
and serve in faithful discipleship
filled with grace and love and peace.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For our country,
that its leaders may govern wisely and with compassion;
that its people may act responsibly toward one another
with fairness and for the common good.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For all nations,
that all peoples shall know peace with justice,
that together they may recognize their common interdependence
in sharing the resources of earth.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For the ties that bind us together,
that family members may respect one another with tender care,
that children are reared with a trust in the goodness of life,
that relations between friend and friend be open in loving honesty.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For those who are in trouble or in danger,
that regardless of circumstance
they may find hope and release
and know that they are not alone, but abide in you.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For the spread of God's good news to all the world,
that people shall increasingly seek to know God
and find their rest in him who came to save us,
Jesus Christ our Lord.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

God of consolation,
look upon us, pilgrims in a strange land:
preserve us from slander and deceit,
show us the truth
and give to our souls the peace Christ won upon the cross.
To him be glory for ever! Amen.

Lord God of Israel,
who bestowed such grace on Anne and Joachim
that their daughter Mary grew up obedient to your word
and made ready to be the mother of your Son:
help us to commit ourselves in all things to your keeping
and grant us the salvation you promised to your people;

Out of your never-failing abundance,
satisfy the hungers of body and soul
and lead all peoples of the earth
to the feast of the world to come. Amen.

The psalms, the first collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted from _Chalice Worship_, (c)
Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.