OREMUS: 26 January 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jan 25 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, January 26, 2005
Timothy and Titus, Companions of Paul

Blessed are you, O Lord our God,
our source of joy,
for through your law and your prophets
you formed a people in mercy and freedom,
in justice and righteousness.
You give us courage and conviction
that we may joyfully turn and follow you
in faithful service led by the light of your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 62

For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be greatly shaken.
How long will you assail me to crush me,
   all of you together,*
 as if you were a leaning fence, a toppling wall?
They seek only to bring me down
   from my place of honour;*
 lies are their chief delight.
They bless with their lips,*
 but in their hearts they curse.
For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 truly, my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken.
In God is my safety and my honour;*
 God is my strong rock and my refuge.
Put your trust in him always, O people,*
 pour out your hearts before him, for God is our refuge.
Those of high degree are but a fleeting breath,*
 even those of low estate cannot be trusted.
On the scales they are lighter than a breath,*
 all of them together.
Put no trust in extortion;
   in robbery take no empty pride;*
 though wealth increase, set not your heart upon it.
God has spoken once, twice have I heard it,*
 that power belongs to God.
Steadfast love is yours, O Lord,*
 for you repay everyone according to his deeds.

Psalm 63

O God, you are my God; eagerly I seek you;*
 my soul thirsts for you, my flesh faints for you,
   as in a barren and dry land where there is no water;
Therefore I have gazed upon you in your holy place,*
 that I might behold your power and your glory.
For your loving-kindness is better than life itself;*
 my lips shall give you praise.
So will I bless you as long as I live*
 and lift up my hands in your name.
My soul is content, as with marrow and fatness,*
 and my mouth praises you with joyful lips,
When I remember you upon my bed,*
 and meditate on you in the night watches.
For you have been my helper,*
 and under the shadow of your wings I will rejoice.
My soul clings to you;*
 your right hand holds me fast.

A Song of the Lord's Anointed (Isaiah 61.1-3,11,6a)

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me
 because he has anointed me.

He has sent me to bring good news to the oppressed,
 to bind up the broken-hearted,

To proclaim liberty to the captives,
 and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;

To proclaim the year of the Lord's favour,
 to comfort all who mourn,

To give them a garland instead of ashes,
 the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
 the mantle of praise instead of a faint spirit,

That they may be called oaks of righteousness,
 the planting of the Lord, that he may be glorified.

For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
 and as seeds in the garden spring up,

So shall the Lord God make righteousness and praise
 blossom before all the nations.

You shall be called priests of the Lord
 they shall speak of you as ministers of our God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Micah 1:2-5a]:

Hear, you peoples, all of you;
   listen, O earth, and all that is in it;
and let the Lord GOD be a witness against you,
   the Lord from his holy temple.
For lo, the LORD is coming out of his place,
   and will come down and tread upon the high places of the earth.
Then the mountains will melt under him
   and the valleys will burst open,
like wax near the fire,
   like waters poured down a steep place.
All this is for the transgression of Jacob
   and for the sins of the house of Israel.
What is the transgression of Jacob?
   Is it not Samaria?
And what is the high place of Judah?
   Is it not Jerusalem?

For another Biblical reading,
Titus 2:1-8

HYMN
Words: Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879), 1873
Tune: Beverley
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t570.html

Thou art coming, O my Savior,
thou art coming, O my King,
in thy beauty all-resplendent,
in thy glory all-transcendent;
well may we rejoice and sing:
Coming! in the opening east
herald brightness slowly swells;
Coming! O my glorious Priest,
hear we not thy golden bells?

Thou art coming, thou art coming;
we shall meet thee on thy way,
we shall see thee, we shall know thee,
we shall bless thee, we shall show thee
all our hearts could ever say:
what an anthem that will be,
ringing out our love to thee,
pouring out our rapture sweet
at thine own all glorious feet.

Thou art coming; at thy table
we are witnesses for this;
while remembering hearts thou meetest
in communion clearest, sweetest,
earnest of our coming bliss,
showing not thy death alone,
and thy love exceeding great;
but thy coming and thy throne,
all for which we long and wait.

Thou art coming, we are waiting
with a hope that cannot fail,
asking not the day or hour,
resting on thy Word of power,
anchored safe within the veil.
Time appointed may be long,
but the vision must be sure;
certainty shall make us strong,
joyful patience can endure.

O the joy to see thee reigning,
thee, my own beloved Lord!
Every tongue thy Name confessing,
worship, honor, glory, blessing
brought to thee with glad accord;
thee, my Master and my Friend,
vindicated and enthroned;
unto earth's remotest end
glorified, adored, and owned!

We pray for the use of God's gifts to his Church, saying
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy, hear us

God our Father,
you give us gifts that we may work together
in the service of your Son:
Bless those who lead,
that they may be firm in faith,
yet humble before you.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who teach,
that they may increase our understanding,
and be open to your word for them:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who minister healing,
that they may bring wholeness to other,
yet know your healing in themselves:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those through whom you speak,
that they may proclaim your word in power,
yet have their ears open to your gentle whisper:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who work in your world today
that they may live for you, fulfil your purposes,
and seek your kingdom first
in the complexity of their daily lives.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who feel they have no gifts and are not valued,
and those who are powerless by the world's standards,
that they may share their experience
of the work of your Spirit.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Eternal Love,
our hearts are restless until they rest in you.
Let your glory shine on us,
that our lives may proclaim your goodness,
our work give you honour,
and our voices praise you forever;
for the sake of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. [SEC]

Almighty God,
by the preaching of your apostle Paul
you called your servants Timothy and Titus
and made them his trusted partners
in the work of spreading and establishing your gospel.
Strengthen us in this present time
to stand fast in all our adversities
and to live in true godliness,
that with confidence and gladness
we may look for the glorious appearing
of our Savior Jesus Christ;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Pour your Spirit on us today,
that we who are Christ's body
may bear your good news to all who seek you. Amen.

The intercession are adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer in
_Patterns for Worship_, material from which is included in this
service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 1995.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The second collect is from _For All the Saints_, (c) General
Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

Timothy, Titus, and Silas all appear in the New Testament writings as
missionary companions of, and co-workers with, the Apostle Paul.
Silas (aka Silvanus) accompanied Paul through Asia Minor and Greece, and
was imprisoned with him at Philippi (Acts 15:22-18:5), where they were
delivered by an earthquake. He is mentioned along with Timothy in the epistles
of Paul (2 Cor 1:19; 1 Th 1:1; 2 Th 1:1). He is sometimes remembered by
himself (see 13 July).
Titus is mentioned as a companion of Paul in some of his epistles (2 Co 2:13;
7:6,13,14; 8:6,16,23; 12:18; Gal 2:1-3; 2 Tim 4:10).
Timothy is mentioned in Acts 16-20, and appears in 9 epistles either as joining
in Paul's greetings or as a messenger.
In addition, Timothy has two New Testament letters addressed to him, and
Titus one. From these three letters (called the Pastoral Epistles), it appears that
Paul had comissioned Timothy to oversee the Christian community in Ephesus
and vicinity, and Titus to oversee that in Crete. [James Kiefer, abridged]