OREMUS: 9 July 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jul 8 22:41:08 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, July 9, 2005

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

O God, you have cast us off and broken us;*
 you have been angry;
   O take us back to you again.
You have shaken the earth and split it open;*
 repair the cracks in it, for it totters.
You have made your people know hardship;*
 you have given us wine that makes us stagger.
You have set up a banner for those who fear you,*
 to be a refuge from the power of the bow.
Save us by your right hand and answer us,*
 that those who are dear to you may be delivered.
God spoke from his holy place and said:*
 'I will exult and parcel out Shechem;
   I will divide the valley of Succoth.
'Gilead is mine and Manasseh is mine;*
 Ephraim is my helmet and Judah my sceptre.
'Moab is my wash-basin,
   on Edom I throw down my sandal to claim it,*
 and over Philistia will I shout in triumph.'
Who will lead me into the strong city?*
 who will bring me into Edom?
Have you not cast us off, O God?*
 you no longer go out, O God, with our armies.
Grant us your help against the enemy,*
 for vain is human help.
With God we will do valiant deeds,*
 and he shall tread our enemies under foot.

Psalm 63

O God, you are my God; eagerly I seek you;*
 my soul thirsts for you, my flesh faints for you,
   as in a barren and dry land where there is no water;
Therefore I have gazed upon you in your holy place,*
 that I might behold your power and your glory.
For your loving-kindness is better than life itself;*
 my lips shall give you praise.
So will I bless you as long as I live*
 and lift up my hands in your name.
My soul is content, as with marrow and fatness,*
 and my mouth praises you with joyful lips,
When I remember you upon my bed,*
 and meditate on you in the night watches.
For you have been my helper,*
 and under the shadow of your wings I will rejoice.
My soul clings to you;*
 your right hand holds me fast.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (from Isaiah 66)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her
all you who love her', says the Lord.

'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,

'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'

For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.

'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;

'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [2 Samuel 7:18-29]:

Then King David went in and sat before the LORD, and
said, 'Who am I, O Lord GOD, and what is my house, that
you have brought me thus far? And yet this was a small
thing in your eyes, O Lord GOD; you have spoken also of
your servant's house for a great while to come. May this
be instruction for the people, O Lord GOD! And what more
can David say to you? For you know your servant, O Lord
GOD! Because of your promise, and according to your own
heart, you have wrought all this greatness, so that your
servant may know it. Therefore you are great, O LORD God;
for there is no one like you, and there is no God besides
you, according to all that we have heard with our ears.
Who is like your people, like Israel? Is there another
nation on earth whose God went to redeem it as a people,
and to make a name for himself, doing great and awesome
things for them, by driving out before his people nations
and their gods? And you established your people Israel
for yourself to be your people for ever; and you, O LORD,
became their God. And now, O LORD God, as for the word
that you have spoken concerning your servant and
concerning his house, confirm it for ever; do as you have
promised. Thus your name will be magnified for ever in
the saying, "The LORD of hosts is God over Israel"; and
the house of your servant David will be established
before you. For you, O LORD of hosts, the God of Israel,
have made this revelation to your servant, saying, "I
will build you a house"; therefore your servant has found
courage to pray this prayer to you. And now, O Lord GOD,
you are God, and your words are true, and you have
promised this good thing to your servant; now therefore
may it please you to bless the house of your servant, so
that it may continue for ever before you; for you, O Lord
GOD, have spoken, and with your blessing shall the house
of your servant be blessed for ever.'

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 19:41-20:8

HYMN
Words: Christopher Wordsworth, 1862
Tune: Dix
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h298.html

Holy, holy, holy, Lord
God of Hosts, eternal King,
by the heavens and earth adored!
Angels and archangels sing,
chanting everlastingly
to the blessed Trinity.

Since by thee were all things made,
and in thee do all things live,
be to thee all honor paid,
praise to thee let all things give,
singing everlastingly
to the blessed Trinity.

Thousands, tens of thousands, stand,
spirits blest, before thy throne,
speeding thence at thy command,
and, when thy behests are done,
singing everlastingly
to the blessed Trinity.

Cherubim and seraphim
veil their faces with their wings;
eyes of angels are too dim
to behold the King of kings,
while they sing eternally
to the blessed Trinity.

Thee apostles, prophets thee,
thee the noble martyr band,
praise with solemn jubilee;
thee, the church in every land;
singing everlastingly
to the blessed Trinity.

Alleluia! Lord, to thee
Father, Son and Holy Ghost,
Three in One and One in Three,
join we with the heavenly host,
singing everlastingly
to the blessed Trinity.

Eternal God,
you have declared in Christ
the completion of all your purpose of love.

We pray for those in need:
the tempted and despairing....
the sick and handicapped....
the aged...
and the dying....
the ministries of care and healing....
those who mourn....

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
Oturkpo, Nigeria, The Rt Revd David Bello, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Owerri, Nigeria,
The Rt Revd Dr Cyril Chukwunonyerem Okorocha, Bishop...

Eternal God, we give thanks
for the triumphs of the gospel that herald your salvation
the signs of renewal that declare
the coming of your kingdom,
the human lives that reveal your work of grace....

for all those who have died in faith....

for the unceasing praise of the company of heaven,
the promise to those who mourn
that all tears shall be wiped away,
the pledge of death destroyed and victory won....

for our foretaste of eternal life
through baptism and eucharist,
our hope in the Spirit,
and the communion of saints....

May we live by faith, walk in hope and be renewed in love,
until the world reflects your glory
and you are all in all.
Even so, come Lord Jesus. Amen.

God of mercy,
you have called us out of exile and darkness
to be citizens and priests in your kingdom of light.
Make us strong in your cause of steadfast love and justice.
We ask this in the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;

The intercessions are (c) 2000, The Church of Ireland Central
Communications Board.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com