OREMUS: 10 July 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jul 9 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, July 10, 2005
The Eighth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

You are to be praised, O God, in Zion;*
 to you shall vows be performed in Jerusalem.
To you that hear prayer shall all flesh come,*
 because of their transgressions.
Our sins are stronger than we are,*
 but you will blot them out.
Happy are they whom you choose
   and draw to your courts to dwell there!*
 they will be satisfied by the beauty of your house,
   by the holiness of your temple.
Awesome things will you show us in your righteousness,
   O God of our salvation,*
 O Hope of all the ends of the earth
   and of the seas that are far away.
You make fast the mountains by your power;*
 they are girded about with might.
You still the roaring of the seas,*
 the roaring of their waves,
   and the clamour of the peoples.
Those who dwell at the ends of the earth
   will tremble at your marvellous signs;*
 you make the dawn and the dusk to sing for joy.
You visit the earth and water it abundantly;
   you make it very plenteous;*
 the river of God is full of water.
You prepare the grain,*
 for so you provide for the earth.
You drench the furrows and smooth out the ridges;*
 with heavy rain you soften the ground
   and bless its increase.
You crown the year with your goodness,*
 and your paths overflow with plenty.
May the fields of the wilderness be rich for grazing,*
 and the hills be clothed with joy.
May the meadows cover themselves with flocks
   and the valleys cloak themselves with grain;*
 let them shout for joy and sing.

A Song of the Lamb (from Revelation 19)

Salvation and glory and power belong to our God,
 whose judgements are true and just.

Praise our God, all you his servants,
 all who fear him, both small and great.

The Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns:
 let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory.

The marriage of the Lamb has come
 and his bride has made herself ready.

Blessed are those who are invited
 to the wedding banquet of the Lamb.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Genesis 27:1-40]:

