OREMUS: 7 July 2005

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Thu Jul 7 09:44:51 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, July 7, 2005

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
  shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
  he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
  and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
  the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
  the Lord with the sound of the ram’s-horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
  sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
  sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
  God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
  with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
  and he is highly exalted.

Psalm 48
Great is the Lord and highly to be praised;*
  in the city of our God is his holy hill.
Beautiful and lofty, the joy of all the earth,
    is the hill of Zion,*
  the very centre of the world
    and the city of the great king.
God is in her citadels;*
  he is known to be her sure refuge.
Behold, the kings of the earth assembled*
  and marched forward together.
They looked and were astounded;*
  they retreated and fled in terror.
Trembling seized them there;*
  they writhed like a woman in childbirth,
    like ships of the sea when the east wind shatters them.
As we have heard, so have we seen,
    in the city of the Lord of hosts, in the city of our God;*
  God has established her for ever.
We have waited in silence
    on your loving-kindness, O God,*
  in the midst of your temple.
Your praise, like your name, O God,
    reaches to the world’s end;*
  your right hand is full of justice.
Let Mount Zion be glad
    and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
  because of your judgements.
Make the circuit of Zion; walk round about her;*
  count the number of her towers.
Consider well her bulwarks; examine her strongholds;*
  that you may tell those who come after.
This God is our God for ever and ever;*
  he shall be our guide for evermore.

A Song of the Covenant (Isaiah 42:5-8a)

Thus says God, who created the heavens,
who fashioned the earth and all that dwells in it;

Who gives breath to the people upon it,
and spirit to those who walk in it,

'I am the Lord and I have called you in righteousness,
I have taken you by the hand and kept you;

'I have given you as a covenant to the people,
a light to the nations, to open the eyes that are blind.

'To bring out the captives from the dungeon,
from the prison, those who sit in darkness.

'I am the Lord, that is my name;
my glory I give to no other.'

  you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Song of Solomon 5:9-16]:

What is your beloved more than another beloved,
O fairest among women?
What is your beloved more than another beloved,
that you thus adjure us?

My beloved is all radiant and ruddy,
distinguished among ten thousand.
His head is the finest gold;
his locks are wavy,
black as a raven.
His eyes are like doves
beside springs of water,
bathed in milk,
fitly set.
His cheeks are like beds of spices,
yielding fragrance.
His lips are lilies,
distilling liquid myrrh.
His arms are rounded gold,
set with jewels.
His body is ivory work,
encrusted with sapphires.
His legs are alabaster columns,
set upon bases of gold.
His appearance is like Lebanon,
choice as the cedars.
His speech is most sweet,
and he is altogether desirable.
This is my beloved and this is my friend,
O daughters of Jerusalem.

For another Biblical reading, Mark 7:24-30

HYMN
Words: verses 1 and 3: Mnster Gesangbuch, 1677;
verse 2: Leipzig, 1842;
trans. Joseph August Seiss, 1873, possibly earlier.
Tune: Sch”nster Herr Jesu, St. Elizabeth

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f004.html

Fairest Lord Jesus,
Ruler of all nature,
O thou of God and man the Son;
thee will I cherish,
thee will I honor,
thou my soul's glory, joy, and crown.

Fair are the meadows,
fairer still the woodlands,
robed in the blooming garb of spring:
Jesus is fairer,
Jesus is purer,
who makes the woeful heart to sing.

Fair is the sunshine,
fairer still the moonlight,
and all the twinkling, starry host:
Jesus shines brighter,
Jesus shines purer,
than all the angels heaven can boast.

All fairest beauty
heavenly and earthly,
wondrously, Jesus, is found in thee;
none can be nearer,
fairer or dearer,
than thou, my Savior, art to me.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening),
or Nunc dimittis (Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Eternal God,
you have raised Jesus Christ from the dead
and exalted him to your right hand in glory,
and through him called your Church into being,
that your people might know you,
and that they might make your name known.

We pray for the church
the Church universal, and local, especially the Diocese of
Ottawa, Canada, The Rt Revd Peter Robert Coffin, Bishop....
the unity of the Church....
the ministries of the Church....
the mission of the Church....
the renewal of the Church....
all Christians in this place....

Eternal God, we give you thanks

for the apostolic gospel committed to your Church,
the continuing presence and power of your Spirit,
the ministry of Word, Sacrament and Prayer....

for the divine mission in which we are called to share,
the will to unity and its fruit in common action,
the faithful witness of those who are true to Christ....

for all works of compassion
and every service that proclaims your love.

In peace and unity
may your people offer the unfailing sacrifice of praise,
and make your glory known;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Gracious God,
you have made us fellow citizens with the saints
in the city of eternal light.
In the time of storm, when the foundations shake,
teach us to wait in silence
on your steadfast and transforming love,
made known to us in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are
from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society
of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition, copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The biblical passage is from The New Revised Standard Version
(Anglicized Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of
Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of
Christ in the USA. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted by Stephen
Benner from We Give You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian
Eucharistic Prefaces, translated by Alan Griffiths, © The Canterbury
Press Norwich, 1999.

The intercessions are © 2000, The Church of Ireland Central
Communications Board.

The first collect is from Daily Prayer, copyright © The Scottish
http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing prayer uses a sentence from a prayer in Opening
Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language. Canterbury Press,