OREMUS: 16 July 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jul 15 21:11:15 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, July 16, 2005

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

May God be merciful to us and bless us,*
 show us the light of his countenance and come to us.
Let your ways be known upon earth,*
 your saving health among all nations.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;*
 let all the peoples praise you.
Let the nations be glad and sing for joy,*
 for you judge the peoples with equity
   and guide all the nations upon earth.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;*
 let all the peoples praise you.
The earth has brought forth her increase;*
 may God, our own God, give us his blessing.
May God give us his blessing,*
 and may all the ends of the earth stand in awe of him.

Psalm 70

Be pleased, O God, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let those who seek my life
   be ashamed and altogether dismayed;*
 let those who take pleasure in my misfortune
   draw back and be disgraced.
Let those who say to me 'Aha!'
   and gloat over me turn back,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you;*
 let those who love your salvation say for ever,
   'Great is the Lord!'
But as for me, I am poor and needy;*
 come to me speedily, O God.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 O Lord, do not tarry.

A Song of God's Love (1 John 4:7-11,12b)
Beloved, let us love one another,
for love is of God;
everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.

Whoever does not love does not know God,
for God is love.

In this the love of God was revealed among us,
that God sent his only Son into the world,
so that we might live through him.

In this is love,
not that we loved God but that he loved us,
and sent his Son to be the expiation for our sins.

Beloved, since God loved us so much,
we ought also to love one another.

For if we love one another, God abides in us,
and God's love will be perfected in us.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [1 Kings 2:10-12; 3:16-28]:

Then David slept with his ancestors, and was buried in
the city of David. The time that David reigned over
Israel was forty years; he reigned for seven years in
Hebron, and thirty-three years in Jerusalem. So Solomon
sat on the throne of his father David; and his kingdom
was firmly established.
Later, two women who were prostitutes came to the king
and stood before him. One woman said, 'Please, my lord,
this woman and I live in the same house; and I gave birth
while she was in the house. Then on the third day after I
gave birth, this woman also gave birth. We were together;
there was no one else with us in the house, only the two
of us were in the house. Then this woman's son died in
the night, because she lay on him. She got up in the
middle of the night and took my son from beside me while
your servant slept. She laid him at her breast, and laid
her dead son at my breast. When I rose in the morning to
nurse my son, I saw that he was dead; but when I looked
at him closely in the morning, clearly it was not the son
I had borne.' But the other woman said, 'No, the living
son is mine, and the dead son is yours.' The first said,
'No, the dead son is yours, and the living son is mine.'
So they argued before the king.
Then the king said, 'One says, "This is my son that is
alive, and your son is dead"; while the other says, "Not
so! Your son is dead, and my son is the living one." ' So
the king said, 'Bring me a sword', and they brought a
sword before the king. The king said, 'Divide the living
boy in two; then give half to one, and half to the
other.' But the woman whose son was alive said to the
king because compassion for her son burned within
her 'Please, my lord, give her the living boy; certainly
do not kill him!' The other said, 'It shall be neither
mine nor yours; divide it.' Then the king responded:
'Give the first woman the living boy; do not kill him.
She is his mother.' All Israel heard of the judgement
that the king had rendered; and they stood in awe of the
king, because they perceived that the wisdom of God was
in him, to execute justice.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 4:1-22

HYMN
Words: Latin, sixth century; trans. Gabriel Gillett, 1906
Tune: O invidenda martyrum
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o019.html

O boundless Wisdom, God most high,
O Maker of the earth and sky,
who bidd'st the parted waters flow
in heaven above, on earth below.

The streams on earth, the clouds in heaven,
by thee their ordered bounds were given,
lest 'neath the untempered fires of day
the parchŠd soil should waste away.

E'en so on us who seek thy face
pour forth the waters of thy grace;
renew the fount of life within,
and quench the wasting fires of sin.

Let faith discern the eternal Light
beyond the darkness of the night,
and through the mists of falsehood see
the path of truth revealed by thee.

O Father, that we ask be done,
through Jesus Christ, thine only Son;
who, with the Holy Ghost and thee,
doth live and reign eternally.

God of glory, we praise you for your presence in our
lives, and for all goodness that you shower upon your
children in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     promises kept and hope for tomorrow...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the enjoyment of friends...
     the wonders of your creation...
     love from our parents, our sisters and brothers,
     our spouses, lovers, and children...
     pleasures of living...

God of grace, we are one with all your children, for we
are sisters and brothers of Jesus Christ, and we offer
our prayers for all whom we love. Especially we pray for
     those we too often forget...
                (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     people who have lost hope...
     victims of tragedy and disaster...
     those who suffer mental anguish...
     ecumenical councils and church agencies...
     the Diocese of Paraguay, The Rt Revd John Alexander Ellison, Bishop...

In the face of Jesus Christ,
your light and glory have blazed forth
to all the nations, O God;
with all your people,
may we make known your grace
and live out your ways of peace. Amen.

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;

The psalms, the collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.