OREMUS: 27 January 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jan 26 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, January 27, 2005
John Chrysostom, Bishop of Constantinople, Teacher of the Faith, 407

Blessed are you, O Lord our God,
our source of joy,
for through your law and your prophets
you formed a people in mercy and freedom,
in justice and righteousness.
You give us courage and conviction
that we may joyfully turn and follow you
in faithful service led by the light of your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 65

You are to be praised, O God, in Zion;*
 to you shall vows be performed in Jerusalem.
To you that hear prayer shall all flesh come,*
 because of their transgressions.
Our sins are stronger than we are,*
 but you will blot them out.
Happy are they whom you choose
   and draw to your courts to dwell there!*
 they will be satisfied by the beauty of your house,
   by the holiness of your temple.
Awesome things will you show us in your righteousness,
   O God of our salvation,*
 O Hope of all the ends of the earth
   and of the seas that are far away.
You make fast the mountains by your power;*
 they are girded about with might.
You still the roaring of the seas,*
 the roaring of their waves,
   and the clamour of the peoples.
Those who dwell at the ends of the earth
   will tremble at your marvellous signs;*
 you make the dawn and the dusk to sing for joy.
You visit the earth and water it abundantly;
   you make it very plenteous;*
 the river of God is full of water.
You prepare the grain,*
 for so you provide for the earth.
You drench the furrows and smooth out the ridges;*
 with heavy rain you soften the ground
   and bless its increase.
You crown the year with your goodness,*
 and your paths overflow with plenty.
May the fields of the wilderness be rich for grazing,*
 and the hills be clothed with joy.
May the meadows cover themselves with flocks
   and the valleys cloak themselves with grain;*
 let them shout for joy and sing.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Micah 5:7-9]:

Then the remnant of Jacob,
   surrounded by many peoples,
shall be like dew from the LORD,
   like showers on the grass,
which do not depend upon people
   or wait for any mortal.
And among the nations the remnant of Jacob,
   surrounded by many peoples,
shall be like a lion among the animals of the forest,
   like a young lion among the flocks of sheep,
which, when it goes through, treads down
   and tears in pieces, with no one to deliver.
Your hand shall be lifted up over your adversaries,
   and all your enemies shall be cut off.

For another Biblical reading,
Titus 2:11-15

HYMN
Words: Thomas Ken, 1695, 1709
Tune: Monring Hymn
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a408.html

Awake, my soul, and with the sun
thy daily stage of duty run;
shake off dull sloth, and joyful rise
to pay thy morning sacrifice.

Lord, I my vows to thee renew;
disperse my sins as morning dew;
guard my first springs of thought and will,
and with thyself my spirit fill.

Direct, control, suggest, this day,
all I design or do or say;
that all my powers, with all their might,
in thy sole glory may unite.

Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
praise him, all creatures here below;
praise him above, ye heavenly host:
praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

We pray for the family of the church, for loving relationships,
and for the life of families around us, saying
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, born in poverty and soon a refugee,
be with families today who are poor
and live in hunger and want. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who grew in wisdom and in favor with God and the people
in the family of Joseph the carpenter,
bring wisdom and the presence of God
into the work and growth of families today. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who blessed marriage in the wedding at Cana,
be with those preparing for marriage
and with those who come to the end of their resources. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who healed Peter's mother in law,
bring healing to hurt relationships and families today. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who on the cross said,
'Mother, behold your son',
provide today for those who lose their families,
the bereaved and childless, orphans and widows. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who on the seashore provided food for the disciples,
bring the whole Church on earth and in heaven
 into your risen presence to eat at the eternal banquet.
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

May the richness of your creation, O God,
and the mystery of your sovereign rule,
lead us to that heavenly city
where all peoples will bring their wealth,
forsake their sins and find their true joy
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God,
you gave a golden eloquence to your servant John
that he might declare your justice
before the face of the proud and mighty.
Grant us, after his example,
such faithfulness to your word,
that we may strengthen the hearts of the weary
and sustain those who are afflicted by wrong;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Pour your Spirit on us today,
that we who are Christ's body
may bear your good news to all who seek you. Amen.

The psalms and the first collect are from _Celebrating Common
Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is
used with permission.

The intercession is adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer in _Patterns
for Worship_, material from which is included in this service is copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 1995.

The second collect is from _For All the Saints_, (c) General
Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

John was called "Chrysostom" ("Golden Mouth") because of his eloquence. He
was a priest of Antioch, and an outstanding preacher. (Audiences were warned
not to carry large sums of money when they went to hear him speak, since
pickpockets found it very easy to rob his hearers -- they were too intent on his
words to notice what was happening.) His sermons are mostly straightforward
expositions of Holy Scripture (he has extensive commentaries on both
Testaments, with special attention to the Epistles of Paul), and he emphasizes
the literal meaning, whereas the style popular at Alexandria tended to read
allegorical meanings into the text.
He loved the city and people of Antioch, and they loved him. However, he
became so famous that the Empress at Constantinople decided that she must
have him for her court preacher, and she had him kidnaped and brought to
Constantinople and there made bishop. This was a failure all around. His
sermons against corruption in high places earned him powerful enemies
(including the Empress), and he was sent into exile, where he died.
Along with Athanasius of Alexandria, Basil the Great, and Gregory of
Nazianzus, he is counted as one of the Four Great Eastern (or Greek) Doctors
of the Ancient Church. The Four Great Western (or Latin) Doctors are
Ambrose, Jerome, Augustine, and Gregory the Great.