OREMUS: 15 July 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jul 14 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, July 16, 2005

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

Hear my cry, O God,*
 and listen to my prayer.
I call upon you from the ends of the earth
   with heaviness in my heart;*
 set me upon the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,*
 a strong tower against the enemy.
I will dwell in your house for ever;*
 I will take refuge under the cover of your wings.
For you, O God, have heard my vows;*
 you have granted me the heritage
   of those who fear your name.
Add length of days to the king's life;*
 let his years extend over many generations.
Let him sit enthroned before God for ever;*
 bid love and faithfulness watch over him.
So will I always sing the praise of your name,*
 and day by day I will fulfil my vows.

Psalm 62

For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be greatly shaken.
How long will you assail me to crush me,
   all of you together,*
 as if you were a leaning fence, a toppling wall?
They seek only to bring me down
   from my place of honour;*
 lies are their chief delight.
They bless with their lips,*
 but in their hearts they curse.
For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 truly, my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken.
In God is my safety and my honour;*
 God is my strong rock and my refuge.
Put your trust in him always, O people,*
 pour out your hearts before him, for God is our refuge.
Those of high degree are but a fleeting breath,*
 even those of low estate cannot be trusted.
On the scales they are lighter than a breath,*
 all of them together.
Put no trust in extortion;
   in robbery take no empty pride;*
 though wealth increase, set not your heart upon it.
God has spoken once, twice have I heard it,*
 that power belongs to God.
Steadfast love is yours, O Lord,*
 for you repay everyone according to his deeds.

A Song of Humility (Hosea 6:1-6)

Come, let us return to the Lord
who has torn us and will heal us.

God has stricken us
and will bind up our wounds.

After two days, he will revive us,
and on the third day will raise us up,
that we may live in his presence.

Let us strive to know the Lord;
his appearing is as sure as the sunrise.

He will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth.

'O Ephraim, how shall I deal with you?
How shall I deal with you, O Judah?

'Your love for me is like the morning mist,
like the dew that goes early away.

'Therefore, I have hewn them by the prophets,
and my judgement goes forth as the light.

'For loyalty is my desire and not sacrifice,
and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Matthew 12:43-45]:

Jesus said, 'When the unclean spirit has gone out of a
person, it wanders through waterless regions looking for
a resting-place, but it finds none. Then it says, "I will
return to my house from which I came." When it comes, it
finds it empty, swept, and put in order. Then it goes and
brings along seven other spirits more evil than itself,
and they enter and live there; and the last state of that
person is worse than the first. So will it be also with
this evil generation.'

For another Biblical reading,
1 Maccabees 3:1-9

HYMN
Words: Laurence Housman, 1906
Tune: Melita
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l277.html

Lord God of hosts, within whose hand
dominion rests on sea and land,
before whose word of life or death
the strength of nations is but breath:
O King, enthroned all thrones above,
give strength unto the land we love.

Thou Breath of Life since time began,
breathing upon the lips of man,
hast taught each kindred race to raise
united word to sound thy praise:
so, in this land, join, we beseech,
all hearts and lips in single speech.

To George our Saint thou gavest grace
without one fear all foes to face,
and to confess by faithful death
that Word of Life which was his breath.
O help us, Helper of Saint George,
to fear no bonds that man can forge.

Arm us like him, who in thy trust
beat down the dragon to the dust;
so that we too may tread down sin
and with thy saints a crown may win.
Help us, O God, that we may be
a land acceptable to thee.

Merciful God, we praise you that you give strength for
every weakness, forgiveness for our failures, and new
beginnings in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     the guidance of your Spirit through this day...
                                (We thank you, Lord.)
     signs of new life and hope...
     people who have helped us...
     those who struggle for justice...
     expressions of love unexpected or undeserved...

Almighty God, you know all needs before we speak our
prayers, yet you welcome our concerns for others in Jesus
Christ. Especially we pray for
     those who keep watch over the sick and dying...
                                (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those who weep with the grieving...
     those who are without faith
     and cannot accept your love...
     those who grow old...
     Reformed, Presbyterian, and Lutheran churches...
     the Diocese of Panama, The Rt Revd Julio Murray, Bishop...

O God, we seek security and deliverance
not in money or theft,
not in human ambition or malice,
not in our own ability or power,
but in you, the only God,
our rock and our salvation. Amen.

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;

The psalms, collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.