OREMUS: 3 July 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jul 2 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, July 3, 2005
Saint Thomas the Apostle

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
who is truly risen from the dead.
We give you thanks for Thomas,
the one who admitted to his doubts,
and yet became a faithful witness to the resurrection
after touching the body of his Lord and his God.

It is a good thing to give thanks to the Lord,*
 and to sing praises to your name, O Most High;
To tell of your loving-kindness early in the morning*
 and of your faithfulness in the night season;
On the psaltery and on the lyre*
 and to the melody of the harp.
For you have made me glad by your acts, O Lord;*
 and I shout for joy because of the works of your hands.
Lord, how great are your works!*
 your thoughts are very deep.
The dullard does not know,
   nor does the fool understand,*
 that though the wicked grow like weeds,
   and all the workers of iniquity flourish,
They flourish only to be destroyed for ever;*
 but you, O Lord, are exalted for evermore.
For lo, your enemies, O Lord,
   lo, your enemies shall perish,*
 and all the workers of iniquity shall be scattered.
But my horn you have exalted
   like the horns of wild bulls;*
 I am anointed with fresh oil.
My eyes also gloat over my enemies,*
 and my ears rejoice to hear the doom of the wicked
   who rise up against me.
The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree,*
 and shall spread abroad like a cedar of Lebanon.
Those who are planted in the house of the Lord*
 shall flourish in the courts of our God;
They shall still bear fruit in old age;*
 they shall be green and succulent;
That they may show how upright the Lord is,*
 my rock, in whom there is no fault.

A Song of the Wilderness (Isaiah 35.1,2b-4a,4c-6,10)

The wilderness and the dry land shall rejoice,
the desert shall blossom and burst into song.

They shall see the glory of the Lord,
the majesty of our God.

Strengthen the weary hands,
and make firm the feeble knees.

Say to the anxious, 'Be strong, fear not,
your God is coming with judgement,
coming with judgement to save you.'

Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened,
and the ears of the deaf unstopped;

Then shall the lame leap like a hart,
and the tongue of the dumb sing for joy.

For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;

The ransomed of the Lord shall return with singing,
with everlasting joy upon their heads.

Joy and gladness shall be theirs,
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [John 20:24-29]:

But Thomas (who was called the Twin ), one of the twelve,
was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples
told him, 'We have seen the Lord.' But he said to them,
'Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put
my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his
side, I will not believe.'
A week later his disciples were again in the house, and
Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus
came and stood among them and said, 'Peace be with you.'
Then he said to Thomas, 'Put your finger here and see my
hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not
doubt but believe.' Thomas answered him, 'My Lord and my
God!' Jesus said to him, 'Have you believed because you
have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet
have come to believe.'

For another Biblical reading,
Ecclesiasticus 2

HYMN
Words: Henry Alford (1810-1871), alt.
Tune: St. Botolph
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w165.html

We walk by faith, and not by sight;
no gracious words we hear from him
who spoke as none e'er spoke;
but we believe him near.

We may not touch his hands and side,
nor follow where he trod;
but in his promise we rejoice;
and cry, "My Lord and God!"

Help then, O Lord, our unbelief;
and may our faith abound,
to call on you when you are near,
and seek where you are found:

that, when our life of faith is done,
in realms of clearer light
we may behold you as you are,
with full and endless sight.

Believing without seeing,
we offer our prayers to God.

For the governments and nations of our world,
that they might use all the resources at their disposal
to feed their people.
Hear us, O Lord.

For the sick and dying,
that they might know joy in the midst of sorrow,
and trust in the power of the resurrection.
Hear us, O Lord.

For all children in our church families,
that they might continue to witness to the love of Jesus Christ.
Hear us, O Lord.

For all catechumens,
as they explore their unique ministries as servants of Christ,
that they might be filled with wisdom and grace.
Hear us, O Lord.

For the Church, especially in the Diocese of
Dornakal, South India, The Rt Revd Rajarathnam Allu, Bishop.
that it may proclaim the faith to all who doubt.
Hear us, O Lord.

For trust in you and delight in the abundance
that already fills our lives.
Hear us, O Lord.

Almighty and eternal God,
who, for the firmer foundation of our faith,
allowed your holy apostle Thomas
to doubt the resurrection of your Son
until word and sight convinced him:
Grant to us, who have not seen, that we may also believe,
and so confess Christ as our Lord and our God;

Keep us true to the way of your Son,
that we may leave behind all that hinders us
and, with eyes fixed on him,
walk surely in the path of the kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from a prayer by Ruth Duck.

The intercession is adapted from one (c) 1996, The Evangelical Lutheran
Church in Canada.

The collect is from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the
Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is

The closing prayer are adapted from prayers in _Opening Prayers: