OREMUS: 18 July 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jul 17 18:51:18 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, July 18, 2005

Blessed are you, merciful God;
so abundant is your compassion
that you healed the wounds of our sins
and lifted out of death into new life
through your Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

O Lord, my God, my Saviour,*
 by day and night I cry to you.
Let my prayer enter into your presence;*
 incline your ear to my lamentation.
For I am full of trouble;*
 my life is at the brink of the grave.
I am counted among those who go down to the Pit;*
 I have become like one who has no strength;
Lost among the dead,*
 like the slain who lie in the grave,
Whom you remember no more,*
 for they are cut off from your hand.
You have laid me in the depths of the Pit,*
 in dark places and in the abyss.
Your anger weighs upon me heavily,*
 and all your great waves overwhelm me.
You have put my friends far from me;
   you have made me to be abhorred by them;*
 I am in prison and cannot get free.
My sight has failed me because of trouble;*
 Lord, I have called upon you daily;
   I have stretched out my hands to you.
Do you work wonders for the dead?*
 will those who have died
   stand up and give you thanks?
Will your loving-kindness be declared in the grave?*
 your faithfulness in the land of destruction?
Will your wonders be known in the dark?*
 or your righteousness in the country
   where all is forgotten?
But as for me, O Lord, I cry to you for help;*
 in the morning my prayer comes before you.
Lord, why have you rejected me?*
 why have you hidden your face from me?
Ever since my youth,
   I have been wretched and at the point of death;*
 I have borne your terrors with a troubled mind.
Your blazing anger has swept over me;*
 your terrors have destroyed me;
They surround me all day long like a flood;*
 they encompass me on every side.
My friend and my neighbour you have put away from me,*
 and darkness is my only companion.

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Jonah 1]:

Now the word of the LORD came to Jonah son of Amittai,
saying, 'Go at once to Nineveh, that great city, and cry
out against it; for their wickedness has come up before
me.' But Jonah set out to flee to Tarshish from the
presence of the LORD. He went down to Joppa and found a
ship going to Tarshish; so he paid his fare and went on
board, to go with them to Tarshish, away from the
presence of the LORD.
But the LORD hurled a great wind upon the sea, and such a
mighty storm came upon the sea that the ship threatened
to break up. Then the mariners were afraid, and each
cried to his god. They threw the cargo that was in the
ship into the sea, to lighten it for them. Jonah,
meanwhile, had gone down into the hold of the ship and
had lain down, and was fast asleep. The captain came and
said to him, 'What are you doing sound asleep? Get up,
call on your god! Perhaps the god will spare us a thought
so that we do not perish.'
The sailors said to one another, 'Come, let us cast lots,
so that we may know on whose account this calamity has
come upon us.' So they cast lots, and the lot fell on
Jonah. Then they said to him, 'Tell us why this calamity
has come upon us. What is your occupation? Where do you
come from? What is your country? And of what people are
you?' 'I am a Hebrew,' he replied. 'I worship the LORD,
the God of heaven, who made the sea and the dry land.'
Then the men were even more afraid, and said to him,
'What is this that you have done!' For the men knew that
he was fleeing from the presence of the LORD, because he
had told them so.
Then they said to him, 'What shall we do to you, that the
sea may quieten down for us?' For the sea was growing
more and more tempestuous. He said to them, 'Pick me up
and throw me into the sea; then the sea will quieten down
for you; for I know it is because of me that this great
storm has come upon you.' Nevertheless, the men rowed
hard to bring the ship back to land, but they could not,
for the sea grew more and more stormy against them. Then
they cried out to the LORD, 'Please, O LORD, we pray, do
not let us perish on account of this man's life. Do not
make us guilty of innocent blood; for you, O LORD, have
done as it pleased you.' So they picked Jonah up and
threw him into the sea; and the sea ceased from its
raging. Then the men feared the LORD even more, and they
offered a sacrifice to the LORD and made vows.
But the LORD provided a large fish to swallow up Jonah;
and Jonah was in the belly of the fish for three days and
three nights.

For another Biblical reading,
Revelation 12:1-12

HYMN
Words: William Whiting, 1860; as revised in Hymns Ancient and Modern, 1861
Tune: Melita
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/e/e038.html

Eternal Father, strong to save,
whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
its own appointed limits keep:
O hear us when we cry to thee
for those in peril on the sea.

O Christ, whose voice the waters heard
and hushed their raging at thy word,
who walkedst on the foaming deep,
and calm amid the storm didst sleep;
O hear us when we cry to thee
for those in peril on the sea.

Most Holy Spirit, who didst brood
upon the chaos dark and rude,
and bid its angry tumult cease,
and give, for wild confusion, peace:
O hear us when we cry to thee
for those in peril on the sea.

O Trinity of love and power,
our brethren shield in danger's hour;
from rock and tempest, fire and foe,
protect them wheresoe'er they go;
thus evermore shall rise to thee
glad hymns of praise from land and sea.

We praise you, God our creator, for your handiwork in
shaping and sustaining your wondrous creation. Especially
we thank you for
     the miracle of life and the wonder of living...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     particular blessings coming to us in this day...
     the resources of the earth...
     gifts of creative vision and skillful craft...
     the treasure stored in every human life...

We dare to pray for others, God our Savior, claiming your
love in Jesus Christ for the whole world, committing
ourselves to care for those around us in his name.
Especially we pray for
     those who work for the benefit of others...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those who cannot work today...
     those who teach and those who learn...
     people who are poor...
     the Church in Europe...
     the Diocese of Patna, India,
     The Rt Revd Philip Phembuar Marandih, Bishop...

Vast and immense God,
your actions are beyond our imagination,
the wonders of your grace are infinite:
May your Holy Spirit help us to recognize in the scriptures
certain drops of this vast ocean of your revelation,
that we may discern the multitude of ways
in which your Son Jesus Christ is present with us.
We ask this through him whose love
was revealed on the cross and beyond, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Amid the cares of our daily lives,
make us attentive to your voice
and alert to your presence,
that we may treasure your Word above all else. Amen.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The collect is by Stephen Benner, 2003, and is loosely based on a reading from
Abandonment to Divine Providence by Jean-Pierre de Caussade.