OREMUS: 31 January 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jan 30 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, January 31, 2005

Blessed are you, O God of all the prophets,
you knew us and chose us
before you formed us in the womb.
You fill us with faith that speaks your word,
hope that does not disappoint,
and love that bears all things for your sake,
until that day when we shall know you fully,
even as we are known by you.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 80

Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock;*
 shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.
In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh,*
 stir up your strength and come to help us.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts,*
 how long will you be angered
   despite the prayers of your people?
You have fed them with the bread of tears;*
 you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbours,*
 and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
You have brought a vine out of Egypt;*
 you cast out the nations and planted it.
You prepared the ground for it;*
 it took root and filled the land.
The mountains were covered by its shadow*
 and the towering cedar trees by its boughs.
You stretched out its tendrils to the Sea*
 and its branches to the River.
Why have you broken down its wall,*
 so that all who pass by pluck off its grapes?
The wild boar of the forest has ravaged it,*
 and the beasts of the field have grazed upon it.
Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven;
   behold and tend this vine;*
 preserve what your right hand has planted.
They burn it with fire like rubbish;*
 at the rebuke of your countenance let them perish.
Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand,*
 the son of man you have made so strong for yourself.
And so will we never turn away from you;*
 give us life, that we may call upon your name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.

A Song of Ezekiel (Ezekiel 36:24-26,28b)

I will take you from the nations,
and gather you from all the countries.

I will sprinkle clean water upon you,
and you shall be clean from all your impurities.

A new heart I will give you,
and put a new spirit within you,

And I will remove from your body the heart of stone
and give you a heart of flesh.

You shall be my people,
and I will be your God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Mark 1:14-20]:

Now after John was arrested, Jesus came to Galilee,
proclaiming the good news of God, and saying, 'The time
is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near;
repent, and believe in the good news.'

As Jesus passed along the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon
and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake for
they were fishermen. And Jesus said to them, 'Follow me
and I will make you fish for people.' And immediately
they left their nets and followed him. As he went a
little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his
brother John, who were in their boat mending the nets.
Immediately he called them; and they left their father
Zebedee in the boat with the hired men, and followed him.

For another Biblical reading,
Numbers 3:1-13

HYMN
Words: John Greenleaf Whittier, 1866
Tune: Walsall
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o381.html

O Lord and Master of us all,
whate'er our name or sign,
we own thy sway, we hear thy call,
we test our lives by thine.

Thou judgest us; thy purity
doth all our lusts condemn;
the love that draws us nearer thee
is hot with wrath to them.

Our thoughts lie open to thy sight
and naked to thy glance
our secret sins are in the light
of thy pure countenance.

Yet weak and blinded though we be,
thou dost our service own;
we bring our varying gifts to thee,
and thou rejectest none.

To thee our full humanity,
its joys and pains belong;
the wrong of man to man on thee
inflicts a deeper wrong.

Who hates, hates thee; who loves, becomes
therein to thee allied:
all sweet accords of hearts and homes
in thee are multiplied.

Apart from thee all gain is loss,
all labor vainly done;
the solemn shadow of the cross
is better than the sun.

Merciful God,
you give us every good gift.
Hear our prayers which we now offer
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
Long Island, USA, The Rt Revd Orris G Walker, Bishop.
May our divisions be healed,
that we may go into the world proclaiming your Good News.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for the physical and spiritual well-being
of our family and friends,
that they may rejoice in your mercy and love
and share in your joy in your heavenly Kingdom.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who work,
especially those who are stressed or overwhelmed,
that they may know you are their refuge and strength.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are persecuted
for fighting for justice and liberty,
that they may remember that you are the source
of all things just and free.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd:
you have led us to the kingdom of your Father's love.
Forgive our careless indifference
to your loving care for all your creatures,
and remake us in the likeness of your new and risen life.
We ask this in your Name. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Open our imaginations to new dimensions of your love,
and heal us of all that severs us from you and one another;

The intercession is by Stephen T. Benner.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com