OREMUS: 23 July 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jul 22 21:05:29 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, July 23, 2005

Blessed are you, merciful God;
so abundant is your compassion
that you healed the wounds of our sins
and lifted out of death into new life
through your Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

We give you thanks, O God, we give you thanks,*
 calling upon your name
   and declaring all your wonderful deeds.
'I will appoint a time,' says God;*
 'I will judge with equity.
'Though the earth and all its inhabitants are quaking,*
 I will make its pillars fast.
'I will say to the boasters, "Boast no more",*
 and to the wicked, "Do not toss your horns;
'"Do not toss your horns so high,*
 nor speak with a proud neck."'
For judgement is neither from the east
   nor from the west,*
 nor yet from the wilderness or the mountains.
It is God who judges;*
 he puts down one and lifts up another.
For in the Lord's hand there is a cup,
   full of spiced and foaming wine, which he pours out,*
 and all the wicked of the earth
   shall drink and drain the dregs.
But I will rejoice for ever;*
 I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.
He shall break off all the horns of the wicked;*
 but the horns of the righteous shall be exalted.

Psalm 76

In Judah is God known;*
 his name is great in Israel.
At Salem is his tabernacle,*
 and his dwelling is in Zion.
There he broke the flashing arrows,*
 the shield, the sword and the weapons of battle.
How glorious you are!*
 more splendid than the everlasting mountains!
The strong of heart have been despoiled;
   they sink into sleep;*
 none of the warriors can lift a hand.
At your rebuke, O God of Jacob,*
 both horse and rider lie stunned.
What terror you inspire!*
 who can stand before you when you are angry?
>From heaven you pronounced judgement;*
 the earth was afraid and was still;
When God rose up to judgement*
 and to save all the oppressed of the earth.
Truly, wrathful Edom will give you thanks,*
 and the remnant of Hamath will keep your feasts.
Make a vow to the Lord your God and keep it;*
 let all around him bring gifts
   to him who is worthy to be feared.
He breaks the spirit of princes,*
 and strikes terror in the kings of the earth.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3:1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
 and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
 but they are at peace.

For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
 their hope is of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little,
 they will receive great good,
 because God tested them and found them worthy.

Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
 and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.

In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
 and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples
 and God will reign over them for ever.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [1 Kings 6:11-14,23-38]:

Now the word of the LORD came to Solomon, 'Concerning
this house that you are building, if you will walk in my
statutes, obey my ordinances, and keep all my
commandments by walking in them, then I will establish my
promise with you, which I made to your father David. I
will dwell among the children of Israel, and will not
forsake my people Israel.'

So Solomon built the house, and finished it.
In the inner sanctuary he made two cherubim of olive
wood, each ten cubits high. Five cubits was the length of
one wing of the cherub, and five cubits the length of the
other wing of the cherub; it was ten cubits from the tip
of one wing to the tip of the other. The other cherub
also measured ten cubits; both cherubim had the same
measure and the same form. The height of one cherub was
ten cubits, and so was that of the other cherub. He put
the cherubim in the innermost part of the house; the
wings of the cherubim were spread out so that a wing of
one was touching one wall, and a wing of the other cherub
was touching the other wall; their other wings towards
the centre of the house were touching wing to wing. He
also overlaid the cherubim with gold.
He carved the walls of the house all round about with
carved engravings of cherubim, palm trees, and open
flowers, in the inner and outer rooms. The floor of the
house he overlaid with gold, in the inner and outer
rooms.
For the entrance to the inner sanctuary he made doors of
olive wood; the lintel and the doorposts were
five-sided.He covered the two doors of olive wood with
carvings of cherubim, palm trees, and open flowers; he
overlaid them with gold, and spread gold on the cherubim
and on the palm trees.
So also he made for the entrance to the nave doorposts of
olive wood, each four-sided, and two doors of cypress
wood; the two leaves of one door were folding, and the
two leaves of the other door were folding. He carved
cherubim, palm trees, and open flowers, overlaying them
with gold evenly applied upon the carved work. He built
the inner court with three courses of dressed stone to
one course of cedar beams.
In the fourth year the foundation of the house of the
LORD was laid, in the month of Ziv. In the eleventh year,
in the month of Bul, which is the eighth month, the house
was finished in all its parts, and according to all its
specifications. He was seven years in building it.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 12:1-17

HYMN
Words: Charles Coffin, 1736; trans. John Chandler, 1837
Tune: Eden
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o388.html

O Lord, how joyful 'tis to see
the brethren join in love to thee;
on thee alone their heart relies,
their only strength thy grace supplies.

How sweet within thy holy place
with one accord to sing thy grace,
besieging thine attentive ear
with all the force of fervent prayer.

O may we love the house of God,
of peace and joy the blest abode;
O may no angry strife destroy
that sacred place, that holy joy.

The world without may rage, but we
will only cling more close to thee,
with hearts to thee more wholly given,
more weaned from earth, more fixed on heaven.

Lord, shower upon us from above
the sacred gift of mutual love;:
each other's ants may we supply,
and reign together in the sky.

Great and wonderful God, we praise and thank you for the
gift of renewal in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you
for
     opportunities for rest and recreation...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the regenerating gifts of the Holy Spirit...
     activities shared by young and old...
     fun and laughter...
     every service that proclaims your love...

You make all things new, O God, and we offer our prayers
for the renewal of the whole world and the healing of its
wounds. Especially we pray for
     those who have no leisure...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     people enslaved by addictions...
     those who entertain and enlighten...
     those confronted with temptation...
     the church in North America...
     the Diocese of Peru, The Rt Revd Harold William Godfrey, Bishop...

Majestic and gracious God,
more awesome than the agents of war,
more powerful than the wrath of nations,
your love has created a people of your own;
restrain the violence of the peoples
and draw the despised of the earth
into the joyful life of your kingdom. Amen.

Amid the cares of our daily lives,
make us attentive to your voice
and alert to your presence,
that we may treasure your Word above all else. Amen.

The psalms, the collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.