When Isaac was old and his eyes were dim so that he could
not see, he called his elder son Esau and said to him,
'My son'; and he answered, 'Here I am.' He said, 'See, I
am old; I do not know the day of my death. Now then, take
your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the
field, and hunt game for me. Then prepare for me savoury
food, such as I like, and bring it to me to eat, so that
I may bless you before I die.'
Now Rebekah was listening when Isaac spoke to his son
Esau. So when Esau went to the field to hunt for game and
bring it, Rebekah said to her son Jacob, 'I heard your
father say to your brother Esau, "Bring me game, and
prepare for me savoury food to eat, that I may bless you
before the LORD before I die." Now therefore, my son,
obey my word as I command you. Go to the flock, and get
me two choice kids, so that I may prepare from them
savoury food for your father, such as he likes; and you
shall take it to your father to eat, so that he may bless
you before he dies.' But Jacob said to his mother
Rebekah, 'Look, my brother Esau is a hairy man, and I am
a man of smooth skin. Perhaps my father will feel me, and
I shall seem to be mocking him, and bring a curse on
myself and not a blessing.' His mother said to him, 'Let
your curse be on me, my son; only obey my word, and go,
get them for me.' So he went and got them and brought
them to his mother; and his mother prepared savoury food,
such as his father loved. Then Rebekah took the best
garments of her elder son Esau, which were with her in
the house, and put them on her younger son Jacob; and she
put the skins of the kids on his hands and on the smooth
part of his neck. Then she handed the savoury food, and
the bread that she had prepared, to her son Jacob.
So he went in to his father, and said, 'My father'; and
he said, 'Here I am; who are you, my son?' Jacob said to
his father, 'I am Esau your firstborn. I have done as you
told me; now sit up and eat of my game, so that you may
bless me.' But Isaac said to his son, 'How is it that you
have found it so quickly, my son?' He answered, 'Because
the LORD your God granted me success.' Then Isaac said to
Jacob, 'Come near, that I may feel you, my son, to know
whether you are really my son Esau or not.' So Jacob went
up to his father Isaac, who felt him and said, 'The voice
is Jacob's voice, but the hands are the hands of Esau.'
He did not recognize him, because his hands were hairy
like his brother Esau's hands; so he blessed him. He
said, 'Are you really my son Esau?' He answered, 'I am.'
Then he said, 'Bring it to me, that I may eat of my son's
game and bless you.' So he brought it to him, and he ate;
and he brought him wine, and he drank. Then his father
Isaac said to him, 'Come near and kiss me, my son.' So he
came near and kissed him; and he smelled the smell of his
garments, and blessed him, and said,
'Ah, the smell of my son
   is like the smell of a field that the LORD has
blessed.
May God give you of the dew of heaven,
   and of the fatness of the earth,
   and plenty of grain and wine.
Let peoples serve you,
   and nations bow down to you.
Be lord over your brothers,
   and may your mother's sons bow down to you.
Cursed be everyone who curses you,
   and blessed be everyone who blesses you!'
As soon as Isaac had finished blessing Jacob, when Jacob
had scarcely gone out from the presence of his father
Isaac, his brother Esau came in from his hunting. He also
prepared savoury food, and brought it to his father. And
he said to his father, 'Let my father sit up and eat of
his son's game, so that you may bless me.' His father
Isaac said to him, 'Who are you?' He answered, 'I am your
firstborn son, Esau.' Then Isaac trembled violently, and
said, 'Who was it then that hunted game and brought it to
me, and I ate it all before you came, and I have blessed
him? yes, and blessed he shall be!' When Esau heard his
father's words, he cried out with an exceedingly great
and bitter cry, and said to his father, 'Bless me, me
also, father!' But he said, 'Your brother came
deceitfully, and he has taken away your blessing.' Esau
said, 'Is he not rightly named Jacob? For he has
supplanted me these two times. He took away my
birthright; and look, now he has taken away my blessing.'
Then he said, 'Have you not reserved a blessing for me?'
Isaac answered Esau, 'I have already made him your lord,
and I have given him all his brothers as servants, and
with grain and wine I have sustained him. What then can I
do for you, my son?' Esau said to his father, 'Have you
only one blessing, father? Bless me, me also, father!'
And Esau lifted up his voice and wept.
Then his father Isaac answered him:
'See, away from the fatness of the earth
shall your home be,
   and away from the dew of heaven on high.
By your sword you shall live,
   and you shall serve your brother;
but when you break loose,
   you shall break his yoke from your neck.'

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 9:15-26

HYMN
Words: Anne Steele, 1760
Tune: Caithness, Angmering, Wigton, Les Commandemens
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f098.html

Father of mercies, in thy Word
what endless glory shines!
Forever be thy Name adored
for these celestial lines.

Here may the wretched sons of want
exhaustless riches find;
riches above what earth can grant,
and lasting as the mind.

Here springs of consolation rise
to cheer the fainting mind,
and thirsty souls receive supplies,
and sweet refreshment find.

Here the Redeemer's welcome voice
spreads heavenly peace around
and life and everlasting joys
attend the blissful sound.

O, may these heavenly pages be
my ever dear delight,
and still new beauties may I see,
and still increasing light.

Divine Instructor, gracious Lord,
be thou forever near;
teach me to love thy sacred Word,
and view my Savior there.

We lift our voices in prayers of praise, holy God, for
you have lifted us to new life in Jesus Christ, and your
blessings come in generous measure. Especially we thank
you for
     the privilege of worship and service in your name...
                   (We thank you, Lord.)
     the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ...
     food and drink to share in the Lord's name...
     our calling to discipleship...

We hold up before you human needs, God of compassion, for
you have come to us in Jesus Christ and shared our life
so we may share his resurrection. Especially we pray for
     the healing of those who are sick...
                    (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     the comfort of the dying...
     the renewal of those in despair...
     the Spirit's power in the church...

Eternal God,
open our eyes to see your hand at work
in the splendor of creation and in the beauty of human life.
Touched by your hand, our world is holy.
Help us to cherish the gifts that surround us,
to share our blessings with our sisters and brothers,
and to experience the joy of life in your presence;
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;

The intercession and collect are from _Book of Common Worship_,
(c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.