OREMUS: 23 January 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jan 22 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, January 23, 2005
The Third Sunday after Epiphany

Blessed are you, O Lord our God,
our source of joy,
for through your law and your prophets
you formed a people in mercy and freedom,
in justice and righteousness.
You give us courage and conviction
that we may joyfully turn and follow you
in faithful service led by the light of your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 118

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.
Let Israel now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let the house of Aaron now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let those who fear the Lord now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
I called to the Lord in my distress;*
 the Lord answered by setting me free.
The Lord is at my side, therefore I will not fear;*
 what can anyone do to me?
The Lord is at my side to help me;*
 I will triumph over those who hate me.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in flesh.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in rulers.
All the ungodly encompass me;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They hem me in, they hem me in on every side;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They swarm about me like bees;
   they blaze like a fire of thorns;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
I was pressed so hard that I almost fell,*
 but the Lord came to my help.
The Lord is my strength and my song,*
 and he has become my salvation.
There is a sound of exultation and victory*
 in the tents of the righteous:
'The right hand of the Lord has triumphed!*
 the right hand of the Lord is exalted!
   the right hand of the Lord has triumphed!'
I shall not die, but live,*
 and declare the works of the Lord.
The Lord has punished me sorely,*
 but he did not hand me over to death.
Open for me the gates of righteousness;*
 I will enter them; I will offer thanks to the Lord.
'This is the gate of the Lord;*
 whoever is righteous may enter.'
I will give thanks to you, for you answered me*
 and have become my salvation.
The same stone which the builders rejected*
 has become the chief corner-stone.
This is the Lord's doing,*
 and it is marvellous in our eyes.
On this day the Lord has acted;*
 we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Hosanna, Lord, hosanna!*
 Lord, send us now success.
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord;*
 we bless you from the house of the Lord.
God is the Lord; he has shined upon us;*
 form a procession with branches
   up to the horns of the altar.
'You are my God and I will thank you;*
 you are my God and I will exalt you.'
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.

Benedicite: A Song of Creation

Bless the Lord all you works of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you heavens:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you angels of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all people on earth:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

O people of God bless the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you priests of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you servants of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all you of upright spirit:
 bless the Lord you that are holy and humble in heart;

Bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Habakkuk 2:15-20]:

'Alas for you who make your neighbours drink,
   pouring out your wrath until they are drunk,
   in order to gaze on their nakedness!'
You will be sated with contempt instead of glory.
   Drink, you yourself, and stagger!
The cup in the LORD's right hand
   will come around to you,
   and shame will come upon your glory!
For the violence done to Lebanon will overwhelm you;
   the destruction of the animals will terrify you
because of human bloodshed and violence to the earth,
   to cities and all who live in them.

What use is an idol
   once its maker has shaped it
   a cast image, a teacher of lies?
For its maker trusts in what has been made,
   though the product is only an idol that cannot speak!
Alas for you who say to the wood, 'Wake up!'
   to silent stone, 'Rouse yourself!'
   Can it teach?
See, it is plated with gold and silver,
   and there is no breath in it at all.

But the LORD is in his holy temple;
   let all the earth keep silence before him!

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 1:16-25

HYMN
Words: Liturgy of Saint James (fifth century);
trans. Gerald Moultrie (1829-1885), 1864
Tune: Picardy
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l027.html

Let all mortal flesh keep silence,
and with fear and trembling stand;
ponder nothing earthly minded,
for with blessing in his hand
Christ our God to earth descendeth,
our full homage to demand.

King of kings, yet born of Mary,
as of old on earth he stood,
Lord of lords in human vesture,
in the Body and the Blood
he will give to all the faithful
his own self for heavenly food.

Rank on rank the host of heaven
spreads its vanguard on the way,
as the Light of Light descendeth
from the realms of endless day,
that the powers of hell may vanish
as the darkness clears away.

At his feet the six-winged seraph;
cherubim with sleepless eye,
veil their faces to the Presence,
as with ceaseless voice they cry,
"Alleluia, alleluia!
Alleluia, Lord Most High!"

God gives us the cross of Christ to proclaim.
United in mind and purpose,
let us pray for all in their weakness and division.

For the holy catholic church throughout the world.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all bishops,
for presbyters, deacons, and all who minister in Christ,
and for all the holy people of God.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For this holy gathering
and for all who enter with faith, reverence, and fear of God.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For this country, for all nations and their leaders,
and for our community.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all those in danger and need:
the sick and the suffering,
prisoners, captives, and their families,
the hungry, homeless, and oppressed.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the dying and the dead,
and for those who care for them.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For ourselves, our families and friends, and all those we love.
Lord, hear our prayer.

God of dawning light,
hear our fervent prayers today
and give us the strength to put aside all cares
and follow you in your kingdom;

whose Son revealed in signs and miracles
the wonder of your saving presence:
renew your people with your heavenly grace,
and in all our weakness
sustain us by your mighty power;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Pour your Spirit on us today,
that we who are Christ's body
may bear your good news to all who seek you. Amen.

The intercession is by Ormonde Plater.

The collect is from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the
Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is