OREMUS: 25 July 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jul 24 23:44:18 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, July 25, 2005
Saint James the Apostle

Blessed are you, God of love,
for you have established our paths
and proclaimed the truth of your love and salvation
through your holy Church,
giving us that which is more precious than anything
we could ever experience or dare to imagine.

O Lord my God, I take refuge in you;*
 save and deliver me from all who pursue me;
Lest like a lion they tear me in pieces*
 and snatch me away with none to deliver me.
O Lord my God, if I have done these things:*
 if there is any wickedness in my hands,
If I have repaid my friend with evil,*
 or plundered one who without cause is my enemy;
Then let my enemy pursue and overtake me,*
 trample my life into the ground,
   and lay my honour in the dust.
Stand up, O Lord, in your wrath;*
 rise up against the fury of my enemies.
Awake, O my God, decree justice;*
 let the assembly of the peoples gather round you.
Be seated on your lofty throne, O Most High;*
 O Lord, judge the nations.
Give judgement for me
   according to my righteousness, O Lord,*
 and according to my innocence, O Most High.
Let the malice of the wicked come to an end,
   but establish the righteous;*
 for you test the mind and heart, O righteous God.
God is my shield and defence;*
 he is the saviour of the true in heart.
God is a righteous judge;*
 God sits in judgement every day.
If they will not repent, God will whet his sword;*
 he will bend his bow and make it ready.
He has prepared his weapons of death;*
 he makes his arrows shafts of fire.
Look at those who are in labour with wickedness,*
 who conceive evil and give birth to a lie.
They dig a pit and make it deep*
 and fall into the hole that they have made.
Their malice turns back upon their own head;*
 their violence falls on their own scalp.
I will bear witness that the Lord is righteous;*
 I will praise the name of the Lord Most High.

Psalm 29

Ascribe to the Lord, you gods,*
 ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due to his name;*
 worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
The voice of the Lord is upon the waters;
   the God of glory thunders;*
 the Lord is upon the mighty waters.
The voice of the Lord is a powerful voice;*
 the voice of the Lord is a voice of splendour.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedar trees;*
 the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon;
He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,*
 and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord splits the flames of fire;
   the voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;*
 the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord makes the oak trees writhe*
 and strips the forests bare.
And in the temple of the Lord*
 all are crying, 'Glory!'
The Lord sits enthroned above the flood;*
 the Lord sits enthroned as king for evermore.
The Lord shall give strength to his people;*
 the Lord shall give his people the blessing of peace.

A Song of Ezekiel (Ezekiel 36:24-26,28b)

I will take you from the nations,
and gather you from all the countries.

I will sprinkle clean water upon you,
and you shall be clean from all your impurities.

A new heart I will give you,
and put a new spirit within you,

And I will remove from your body the heart of stone
and give you a heart of flesh.

You shall be my people,
and I will be your God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Acts 11:27-12:2]:

At that time prophets came down from Jerusalem to
Antioch. One of them named Agabus stood up and predicted
by the Spirit that there would be a severe famine over
all the world; and this took place during the reign of
Claudius. The disciples determined that according to
their ability, each would send relief to the believers
living in Judea; this they did, sending it to the elders
by Barnabas and Saul. About that time King Herod laid
violent hands upon some who belonged to the church. He
had James, the brother of John, killed with the sword.

For another Biblical reading,
Jeremiah 45:1-5

HYMN
Words: Scottish Paraphrase, 1745;
as altered in the Hymnal of 1826
Tune: St. Fulbert, St. Flavian

Lo! what a cloud of witnesses
encompass us around!
Men once like us with suffering tried,
but now with glory crowned.

Let us, with zeal like theirs inspired,
strive in the Christian race;
and, freed from every weight of sin,
their holy footsteps trace.

Behold a Witness nobler still,
who trod affliction's path:
Jesus, the author, finisher,
rewarder of our faith.

He, for the joy before him set,
and moved by pitying love,
endured the cross, despised the shame,
and now he reigns above.

Thither, forgetting things behind,
press we to God's right hand;
there, with the Savior and his saints,
triumphantly to stand.

Let us pray to God,
whose word was entrusted to the Apostles
and has spread to all the world.

Empower your Church
to proclaim the saving message of Jesus Christ.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Give us courage and strength
to spread the Gospel in places
where it has not been preached.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Bless us in our personal lives
that we may live fully according to Jesus' example.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Open our eyes to your Word in the Holy Scriptures
that we find new paths of understanding.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Remember, in your mercy, those who have gone before
marked with the sign of faith and led by the Gospel.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

O gracious God,
whose apostle James left his father
and all that he had,
and without delay obeyed the call
of your Son Jesus Christ:
Pour out upon the leaders of your Church
the same spirit of self-denying service
by which alone they may have true authority
among your people;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Out of your never-failing abundance,
satisfy the hungers of body and soul
and lead all peoples of the earth
to the feast of the world to come. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and is loosely based
on a prayer by Leslie Brandt.

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995,
The Anglican Church of Australia Trust Corporation.

The intercession is by Stephen Benner, and is based loosely on a prayer by
Raymond Chapman in _Leading Intercessions_, (c) 2000,
Canterbury Press.

James the son of Zebedee and his brother John were among the twelve
disciples of Our Lord. They, together with Peter, were privileged to behold the
Transfiguration , to witness the healing of Peter's mother-in-law (P 1:29) and
the raising of the daughter of Jairus, and to be called aside to watch and pray
with Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane on the night before His death.
James and John were apparently from a higher social level than the average
fisherman. Their father could afford hired servants, and John (assuming him to
be identical with the "beloved disciple") had connections with the high priest.
Jesus nicknamed the two brothers "sons of thunder", perhaps meaning that
they were headstrong, hot-tempered, and impulsive; and so they seem to be in
two incidents reported in the Gospels. On one occasion, Jesus and the disciples
were refused the hospitality of a Samaritan village, and James and John
proposed to call down fire from heaven on the offenders. On another occasion
, they asked Jesus for a special place of honor in the Kingdom, and were told
that the place of honor is the place of suffering.
Finally, about AD 42, shortly before Passover (Acts 12), James was beheaded
by order of King Herod Agrippa I, grandson of Herod the Great (who tried to
kill the infant Jesus--Matthew 2), nephew of Herod Antipas (who killed John
the Baptist--Mark 6--and examined Jesus on Good Friday--Luke 23), and
father of Herod Agrippa II (who heard the defence of Paul before Festus--Acts
25). James was the first of the Twelve to suffer martyrdom, and the only one of
the Twelve whose death is recorded in the New Testament.
James is often called James Major (= greater or elder) to distinguish him from
other New Testament persons called James. Tradition has it that he made a
missionary journey to Spain, and that after his death his body was taken to
Spain and buried there. at Compostela. His supposed burial place there was a
major site of pilgrimage in the Middle Ages. [James Kiefer, abridged]