OREMUS: 22 January 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jan 21 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, January 22, 2005
Vincent of Saragossa, Deacon, first Martyr of Spain, 304

Blessed are you, God of steadfast love,
turning the mundane into profound
to give us delight and wonder in the unexpected.
You transform our hearts by your Spirit,
that we may use our varied gifts
to show forth the light of your love
as one body in Christ.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 33

Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous;*
 it is good for the just to sing praises.
Praise the Lord with the harp;*
 play to him upon the psaltery and lyre.
Sing for him a new song;*
 sound a fanfare with all your skill upon the trumpet.
For the word of the Lord is right,*
 and all his works are sure.
He loves righteousness and justice;*
 the loving-kindness of the Lord fills the whole earth.
By the word of the Lord were the heavens made,*
 by the breath of his mouth all the heavenly hosts.
He gathers up the waters of the ocean
   as in a water-skin*
 and stores up the depths of the sea.
Let all the earth fear the Lord;*
 let all who dwell in the world stand in awe of him.
For he spoke and it came to pass;*
 he commanded and it stood fast.
The Lord brings the will of the nations to naught;*
 he thwarts the designs of the peoples.
But the Lord's will stands fast for ever,*
 and the designs of his heart from age to age.
Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord!*
 happy the people he has chosen to be his own!
The Lord looks down from heaven,*
 and beholds all the people in the world.
>From where he sits enthroned he turns his gaze*
 on all who dwell on the earth.
He fashions all the hearts of them*
 and understands all their works.
There is no king that can be saved by a mighty army;*
 the strong are not delivered by great strength.nbsp;
The horse is a vain hope for deliverance;*
 for all its strength it cannot save.
Behold, the eye of the Lord
   is upon those who fear him,*
 on those who wait upon his love,
To pluck their lives from death,*
 and to feed them in time of famine.
Our soul waits for the Lord;*
 he is our help and our shield.
Indeed, our heart rejoices in him,*
 for in his holy name we put our trust.
Let your loving-kindness, O Lord, be upon us,*
 as we have put our trust in you.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3:1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
 and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
 but they are at peace.

For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
 their hope is of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little,
 they will receive great good,
 because God tested them and found them worthy.

Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
 and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.

In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
 and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples
 and God will reign over them for ever.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [1 Peter 1:3-12]:

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ!
By his great mercy he has given us a new birth into a
living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from
the dead, and into an inheritance that is imperishable,
undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who are
being protected by the power of God through faith for a
salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this
you rejoice, even if now for a little while you have had
to suffer various trials, so that the genuineness of your
faith being more precious than gold that, though
perishable, is tested by fire may be found to result in
praise and glory and honour when Jesus Christ is
revealed. Although you have not seen him, you love him;
and even though you do not see him now, you believe in
him and rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy,
for you are receiving the outcome of your faith, the
salvation of your souls.
Concerning this salvation, the prophets who prophesied of
the grace that was to be yours made careful search and
inquiry, inquiring about the person or time that the
Spirit of Christ within them indicated, when it testified
in advance to the sufferings destined for Christ and the
subsequent glory. It was revealed to them that they were
serving not themselves but you, in regard to the things
that have now been announced to you through those who
brought you good news by the Holy Spirit sent from
heaven things into which angels long to look!

For another Biblical reading,
Ecclesiastes 3:1-11

HYMN
Words: James Montgomery, 1835
Tune: Moving Tent, Nearer Home, Llanllyfni
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f189.html

"For ever with the Lord!"
Amen; so let it be;
life from the dead is in that word,
'tis immortality.
Here in the body pent,
absent from him I roam,
yet nightly pitch my moving tent
a day's march nearer home.

My Father's house on high,
home of the soul, how near!
At times to faith's foreseeing eye
thy golden gates appear!
Ah! then my spirit faints,
to reach the land I love,
the bright inheritance of saints,
Jerusalem above.

"For ever with the Lord!"
Father, if 'tis thy will,
the promise of that faithful word
even here to me fulfill.
Be thou at my right hand,
then can I never fail;
uphold thou me, and I shall stand,
fight, and I must prevail.

So when my latest breath
shall rend the veil in twain,
by death I shall escape from death,
and life eternal gain.
Knowing as I am known,
how shall I love that word,
and oft repeat before the throne,
"For ever with the Lord!"

Loving God, in Jesus Christ you teach us to pray:

Guide us by your Holy Spirit
that our prayers for others may serve your will
and show your steadfast love for all.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Gracious God,
you have called together a people
to be the Church of Jesus Christ,
founded on the apostles.
Hear our prayer for the Diocese of Llandaff, Wales,
The Most Revd Dr. Barry Cennydd Morgan, Bishop.
May your people be one in faith and discipleship,
breaking bread together and telling good news.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

May the world come to believe that you are love,
turn to your ways and live in the light of your truth.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

You made all things and called them good.
May your planet earth be held in reverence by all people,
that its resources may be used wisely
and its fragile balance between life and death respected.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Hear our prayers for those who rule the nations,
that they may learn wisdom and truth,
establish justice and mercy
and seek the ways of peace.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Feed your people, O Lord,
with your holy Word
and free us from the temptations
which lead us away from you
that, being filled with your mercy,
we may be admitted to your holy presence;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God of boundless compassion,
who made your holy deacon Vincent
a worthy partner in the sufferings of Christ,
strengthen us to endure all adversity
with invincible and steadfast faith,
that our assurance of your saving justice
may vanquish all dangers that assault our bodies
and all wounds that would harm our souls;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Stir us with your voice
and enlighten our lives with your grace
that we may give ourselves fully
to Christ's call to mission and ministry. Amen.

The psalms and the first collect are from _Celebrating Common
Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is
used with permission.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer in _The Book of Common
Worship. The Presbyterian Church in Canada_, 1991. Used with

Vincent is the earliest Spanish martyr whose name is known to us. It is said
that he was brought to trial along with his bishop Valerius, and that since
Valerius had a speech impediment, Vincent spoke for both, and that his fearless
manner so angered the governor that Vincent was tortured and killed, though
his aged bishop was only exiled. [James Kiefer]