OREMUS: 21 July 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jul 20 20:49:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, July 21, 2005

Blessed are you, merciful God;
so abundant is your compassion
that you healed the wounds of our sins
and lifted out of death into new life
through your Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

 and his mercy endures for ever.
Let all those whom the Lord has redeemed proclaim*
 that he redeemed them from the hand of the foe.
He gathered them out of the lands;*
 from the east and from the west,
   from the north and from the south.
Some wandered in desert wastes;*
 they found no way to a city where they might dwell.
They were hungry and thirsty;*
 their spirits languished within them.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He put their feet on a straight path*
 to go to a city where they might dwell.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he satisfies the thirsty*
 and fills the hungry with good things.
Some sat in darkness and deep gloom,*
 bound fast in misery and iron;
Because they rebelled against the words of God*
 and despised the counsel of the Most High.
So he humbled their spirits with hard labour;*
 they stumbled and there was none to help.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He led them out of darkness and deep gloom*
 and broke their bonds asunder.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he shatters the doors of bronze*
 and breaks in two the iron bars.
Some were fools and took to rebellious ways;*
 they were afflicted because of their sins.
They abhorred all manner of food*
 and drew near to death's door.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He sent forth his word and healed them*
 and saved them from the grave.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and tell of his acts with shouts of joy.
Some went down to the sea in ships*
 and plied their trade in deep waters;
They beheld the works of the Lord*
 and his wonders in the deep.
Then he spoke and a stormy wind arose,*
 which tossed high the waves of the sea.
They mounted up to the heavens
   and fell back to the depths;*
 their hearts melted because of their peril.
They reeled and staggered like drunkards*
 and were at their wits' end.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He stilled the storm to a whisper*
 and quieted the waves of the sea.
Then were they glad because of the calm,*
 and he brought them
   to the harbour they were bound for.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them exalt him in the congregation of the people*
 and praise him in the council of the elders.
The Lord changed rivers into deserts,*
 and water-springs into thirsty ground,
A fruitful land into salt flats,*
 because of the wickedness of those who dwell there.
He changed deserts into pools of water*
 and dry land into water-springs.
He settled the hungry there,*
 and they founded a city to dwell in.
They sowed fields and planted vineyards,*
 and brought in a fruitful harvest.
He blessed them, so that they increased greatly;*
 he did not let their herds decrease.
Yet when they were diminished and brought low,*
 through stress of adversity and sorrow,
He lifted up the poor out of misery*
 and multiplied their families like flocks of sheep.
He pours contempt on princes*
 and makes them wander in trackless wastes.
The upright will see this and rejoice,*
 but all wickedness will shut its mouth.
Whoever is wise will ponder these things,*
 and consider well the mercies of the Lord.

A Song of Tobit (Tobit 13:1,3-6a)

Blessed be God, who lives for ever,
whose reign endures throughout all ages.

Declare God's praise before the nations,
you who are the children of Israel.

For if our God has scattered you among them,
there too has he shown you his greatness.

Exalt him in the sight of the living,
because he is our Lord and God and our Father for ever.

Though God punishes you for your wickedness,
mercy will be shown to you all.

God will gather you from every nation,
from wherever you have been scattered.

When you turn to the Lord
with all your heart and soul,
God will hide his face from you no more.

See what the Lord has done for you
and give thanks with a loud voice.

Praise the Lord of righteousness
and exalt the King of the ages.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Jonah 4]:

But this was very displeasing to Jonah, and he became
angry. He prayed to the LORD and said, 'O LORD! Is not
this what I said while I was still in my own country?
That is why I fled to Tarshish at the beginning; for I
knew that you are a gracious God and merciful, slow to
anger, and abounding in steadfast love, and ready to
relent from punishing. And now, O LORD, please take my
life from me, for it is better for me to die than to
live.' And the LORD said, 'Is it right for you to be
angry?' Then Jonah went out of the city and sat down east
of the city, and made a booth for himself there. He sat
under it in the shade, waiting to see what would become
of the city.
The LORD God appointed a bush, and made it come up over
Jonah, to give shade over his head, to save him from his
discomfort; so Jonah was very happy about the bush. But
when dawn came up the next day, God appointed a worm that
attacked the bush, so that it withered. When the sun
rose, God prepared a sultry east wind, and the sun beat
down on the head of Jonah so that he was faint and asked
that he might die. He said, 'It is better for me to die
than to live.'
But God said to Jonah, 'Is it right for you to be angry
about the bush?' And he said, 'Yes, angry enough to die.'
Then the LORD said, 'You are concerned about the bush,
for which you did not labour and which you did not grow;
it came into being in a night and perished in a night.
And should I not be concerned about Nineveh, that great
city, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty
thousand people who do not know their right hand from
their left, and also many animals?'

For another Biblical reading,
Revelation 13:11-18

HYMN
Words:  John Samuel Bewley Monsell, Jr., 1857
Tune: St. Bees
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s134.html

Sinful, sighing to be blessed;
bound, and longing to be free;
weary, waiting for my rest:
God be merciful to me.

Goodness I have none to plead,
sinfulness in all I see,
I can only bring my need:
God be merciful to me.

Broken heart and downcast eyes
dare not lift themselves to thee;
yet thou canst interpret sighs:
God be merciful to me.

>From this sinful heart of mine
to thy bosom I would flee:
I am not mine own, but thine:
God be merciful to me.

There is One beside the throne,
and my only hope and plea
are in him and him alone:
God be merciful to me.

He my cause will undertake,
my interpreter will be;
he's my all; and for his sake
God be merciful to me.

Loving God, as the rising sun chases away the night, so
you have scattered the power of death in the rising of
Jesus Christ, and you bring us all blessings in him.
Especially we thank you for
     the community of faith in our church...
                (We thank you, Lord.)
     those with whom we work or share common concerns...
     the diversity of your children...
     indications of your love at work in the world...
     those who work for reconciliation...

Mighty God, with the dawn of your love you reveal your
victory over all that would destroy or harm, and you
brighten the lives of all who need you. Especially we pray
for
     families suffering separation...
                (Lord, hear our prayer)
     people different from ourselves...
     those isolated by sickness or sorrow...
     the victims of violence or warfare...
     the church in the Pacific region...

O God, your steadfast love endures for ever
and your faithfulness from one generation to another;
rescue your people from their distress,
still the storms of our self-will
and bring us to the haven you have prepared for us
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Amid the cares of our daily lives,
make us attentive to your voice
and alert to your presence,
that we may treasure your Word above all else. Amen.

The canticle and the collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.