OREMUS: 28 January 2005

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Fri Jan 28 12:22:11 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, January 28, 2005
Thomas Aquinas, Priest, Philosopher, Teacher of the Faith, 1274

Blessed are you, O Lord our God,
our source of joy,
for through your law and your prophets
you formed a people in mercy and freedom,
in justice and righteousness.
You give us courage and conviction
that we may joyfully turn and follow you
in faithful service led by the light of your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord.

Hear my cry, O God,*
  and listen to my prayer.
I call upon you from the ends of the earth
    with heaviness in my heart;*
  set me upon the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,*
  a strong tower against the enemy.
I will dwell in your house for ever;*
  I will take refuge under the cover of your wings.
For you, O God, have heard my vows;*
  you have granted me the heritage
    of those who fear your name.
Add length of days to the king’s life;*
  let his years extend over many generations.
Let him sit enthroned before God for ever;*
  bid love and faithfulness watch over him.
So will I always sing the praise of your name,*
  and day by day I will fulfil my vows.

Psalm 89:1-9,11-14,18-21,24-29, 52
Your love, O Lord, for ever will I sing;*
  from age to age my mouth will proclaim your faithfulness.
For I am persuaded that your love is established for ever;*
  you have set your faithfulness firmly in the heavens.
‘I have made a covenant with my chosen one;*
  I have sworn an oath to David my servant:
’"I will establish your line for ever,*
  and preserve your throne for all generations."’
The heavens bear witness to your wonders, O Lord,*
  and to your faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones;
For who in the skies can be compared to the Lord?*
  who is like the Lord among the gods?
God is much to be feared in the council of the holy ones,*
  great and terrible to all those round about him.
Who is like you, Lord God of hosts?*
  O mighty Lord, your faithfulness is all around you.
You rule the raging of the sea*
  and still the surging of its waves.
Yours are the heavens; the earth also is yours;*
  you laid the foundations of the world
    and all that is in it.
You have made the north and the south;*
  Tabor and Hermon rejoice in your name.
You have a mighty arm;*
  strong is your hand and high is your right hand.
Righteousness and justice
    are the foundations of your throne;*
  love and truth go before your face.
Truly, the Lord is our ruler;*
  the Holy One of Israel is our king.
You spoke once in a vision
    and said to your faithful people:*
  ‘I have set the crown upon a warrior
    and have exalted one chosen out of the people.
‘I have found David my servant;*
  with my holy oil have I anointed him.
‘My hand will hold him fast*
  and my arm will make him strong.
‘My faithfulness and love shall be with him,*
  and he shall be victorious through my name.
‘I shall make his dominion extend*
  from the Great Sea to the River.
‘He will say to me, "You are my Father,*
  my God and the rock of my salvation."
‘I will make him my first-born*
  and higher than the kings of the earth.
‘I will keep my love for him for ever,*
  and my covenant will stand firm for him.
‘I will establish his line for ever*
  and his throne as the days of heaven.
Blessèd be the Lord for evermore!*
  Amen, I say, Amen.

A Song of Repentance (1 John 1:5-9)

This is the message we have heard from Christ
and proclaim to you:
that God is light,
in whom there is no darkness at all.

If we say that we have fellowship with God
while we walk in darkness,
we lie and do not do what is true.

But if we walk in the light
as God is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another.

And the blood of Jesus, the Son of God,
cleanses us from all our sins.

If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves
and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins,
the One who is faithful and just will forgive us
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

READING [Micah 5:10-15]:

On that day, says the LORD,
I will cut off your horses from among you
and will destroy your chariots;
and I will cut off the cities of your land
and throw down all your strongholds;
and I will cut off sorceries from your hand,
and you shall have no more soothsayers;
and I will cut off your images
and your pillars from among you,
and you shall bow down no more
to the work of your hands;
and I will uproot your sacred poles from among you
and destroy your towns.
And in anger and wrath I will execute vengeance
on the nations that did not obey.

