OREMUS: 19 January 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jan 18 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Blessed are you, God of steadfast love,
turning the mundane into profound
to give us delight and wonder in the unexpected.
You transform our hearts by your Spirit,
that we may use our varied gifts
to show forth the light of your love
as one body in Christ.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 42

As the deer longs for the water-brooks,*
 so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;*
 when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my food day and night,*
 while all day long they say to me,
   'Where now is your God?'
I pour out my soul when I think on these things:*
 how I went with the multitude
   and led them into the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving,*
 among those who keep holy-day.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.
My soul is heavy within me;*
 therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
   and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.
One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts;*
 all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
The Lord grants his loving-kindness in the daytime;*
 in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
I will say to the God of my strength,
   'Why have you forgotten me?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?'
While my bones are being broken,*
 my enemies mock me to my face;
All day long they mock me*
 say to me, 'Where now is your God?'
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

A Song of the Messiah (from Isaiah 9

The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light;
those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness,
upon them the light has dawned.

You have increased their joy and given them great gladness;
they rejoiced before you as with joy at the harvest.

For you have shattered the yoke that burdened them;
the collar that lay heavy on their shoulders.

For to us a child is born and to us a son is given,
and the government will be upon his shoulder.

And his name will be called: Wonderful Counsellor,
the Mighty God;
the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace.

Of the increase of his government and of peace
there will be no end,

Upon the throne of David and over his kingdom,
to establish and uphold it with justice and righteousness.

>From this time forth and for evermore;
the zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Hebrews 3:7-15]:

Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says,
'Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion,
   as on the day of testing in the wilderness,
where your ancestors put me to the test,
   though they had seen my works for forty years.
Therefore I was angry with that generation,
and I said, "They always go astray in their hearts,
   and they have not known my ways."
As in my anger I swore,
   "They will not enter my rest." '
Take care, brothers and sisters, that none of you may
have an evil, unbelieving heart that turns away from the
living God. But exhort one another every day, as long as
it is called 'today', so that none of you may be hardened
by the deceitfulness of sin. For we have become partners
of Christ, if only we hold our first confidence firm to
the end. As it is said,
'Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion.'

For another Biblical reading,
Joshua 14:1-15

HYMN
Words: Lewis Hartsough, 1874
Tune: Welcome Voice
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i064.html

I hear thy welcome voice
that calls me, Lord, to thee,
for cleansing in thy precious blood
that flowed on Calvary.

Refrain:
I am coming Lord!
Coming now to thee!
Wash me, cleanse me in the blood
that flowed on Calvary!

Though coming weak and vile,
thou dost my strength assure;
thou dost my vileness fully cleanse,
till spotless all, and pure. Refrain

'Tis Jesus calls me on
to perfect faith and love,
to perfect hope and peace and trust,
for earth and heav'n above. Refrain

'Tis Jesus who confirms
the blessŠd work within,
by adding grace to welcomed grace,
where reigned the power of sin. Refrain

And he the witness gives
to loyal hearts and free
that every promise is fulfilled,
if faith but brings the plea Refrain

All hail! atoning blood!
All hail! redeeming grace!
All hail! the gift of Christ our Lord,
our Strength and Righteousness. Refrain

Let us pray for the grace to recognize
the presence of God in our lives.

Open our eyes to see your salvation;
reveal yourself to a blind humanity.

Make your face shine upon those who live with disease;
give them your strength and your peace.

Let all who are weighed down by want come to know your bounty;
that they may put their trust in your goodness.

To those who hold power and riches, grant a discerning spirit;
that they may be set free by your freedom and love.

For your Church, we pray, O Lord, especially the Diocese of
Litoral Ecuador, The Rt Revd Alfredo Morante, Bishop.
Shed forth your Spirit that we may be strengthened in our work.

Defender of the weak,
security of the oppressed,
restore to us the joy of worship
and the knowledge of your presence,
in the face of Jesus Christ our Lord.Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Stir us with your voice
and enlighten our lives with your grace
that we may give ourselves fully
to Christ's call to mission and ministry. Amen.

The canticle and the collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The intercession is based on a prayer in _In Spirit and In Truth_,
(c) World Council of Churches, 1991.