OREMUS: 2 July 2005

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Sat Jul 2 11:34:28 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, July 2, 2005

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for setting us free in Jesus Christ
with a power greater than all that would keep us captive.
You call us to turn from the ways of the world
and to accept the fullness of joy in the Spirit
and follow the way of the cross,
which frees us to love one another
for the sake of all creation.

Have mercy on me, O God,
    for my enemies are hounding me;*
  all day long they assault and oppress me.
They hound me all the day long;*
  truly there are many who fight against me, O Most High.
Whenever I am afraid,*
  I will put my trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
    in God I trust and will not be afraid,*
  for what can flesh do to me?
All day long they damage my cause;*
  their only thought is to do me evil.
They band together; they lie in wait;*
  they spy upon my footsteps; because they seek my life.
Shall they escape despite their wickedness?*
  O God, in your anger, cast down the peoples.
You have noted my lamentation;
    put my tears into your bottle;*
  are they not recorded in your book?
Whenever I call upon you,
    my enemies will be put to flight;*
  this I know, for God is on my side.
In God the Lord, whose word I praise,
    in God I trust and will not be afraid,*
  for what can mortals do to me?
I am bound by the vow I made to you, O God;*
  I will present to you thank-offerings;
For you have rescued my soul from death
    and my feet from stumbling,*
  that I may walk before God in the light of the living.

Psalm 57
Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful,
    for I have taken refuge in you;*
  in the shadow of your wings will I take refuge
    until this time of trouble has gone by.
I will call upon the Most High God,*
  the God who maintains my cause.
He will send from heaven and save me;
    he will confound those who trample upon me;*
  God will send forth his love and his faithfulness.
I lie in the midst of lions that devour the people;*
  their teeth are spears and arrows,
    their tongue a sharp sword.
They have laid a net for my feet and I am bowed low;*
  they have dug a pit before me
    but have fallen into it themselves.
  and your glory over all the earth.
My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed;*
  I will sing and make melody.
  I myself will waken the dawn.
I will confess you among the peoples, O Lord;*
  I will sing praise to you among the nations.
For your loving-kindness is greater than the heavens,*
  and your glory over all the earth.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5:3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

  and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [2 Samuel 2:1-11; 3:1]:

After this David inquired of the LORD, 'Shall I go up into any
of the cities of Judah?' The LORD said to him, 'Go up.' David
said, 'To which shall I go up?' He said, 'To Hebron.' So David
went up there, along with his two wives, Ahinoam of Jezreel,
and Abigail the widow of Nabal of Carmel. David brought up the
men who were with him, every one with his household; and they
  settled in the towns of Hebron. Then the people of Judah came,
and there they anointed David king over the house of Judah.

When they told David, 'It was the people of Jabesh-gilead who buried
Saul', David sent messengers to the people of Jabesh-gilead, and
said to them, 'May you be blessed by the LORD, because you showed
this loyalty to Saul your lord, and buried him! Now may the LORD
show steadfast love and faithfulness to you! And I too will reward you
because you have done this thing. Therefore let your hands be strong,
and be valiant; for Saul your lord is dead, and the house of Judah has
anointed me king over them.'

But Abner son of Ner, commander of Saul's army, had taken Ishbaal
son of Saul, and brought him over to Mahanaim. He made him king
over Gilead, the Ashurites, Jezreel, Ephraim, Benjamin, and over all
Israel. Ishbaal, Saul's son, was forty years old when he began to reign
over Israel, and he reigned for two years. But the house of Judah
followed David. The time that David was king in Hebron over the house
of Judah was seven years and six months.

There was a long war between the house of Saul and the house of David;
David grew stronger and stronger, while the house of Saul became weaker
and weaker.

For another Biblical reading, Luke 18:31-19:10

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts, 1719
Tune: Irish, London New, Bishopthorpe, Nativity, Billing

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t543.html

This is the day the Lord hath made,
he calls the hours his own;
let heaven rejoice, let earth be glad,
and praise surround the throne.

Today he rose and left the dead,
and Satan's empire fell;
today the saints his triumphs spread,
and all his wonders tell.

Hosanna to the anointed King,
to David's only Son!
Help us, O Lord, descend and bring
salvation from thy throne.

Blest be the Lord, who comes to men
with messages of grace!
Who comes, in God his Father's name,
to save our sinful race.

Hosanna in the highest strains
the Church on earth can raise;
the highest heavens in which he reigns
shall give him nobler praise.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening),
or Nunc dimittis (Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Make your ways known upon earth, Lord God,
your saving power among all peoples.

Renew your Church in holiness,
especially the Diocese of Ontario, Canada,
The Rt Revd George Bruce, Bishop,
and help us to serve you with joy.

Guide the leaders of this and every nation,
that justice may prevail throughout the world.

Let not the needy be forgotten,
nor the hope of the poor be taken away.

Make us instruments of your peace
and let your glory be over all the earth.

Tender God,
gentle protector in time of trouble:
pierce the gloom of despair
and give us, with all your people,
the song of freedom and the shout of praise,
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Keep us true to the way of your Son,
that we may leave behind all that hinders us
and, with eyes fixed on him,
walk surely in the path of the kingdom. Amen.

The psalms, collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are
from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint
Francis 1992, which is used with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from two prayers
reprinted from Revised Common Lectionary Prayers, copyright © 2002
Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is from New Patterns for Worship, copyright © The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The closing prayer are adapted from prayers in Opening Prayers:
Collects in Contemporary Language. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.