OREMUS: 30 January 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jan 29 23:53:11 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, January 30, 2005
The Fourth Sunday after Epiphany

Blessed are you, O God of all the prophets,
you knew us and chose us
before you formed us in the womb.
You fill us with faith that speaks your word,
hope that does not disappoint,
and love that bears all things for your sake,
until that day when we shall know you fully,
even as we are known by you.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 28

O Lord, I call to you;
   my rock, do not be deaf to my cry;*
 lest, if you do not hear me,
   I become like those who go down to the Pit.
Hear the voice of my prayer when I cry out to you,*
 when I lift up my hands to your holy of holies.
Do not snatch me away with the wicked
   or with the evildoers,*
 who speak peaceably with their neighbours,
   while strife is in their hearts.
Repay them according to their deeds,*
 and according to the wickedness of their actions.
According to the work of their hands repay them,*
 and give them their just deserts.
They have no understanding of the Lord's doings,
   nor of the works of his hands;*
 therefore he will break them down
   and not build them up.
Blessed is the Lord!*
 for he has heard the voice of my prayer.
The Lord is my strength and my shield;*
 my heart trusts in him and I have been helped;
Therefore my heart dances for joy,*
 and in my song will I praise him.
The Lord is the strength of his people,*
 a safe refuge for his anointed.
Save your people and bless your inheritance;*
 shepherd them and carry them for ever.

Psalm 93

The Lord is king; he has put on splendid apparel;*
 the Lord has put on his apparel
   and girded himself with strength.
He has made the whole world so sure*
 that it cannot be moved;
Ever since the world began,
   your throne has been established;*
 you are from everlasting.
The waters have lifted up, O Lord,
   the waters have lifted up their voice;*
 the waters have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the sound of many waters,
   mightier than the breakers of the sea,*
 mightier is the Lord who dwells on high.
Your testimonies are very sure,*
 and holiness adorns your house, O Lord,
   for ever and for evermore.

A Song of Redemption (Colossians 1.13-18a,19,20a)

The Father has delivered us from the dominion of darkness,
and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son;

In whom we have redemption,
the forgiveness of our sins.

He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.

For in him all things were created,
in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.

All things were created through him and for him,
he is before all things and in him all things hold together.

He is the head of the body, the Church,
he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead.

In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell;
and through him God was pleased to reconcile all things.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Micah 7:14-20]:

Shepherd your people with your staff,
   the flock that belongs to you,
which lives alone in a forest
   in the midst of a garden land;
let them feed in Bashan and Gilead
   as in the days of old.
As in the days when you came out of the land of
Egypt,
   show us marvellous things.
The nations shall see and be ashamed
   of all their might;
they shall lay their hands on their mouths;
   their ears shall be deaf;
they shall lick dust like a snake,
   like the crawling things of the earth;
they shall come trembling out of their fortresses;
   they shall turn in dread to the LORD our God,
   and they shall stand in fear of you.

Who is a God like you, pardoning iniquity
   and passing over the transgression
   of the remnant of your possession?
He does not retain his anger for ever,
   because he delights in showing clemency.
He will again have compassion upon us;
   he will tread our iniquities under foot.
You will cast all our sins
   into the depths of the sea.
You will show faithfulness to Jacob
   and unswerving loyalty to Abraham,
as you have sworn to our ancestors
   from the days of old.

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 2:1-16

HYMN
Words: Thomas Olivers (1725-1799), 1770
Tune: Leoni
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t149.html

The God of Abraham praise,
who reigns enthroned above;
Ancient of everlasting days,
and God of love;
Jehovah, great I AM,
by earth and heaven confessed:
I bow and bless the sacred Name
for ever blessed.

The God of Abraham praise,
at whose supreme command
from earth we rise, and seek the joys
at his right hand;
we all on earth forsake,
its wisdom, fame and power;
and him our only portion make,
our Shield and Tower.

The goodly land we see,
with peace and plenty blessed:
a land of sacred liberty
and endless rest;
there milk and honey flow,
and oil and wine abound,
and trees of life for ever grow,
with mercy crowned.

There dwells the Lord, our King,
the Lord, our Righteousness,
triumphant o'er the world and sin,
the Prince of Peace;
on Zion's sacred height
his kingdom he maintains,
and, glorious with his saints in light,
for ever reigns.

The God who reigns on high,
the great archangels sing,
and "Holy, holy, holy," cry,
"Almighty King!"
Who was and is the same,
and evermore shall be:
Jehovah, Father, great I AM,
we worship thee."

The whole triumphant host
give thanks to God on high;
"Hail, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost"
they ever cry;
hail, Abraham's God and mine;
I join the heavenly lays;
all might and majesty are thine,
and endless praise!

O God Our Creator,
you have graced us with the gift of life and a world to live in.
Empower and strengthen the witness of your church
that, true to its calling, it may proclaim
your radical and boundless love, in word and deed.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Saving God,
you nourish and sustain us by Word and Sacrament.
Strengthen all the people of our church,
especially our bishops, priests and deacons.
Grant that, sustained in you, our service and witness in this land
may be full of faith and love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God, Source of our life,
you have adopted us in the waters of baptism
and made us your own in love.
We pray that we may embrace our lives and the lives of others
with courage and compassion, unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May your care be made known in our care.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of Justice,
you revealed your power in the servanthood of Jesus.
May those who govern the nations use their authority
in wisdom, kindness and peace.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for this earth and the human community.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Liberating God,
you are the hope of the weak and the needy.
Rescue those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Compassionate One,
you are a well-spring of comfort and healing.
Grant comfort, healing and release
to those who suffer illness, distress or grief.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of all generations,
we thank you for the gift of the lives
and the loving service of all who have died.
Keep us in the bonds of love with all the saints throughout the ages
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God of Love,
hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit, to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Holy God,
you confound the world's wisdom
in giving your kingdom to the lowly and the pure in heart:
Give us such a hunger and thirst for justice
and perseverance in striving for peace,
that by our words and deeds the world may see
the promise of your kingdom,
revealed in Jesus Christ our Lord,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Open our imaginations to new dimensions of your love,
and heal us of all that severs us from you and one another;

The intercession is slightly adapted from a prayer Copyright:   1995, 1999
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. (Lift Up Your Hearts,
http://www.worship.ca/)

Westminster / John Knox Press.