For another Biblical reading, Titus 3:1-8

HYMN
Words: Thomas Aquinas, thirteenth century;
trans. Edward Caswall, 1848
Tune: Pange lingua, St. Thomas (Wade), Grafton, Alleluia, dulce carmen

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/n/n130.html

Now, my tongue, the mystery telling
of the glorious Body sing,
and the Blood, all price excelling,
which the gentiles' Lord and King,
in a Virgin's womb once dwelling,
shed for this world's ransoming.

Given for us, and condescending,
to be born for us below,
he, with men in converse blending,
dwelt the seed of truth to sow,
till he closed with wondrous ending
his most patient life of woe.

That last night, at supper lying,
'mid the twelve, his chosen band,
Jesus, with the law complying,
keeps the feast its rites demand;
then, more precious food supplying,
gives himself with his own hand.

Word-made-flesh true bread he maketh
by his word his Flesh to be;
wine his Blood; which whoso taketh
must from carnal thoughts be free;
faith alone, though sight forsaketh,
shows true hearts the mystery.

Therefore we, before him bending,
this great Sacrament revere;
types and shadows have their ending,
for the newer rite is here;
faith, our outward sense befriending,
makes our inward vision clear.

Glory let us give, and blessing
to the Father, and the Son,
honor, might and praise addressing,
while eternal ages run;
ever too his love confessing,
who from both with both is one.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening),
or Nunc dimittis (Night) may follow.

Prayer:
We pray for the coming of God's kingdom, saying,
Father, by your Spirit:
bring in your kingdom.

You came in Jesus to bring good news to the poor,
sight to the blind, freedom to the captives,
and salvation to your people:
anoint us with your Spirit;
rouse us to work in his name.
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to bring help to the poor
and freedom to the oppressed:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to tell the world
the good news of your healing love:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to those who mourn,
to bring joy and gladness instead of grief:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to proclaim that the time is here
for you to save your people:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Remember us, gracious God, when we cannot
see your way and purpose, and renew in us the
joy of your kingdom of light and life. We ask this
in the Name of Jesus Christ the Lord. Amen.

O God,
you blessed your servant Thomas Aquinas
with singular gifts of wisdom and insight,
that your people might love with their understanding
what you give them to know by faith.
Grant us the freedom to embrace your Church's teachings
and the obedience to deepen its faith,
that our knowledge may be perfected in worship
and our faith may be fulfilled in love;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Pour your Spirit on us today,
that we who are Christ's body
may bear your good news to all who seek you. Amen.

The psalms are from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray),
© The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition, copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The biblical passage is from The New Revised Standard
Version (Anglicized Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by
the Division of Christian Education of the National Council
of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence
are adapted from prayers reprinted from Revised Common
Lectionary Prayers, copyright © 2002 Consultation on Common Texts.

The intercession is from Patterns for Worship, material
from which is included in this service is copyright
© The Archbishops' Council, 1995.

The first collect is from Daily Prayer, copyright
© The Scottish Episcopal Church, 1998. Used with
permission. http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The second collect is from For All the Saints, © General
Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

In the thirteenth century, when Thomas Aquinas lived, the works of
Aristotle, largely forgotten in Western Europe, began to be available
again, partly from Eastern European sources and partly from Moslem Arab
sources in Africa and Spain. These works offered a new and exciting way of
looking at the world. Many enthusiastic students of Aristotle adopted him
quite frankly as as an alternative to Christianity. The response of many
Christians was to denounce Aristotle as an enemy of the Christian Faith. A
third approach was that of those who tried to hold both Christian and
Aristotelian views side by side with no attempt to reconcile the two.
Aquinas had a fourth approach. While remaining a Christian, he immersed
himself in the ideas of Aristotle, and then undertook to explain Christian
ideas and beliefs in language that would make sense to disciples of
Aristotle. At the time, this seemed like a very dangerous and radical idea,
and Aquinas spent much of his life living on the edge of ecclesiastical
approval. His success can be measured by the prevalence today of the notion
that of course all Christian scholars in the Middle Ages were followers of
Aristotle.

Aristotle is no longer the latest intellectual fashion, but Aquinas's
insistence that the Christian scholar must be prepared to meet other
scholars on their own ground, to become familiar with their viewpoints, to
argue from their premises, has been a permanent and valuable contribution
to Christian thought. [James Kiefer, abridged]