OREMUS: 20 July 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jul 19 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Blessed are you, merciful God;
so abundant is your compassion
that you healed the wounds of our sins
and lifted out of death into new life
through your Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

I will sing of mercy and justice;*
 to you, O Lord, will I sing praises.
I will strive to follow a blameless course;
   O when will you come to me?*
 I will walk with sincerity of heart within my house.
I will set no worthless thing before my eyes;*
 I hate the doers of evil deeds;
   they shall not remain with me.
A crooked heart shall be far from me;*
 I will not know evil.
My eyes are upon the faithful in the land,
   that they may dwell with me,*
 and only those who lead a blameless life
   shall be my servants.
Those who act deceitfully shall not dwell in my house,*
 and those who tell lies shall not continue in my sight.

   Happy are they who fear the Lord*
 and have great delight in his commandments!
Their descendants will be mighty in the land;*
 the generation of the upright will be blessed.
Wealth and riches will be in their house,*
 and their righteousness will last for ever.
Light shines in the darkness for the upright;*
 the righteous are merciful and full of compassion.
It is good for them to be generous in lending*
 and to manage their affairs with justice.
For they will never be shaken;*
 the righteous will be kept in everlasting remembrance.
They will not be afraid of any evil rumours;*
 their heart is right;
   they put their trust in the Lord.
Their heart is established and will not shrink,*
 until they see their desire upon their enemies.
They have given freely to the poor,*
 and their righteousness stands fast for ever;
   they will hold up their head with honour.
The wicked will see it and be angry;
   they will gnash their teeth and pine away;*
 the desires of the wicked will perish.

A Song of the Messiah (from Isaiah 9

The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light;
those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness,
upon them the light has dawned.

You have increased their joy and given them great gladness;
they rejoiced before you as with joy at the harvest.

For you have shattered the yoke that burdened them;
the collar that lay heavy on their shoulders.

For to us a child is born and to us a son is given,
and the government will be upon his shoulder.

And his name will be called: Wonderful Counsellor,
the Mighty God;
the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace.

Of the increase of his government and of peace
there will be no end,

Upon the throne of David and over his kingdom,
to establish and uphold it with justice and righteousness.

>From this time forth and for evermore;
the zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Jonah 3]:

The word of the LORD came to Jonah a second time, saying,
'Get up, go to Nineveh, that great city, and proclaim to
it the message that I tell you.' So Jonah set out and
went to Nineveh, according to the word of the LORD. Now
Nineveh was an exceedingly large city, a three days' walk
across. Jonah began to go into the city, going a day's
walk. And he cried out, 'Forty days more, and Nineveh
shall be overthrown!' And the people of Nineveh believed
God; they proclaimed a fast, and everyone, great and
small, put on sackcloth.
When the news reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from
his throne, removed his robe, covered himself with
sackcloth, and sat in ashes. Then he had a proclamation
made in Nineveh: 'By the decree of the king and his
nobles: No human being or animal, no herd or flock, shall
taste anything. They shall not feed, nor shall they drink
water. Human beings and animals shall be covered with
sackcloth, and they shall cry mightily to God. All shall
turn from their evil ways and from the violence that is
in their hands. Who knows? God may relent and change his
mind; he may turn from his fierce anger, so that we do
not perish.'
When God saw what they did, how they turned from their
evil ways, God changed his mind about the calamity that
he had said he would bring upon them; and he did not do
it.

For another Biblical reading,
Revelation 12:18-13:10

HYMN
Words: Clifford Bax, 1919
Tune: Old 124th
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t811.html

Turn back, O man, forswear thy foolish ways.
old now is earth, and none may count her days.
yet thou, her child, whose head is crowned with flame,
still wilt not hear thine inner God proclaim,
"Turn back, O man, forswear thy foolish ways."

Earth might be fair and all men glad and wise.
age after age their tragic empires rise,
built while they dream, and in that dreaming weep:
would man but wake from out his haunted sleep,
earth might be fair and all men glad and wise.

Earth shall be fair, and all her people one:
nor till that hour shall God's whole will be done.
Now, even now, once more from earth to sky,
peals forth in joy man's old undaunted cry:
"Earth shall be fair and all her folk be one!"

God of all mercies, we praise you that you have brought
us to this day, brightening our lives with the dawn
of promise and hope in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank
you for
     the warmth of sunlight, the wetness of rain and
     snow, and all that nourishes the earth...
                           (We thank you, Lord.)
     the presence and power of your Spirit...
     the support and encouragement we receive from others...
     those who provide for public safety and well-being...
     the mission of the church around the world...

Merciful God, strengthen us in prayer that we may lift up
the brokenness of this world for your healing, and share
the saving love of Jesus Christ. Especially we pray for
     those in positions of authority over others...
                           (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     the lonely and forgotten...
     children without family or homes...
     agents of caring and relief...
     the church in Asia and the Middle East...
     the Diocese of Pennsylvania, USA,
    The Rt Revd Charles Ellsworth Bennison, Bishop...

Loving God,
help us to love what is truly perfect,
so that we may neither speak what is evil
nor do what is wrong.
Then bring us to stand in your presence,
to sing of your mercy and justice
in the company of all your saints,
through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

Amid the cares of our daily lives,
make us attentive to your voice
and alert to your presence,
that we may treasure your Word above all else. Amen.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com