OREMUS: 29 January 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jan 28 21:02:08 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, January 29, 2005

Blessed are you, O Lord our God,
our source of joy,
for through your law and your prophets
you formed a people in mercy and freedom,
in justice and righteousness.
You give us courage and conviction
that we may joyfully turn and follow you
in faithful service led by the light of your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 34

I will bless the Lord at all times;*
 his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
I will glory in the Lord;*
 let the humble hear and rejoice.
Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord;*
 let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord and he answered me*
 and delivered me out of all my terror.
Look upon him and be radiant,*
 and let not your faces be ashamed.
I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me*
 and saved me from all my troubles.
The angel of the Lord
   encompasses those who fear him,*
 and he will deliver them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;*
 happy are they who trust in him!
Fear the Lord, you that are his saints,*
 for those who fear him lack nothing.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger,*
 but those who seek the Lord
   lack nothing that is good.
Come, children, and listen to me;*
 I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who among you loves life*
 and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
Keep your tongue from evil-speaking*
 and your lips from lying words.
Turn from evil and do good;*
 seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous,*
 and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,*
 to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
The righteous cry and the Lord hears them*
 and delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted*
 and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,*
 but the Lord will deliver him out of them all.
He will keep safe all his bones;*
 not one of them shall be broken.
Evil shall slay the wicked,*
 and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
The Lord ransoms the life of his servants,*
 and none will be punished who trust in him.

A Song of Pilgrimage (from Ecclesiasticus 51)

While I was still young,
I sought Wisdom openly in my prayer.

Before the temple I asked for her,
and I will search for her until the end.

>From the first blossom to the ripening grape,
my heart delighted in her.

My foot walked on the straight path,
from my youth I followed her steps.

I inclined my ear a little and received her,
I found for myself much instruction.

I made progress in Wisdom;
to the One who sent her,
I will give glory.

I directed my soul to Wisdom,
and in purity have I found her.

With her, I gained understanding from the first,
therefore will I never be forsaken.

My heart was stirred to seek her,
with my tongue will I sing God's praise.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Philemon 1-16]:

Paul, a prisoner of Christ Jesus, and Timothy our
brother,
To Philemon our dear friend and co-worker, to Apphia our
sister, to Archippus our fellow-soldier, and to the
church in your house:
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord
Jesus Christ.
When I remember you in my prayers, I always thank my God
because I hear of your love for all the saints and your
faith towards the Lord Jesus. I pray that the sharing of
your faith may become effective when you perceive all the
good that we may do for Christ. I have indeed received
much joy and encouragement from your love, because the
hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you, my
brother.
For this reason, though I am bold enough in Christ to
command you to do your duty, yet I would rather appeal to
you on the basis of love and I, Paul, do this as an old
man, and now also as a prisoner of Christ Jesus. I am
appealing to you for my child, Onesimus, whose father I
have become during my imprisonment. Formerly he was
useless to you, but now he is indeed useful both to you
and to me. I am sending him, that is, my own heart, back
to you. I wanted to keep him with me, so that he might be
of service to me in your place during my imprisonment for
the gospel; but I preferred to do nothing without your
consent, in order that your good deed might be voluntary
and not something forced. Perhaps this is the reason he
was separated from you for a while, so that you might
have him back for ever, no longer as a slave but as more
than a slave, a beloved brother especially to me but how
much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord.

For another Biblical reading,
Genesis 28:10-22

HYMN
Words: Thomas Toke Lynch, 1855
Tune: Jesu, Jesu, du mein Hirt
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g343.html

Gracious Spirit, dwell with me;
I myself would gracious be;
and with words that help and heal
would thy life in mine reveal;
and with actions bold and meek
would for Christ my Savior speak.

Truthful Spirit, dwell with me;
I myself would truthful be;
and with wisdom kind and clear
let thy life in mine appear;
and with actions brotherly
speak my Lord's sincerity.

Mighty Spirit, dwell with me;
I myself would mighty be,
mighty so as to prevail
where unaided man must fail;
ever by a mighty hope
pressing on and bearing up.

Holy Spirit, dwell with me;
I myself would holy be;
separate from sin, I would
choose and cherish all things good,
and whatever I can be
give to him who gave me thee!

In your glory, Lord, protect us by the power of your name:
that we may be one as you are one.

We are in the world but not of it:
protect us from the evil one.

Give us your word and the full measure of your joy:
sanctify us by your truth.

May your Spirit unite us in the love and glory of Father and Son;
may we be one that the world may believe.

As you sent your Son into the world:
so send us, to make your glory known.

Send your holy angels to watch over us,
O loving God,
that on our lips will be found your truth
and in our hearts your love;
for his sake who died for love of our love,
even Jesus Christ our Saviour. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Pour your Spirit on us today,
that we who are Christ's body
may bear your good news to all who seek you. Amen.

The psalms and the collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_
(Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with

The intercession is adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer in _Patterns
for Worship_, material from which is included in this service is copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 1995.