OREMUS: 17 July 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jul 16 17:12:38 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, July 17, 2005
The Ninth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, merciful God;
so abundant is your compassion
that you healed the wounds of our sins
and lifted out of death into new life
through your Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

Bow down your ear, O Lord, and answer me,*
 for I am poor and in misery.
Keep watch over my life, for I am faithful;*
 save your servant who trusts in you.
Be merciful to me, O Lord, for you are my God;*
 I call upon you all the day long.
Gladden the soul of your servant,*
 for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,*
 and great is your love towards all who call upon you.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer,*
 and attend to the voice of my supplications.
In the time of my trouble I will call upon you,*
 for you will answer me.
Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord,*
 nor anything like your works.
All nations you have made
   will come and worship you, O Lord,*
 and glorify your name.
For you are great; you do wondrous things;*
 and you alone are God.
Teach me your way, O Lord,
   and I will walk in your truth;*
 knit my heart to you that I may fear your name.
I will thank you, O Lord my God, with all my heart,*
 and glorify your name for evermore.
For great is your love towards me;*
 you have delivered me from the nethermost Pit.
The arrogant rise up against me, O God,
   and a violent band seeks my life;*
 they have not set you before their eyes.
But you, O Lord, are gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and full of kindness and truth.
Turn to me and have mercy upon me;*
 give your strength to your servant;
   and save the child of your handmaid.
Show me a sign of your favour,
   so that those who hate me may see it and be ashamed;*
 because you, O Lord, have helped me and comforted me.

Psalm 100

Be joyful in the Lord, all you lands;*
 serve the Lord with gladness
   and come before his presence with a song.
Know this: The Lord himself is God;*
 he himself has made us and we are his;
   we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
   go into his courts with praise;*
 give thanks to him and call upon his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting;*
 and his faithfulness endures from age to age.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Genesis 29:1-14]:

Then Jacob went on his journey, and came to the land of
the people of the east. As he looked, he saw a well in
the field and three flocks of sheep lying there beside
it; for out of that well the flocks were watered. The
stone on the well's mouth was large, and when all the
flocks were gathered there, the shepherds would roll the
stone from the mouth of the well, and water the sheep,
and put the stone back in its place on the mouth of the
well.
Jacob said to them, 'My brothers, where do you come
from?' They said, 'We are from Haran.' He said to them,
'Do you know Laban son of Nahor?' They said, 'We do.' He
said to them, 'Is it well with him?' 'Yes,' they replied,
'and here is his daughter Rachel, coming with the sheep.'
He said, 'Look, it is still broad daylight; it is not
time for the animals to be gathered together. Water the
sheep, and go, pasture them.' But they said, 'We cannot
until all the flocks are gathered together, and the stone
is rolled from the mouth of the well; then we water the
sheep.'
While he was still speaking with them, Rachel came with
her father's sheep; for she kept them. Now when Jacob saw
Rachel, the daughter of his mother's brother Laban, and
the sheep of his mother's brother Laban, Jacob went up
and rolled the stone from the well's mouth, and watered
the flock of his mother's brother Laban. Then Jacob
kissed Rachel, and wept aloud. And Jacob told Rachel that
he was her father's kinsman, and that he was Rebekah's
son; and she ran and told her father.
When Laban heard the news about his sister's son Jacob,
he ran to meet him; he embraced him and kissed him, and
brought him to his house. Jacob told Laban all these
things, and Laban said to him, 'Surely you are my bone
and my flesh!' And he stayed with him for a month.

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 9:30 - 10:4

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr. (1944-);
Tune: Leoni
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b005.html

Be joyful in the Lord;
be joyful, all you lands.
With gladness come before the Lord;
draw near with song.
Know that the Lord is God,
who made us and still stands
to guard the folk, who like a flock,
to God belong.

Approach God's house with thanks
and fill its courts with praise;
with awe invoke God's holy Name:
come and adore.
The Lord our God is good,
whose mercy lasts always
and whose great faithfulness endures
for evermore.

Let us pray for the whole people of God
and for all people according to their needs,
saying: "Hear our prayer."

For the whole church, that, true to its calling,
it may witness to the radical and boundless love of God
and proclaim God's love in word and deed.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the people of our church, for our bishops,
for all pastors and teachers, that strengthened by Word and Sacrament,
our witness in this land may be full of faith and love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the baptized, that we may embrace our lives
and the lives of others with courage and compassion,
unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May our care be a sign of God's care.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For those who govern the nations of the world,
that they may use their authority in wisdom, kindness and peacefulness.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for the human community.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression,
that you would rescue them when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear,
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all who suffer illness, distress or grief,
especially those we name silently or aloud ... ,
that you would grant them comfort, healing and release.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For the saints of every time and generation,
that you would keep us all in the bonds of love
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
O God, of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

O God of Love, hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Almighty God,
your Son has opened for us
a new and living way into your presence:
Give us pure hearts and constant wills
to worship you in spirit and in truth;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Amid the cares of our daily lives,
make us attentive to your voice
and alert to your presence,
that we may treasure your Word above all else. Amen.

Hymn (c) Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL 60188.
All rights reserved. Used by permission.
Hope Publishing Company, www.hopepublishing.com

The intercession is Copyright:   1995, 1999 Evangelical Lutheran Church in
Canada. (Lift Up Your Hearts,  http://www.worship.ca/)

Westminster / John Knox Press.