OREMUS: 24 July 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jul 23 20:20:27 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, July 24, 2005
The Tenth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, provident Father,
with the prayer your Son taught us always on our lips,
we ask, we seek, we knock at your door.

I hate those who have a divided heart,*
 but your law do I love.
You are my refuge and shield;*
 my hope is in your word.
Away from me, you wicked!*
 I will keep the commandments of my God.
Sustain me according to your promise, that I may live,*
 and let me not be disappointed in my hope.
Hold me up and I shall be safe,*
 and my delight shall be ever in your statutes.
You spurn all who stray from your statutes;*
 their deceitfulness is in vain.

In your sight all the wicked of the earth are but dross;*
 therefore I love your decrees.
My flesh trembles with dread of you;*
 I am afraid of your judgements.

I have done what is just and right;*
 do not deliver me to my oppressors.
Be surety for your servant's good;*
 let not the proud oppress me.
My eyes have failed from watching for your salvation*
 and for your righteous promise.
Deal with your servant
   according to your loving-kindness*
 and teach me your statutes.
I am your servant; grant me understanding,*
 that I may know your decrees.
It is time for you to act, O Lord,*
 for they have broken your law.
Truly, I love your commandments*
 more than gold and precious stones.
I hold all your commandments to be right for me;*
 all paths of falsehood I abhor.

Your decrees are wonderful;*
 therefore I obey them with all my heart.
When your word goes forth it gives light;*
 it gives understanding to the simple.
I open my mouth and pant;*
 I long for your commandments.
Turn to me in mercy,*
 as you always do to those who love your name.
Steady my footsteps in your word;*
 let no iniquity have dominion over me.
Rescue me from those who oppress me,*
 and I will keep your commandments.
Let your countenance shine upon your servant*
 and teach me your statutes.
My eyes shed streams of tears,*
 because people do not keep your law.

Benedicite: A Song of Creation

Bless the Lord all you works of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you heavens:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you angels of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all people on earth:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

O people of God bless the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you priests of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you servants of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all you of upright spirit:
 bless the Lord you that are holy and humble in heart;

Bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Genesis 29:31-30:22]:

When the LORD saw that Leah was unloved, he opened her
womb; but Rachel was barren. Leah conceived and bore a
son, and she named him Reuben; for she said, 'Because the
LORD has looked on my affliction; surely now my husband
will love me.' She conceived again and bore a son, and
said, 'Because the LORD has heard that I am hated, he has
given me this son also'; and she named him Simeon. Again
she conceived and bore a son, and said, 'Now this time my
husband will be joined to me, because I have borne him
three sons'; therefore he was named Levi. She conceived
again and bore a son, and said, 'This time I will praise
the LORD'; therefore she named him Judah; then she ceased
bearing.
When Rachel saw that she bore Jacob no children, she
envied her sister; and she said to Jacob, 'Give me
children, or I shall die!' Jacob became very angry with
Rachel and said, 'Am I in the place of God, who has
withheld from you the fruit of the womb?' Then she said,
'Here is my maid Bilhah; go in to her, that she may bear
upon my knees and that I too may have children through
her.' So she gave him her maid Bilhah as a wife; and
Jacob went in to her. And Bilhah conceived and bore Jacob
a son. Then Rachel said, 'God has judged me, and has also
heard my voice and given me a son'; therefore she named
him Dan. Rachel's maid Bilhah conceived again and bore
Jacob a second son. Then Rachel said, 'With mighty
wrestlings I have wrestled with my sister, and have
prevailed'; so she named him Naphtali.
When Leah saw that she had ceased bearing children, she
took her maid Zilpah and gave her to Jacob as a wife.
Then Leah's maid Zilpah bore Jacob a son. And Leah said,
'Good fortune!' so she named him Gad. Leah's maid Zilpah
bore Jacob a second son. And Leah said, 'Happy am I! For
the women will call me happy'; so she named him Asher.
In the days of wheat harvest Reuben went and found
mandrakes in the field, and brought them to his mother
Leah. Then Rachel said to Leah, 'Please give me some of
your son's mandrakes.' But she said to her, 'Is it a
small matter that you have taken away my husband? Would
you take away my son's mandrakes also?' Rachel said,
'Then he may lie with you tonight for your son's
mandrakes.' When Jacob came from the field in the
evening, Leah went out to meet him, and said, 'You must
come in to me; for I have hired you with my son's
mandrakes.' So he lay with her that night. And God heeded
Leah, and she conceived and bore Jacob a fifth son. Leah
said, 'God has given me my hire because I gave my maid to
my husband'; so she named him Issachar. And Leah
conceived again, and she bore Jacob a sixth son. Then
Leah said, 'God has endowed me with a good dowry; now my
husband will honour me, because I have borne him six
sons'; so she named him Zebulun. Afterwards she bore a
daughter, and named her Dinah.
Then God remembered Rachel, and God heeded her and opened
her womb.

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 10:5-15

HYMN
Words: Alan Luff    1989
Tune: Bunessan
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f180.html

For all your blessings,
Jesus, we praise you,
gracious in mercy,
strong to console.
You to our need bring
comfort and healing,
love and forgiveness,
making us whole.

Daily around us,
pain and confusion
crumble our feeble
faith into dust.
Yet still we find your
love in the darkness,
changing our anxious
thoughts into trust.

We carry with us
into your presence
prisoners of sickness,
sadness, and fear;
grant them to know your
peace in their suffering
and new life flowing,
for you are near.

Grant us, your servants,
grace to work with you,
that in your loving
task we may share
mind's understanding,
hands skilled for healing,
hearts of compassion,
joined in love's care.

O God, Creator of all that is and is to be,
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

O God the Son, restorer of all creation
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

O God the Spirit, ground of all holiness,
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

O Holy, Blessed and Glorious Trinity,
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Uphold and govern the Churches of the Anglican Communion;
direct them into love and truth;
and grant them that unity which is your will.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Give us such a sense of your love,
and such a vision of your purpose for all creation
that we may receive new understanding of your mercy
and, resisting schism, boldly proclaim the gospel.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Enlighten Rowan, 104th Archbishop of Canterbury,
with your special grace;
grant to him wisdom, knowledge and understanding;
empower him with such gifts of reconciliation and love
that, embracing difference and diversity,
our church may joyfully proclaim your word.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Give us discerning and receptive minds;
where there is anger, grant reconciliation;
where there is prejudice, grant openness;
where there is fearfulness, give serenity;
where there is ambition, give humility.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Endow us with clarity of thought,
generosity of mind, and charity of speech;
grant us gifts of patience and forbearance;
may we delight in the truth
and be surprised by the Spirit.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Bring into the way of truth all who have erred
and are deceived.
Hear us, good Lord.

Strengthen those who stand;
comfort and help the faint-hearted;
raise up the fallen;
and finally beat down all the powers of darkness.
Holy God,
Holy and strong,
Holy and immortal,
Have mercy upon us.

Heavenly Father,
you have called us
in the Body of your Son Jesus Christ
to continue his work of reconciliation
and reveal you to humankind.
Forgive us the sins that tear us apart;
give us the courage to overcome our fears
and to seek that unity
which is your gift and your will;

Out of your never-failing abundance,
satisfy the hungers of body and soul
and lead all peoples of the earth
to the feast of the world to come. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Hymn (c) 1989 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com

The intercession is by The Revd Dr Trevor James, Vicar of St Mary's Anglican
Church, Hawera, New Zealand, drawing on traditional models to create a
litany; adapted