OREMUS: 16 January 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jan 15 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, January 16, 2005
The Second Sunday after Epiphany

Blessed are you, God of steadfast love,
turning the mundane into profound
to give us delight and wonder in the unexpected.
You transform our hearts by your Spirit,
that we may use our varied gifts
to show forth the light of your love
as one body in Christ.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 37

Do not fret yourself because of evildoers;*
 do not be jealous of those who do wrong.
For they shall soon wither like the grass,*
 and like the green grass fade away.
Put your trust in the Lord and do good;*
 dwell in the land and feed on its riches.
Take delight in the Lord,*
 and he shall give you your heart's desire.
Commit your way to the Lord
   and put your trust in him,*
 and he will bring it to pass.
He will make your righteousness as clear as the light*
 and your just dealing as the noonday.
Be still before the Lord*
 and wait patiently for him.
Do not fret yourself over the one who prospers,*
 the one who succeeds in evil schemes.
Refrain from anger, leave rage alone;*
 do not fret yourself; it leads only to evil.
For evildoers shall be cut off,*
 but those who wait upon the Lord
   shall possess the land.
In a little while the wicked shall be no more;*
 you shall search out their place,
   but they will not be there.
But the lowly shall possess the land;*
 they will delight in abundance of peace.
The wicked plot against the righteous*
 and gnash at them with their teeth.
The Lord laughs at the wicked,*
 because he sees that their day will come.
The wicked draw their sword and bend their bow
   to strike down the poor and needy,*
 to slaughter those who are upright in their ways.
Their sword shall go through their own heart,*
 and their bow shall be broken.
The little that the righteous have*
 is better than great riches of the wicked.
For the power of the wicked shall be broken,*
 but the Lord upholds the righteous.
The Lord cares for the lives of the godly,*
 and their inheritance shall last for ever.
They shall not be ashamed in bad times,*
 and in days of famine they shall have enough.
As for the wicked, they shall perish,*
 and the enemies of the Lord,
   like the glory of the meadows, shall vanish;
   they shall vanish like smoke.
The wicked borrow and do not repay,*
 but the righteous are generous in giving.
Those who are blessed by God shall possess the land,*
 but those who are cursed by him shall be destroyed.
Our steps are directed by the Lord;*
 he strengthens those in whose way he delights.
If they stumble, they shall not fall headlong,*
 for the Lord holds them by the hand.
I have been young and now I am old,*
 but never have I seen the righteous forsaken,
   or their children begging bread.
The righteous are always generous in their lending,*
 and their children shall be a blessing.
Turn from evil and do good,*
 and dwell in the land for ever.
For the Lord loves justice;*
 he does not forsake his faithful ones.
They shall be kept safe for ever,*
 but the offspring of the wicked shall be destroyed.
The righteous shall possess the land*
 and dwell in it for ever.
The mouth of the righteous utters wisdom,*
 and their tongue speaks what is right.
The law of their God is in their heart,*
 and their footsteps shall not falter.
The wicked spy on the righteous*
 and seek occasion to kill them.
The Lord will not abandon them to their hand,*
 nor let them be found guilty when brought to trial.
Wait upon the Lord and keep his way;*
 he will raise you up to possess the land,
   and when the wicked are cut off, you will see it.
I have seen the wicked in their arrogance,*
 flourishing like a tree in full leaf.
I went by and, behold, they were not there;*
 I searched for them, but they could not be found.
Mark those who are honest; observe the upright;*
 for there is a future for the peaceable.
Transgressors shall be destroyed, one and all;*
 the future of the wicked is cut off.
But the deliverance of the righteous
   comes from the Lord;*
 he is their stronghold in time of trouble.
The Lord will help them and rescue them;*
 he will rescue them from the wicked and deliver them,
   because they seek refuge in him.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Habakkuk 2:1-5,12-14]:

I will stand at my watch-post,
   and station myself on the rampart;
I will keep watch to see what he will say to me,
   and what he will answer concerning my complaint.
Then the LORD answered me and said:
Write the vision;
   make it plain on tablets,
   so that a runner may read it.
For there is still a vision for the appointed time;
   it speaks of the end, and does not lie.
If it seems to tarry, wait for it;
   it will surely come, it will not delay.
Look at the proud!
   Their spirit is not right in them,
   but the righteous live by their faith.
Moreover, wealth is treacherous;
   the arrogant do not endure.
They open their throats wide as Sheol;
   like Death they never have enough.
They gather all nations for themselves,
   and collect all peoples as their own.

'Alas for you who build a town by bloodshed,
   and found a city on iniquity!'
Is it not from the LORD of hosts
   that peoples labour only to feed the flames,
   and nations weary themselves for nothing?
But the earth will be filled
   with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD,
   as the waters cover the sea.

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 1:8-17

HYMN
Words: John Keble, 1827
Tune: St. Flavian
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t431.html

There is a book, who runs may read,
which heavenly truth imparts,
and all the lore its scholars need,
pure eyes and Christian hearts.

The works of God above, below,
within us and around,
are pages in that book, to shew
how God himself is found.

The glorious sky embracing all
is like the Maker's love,
wherewith encompassed, great and small
in peace and order move.

The moon above, the Church below,
a wondrous race they run,
but all their radiance, all their glow,
each borrows of its Sun.

The Savior lends the light and heat
that crowns his holy hill;
the saints, like stars, around his seat,
perform their courses still.

The saints above are stars in heaven
what are the saints on earth?
Like trees they stand whom God has given,
our Eden's happy birth.

Faith is their fixed unswerving root,
hope their unfading flower,
fair deeds of charity their fruit,
the glory of their bower.

The dew of heaven is like thy grace,
it steals in silence down;
but where it lights, the favored place
by richest fruits is known.

One Name above all glorious names
with its ten thousand tongues
the everlasting sea proclaims,
echoing angelic songs.

The raging fire, the roaring wind,
thy boundless power display:
but in the gentler breeze we find
thy Spirit's viewless way.

Two worlds are ours: 'tis only sin
forbids us to descry
the mystic heaven and earth within,
plain as the sea and sky.

Thou, who hast given me eyes to see
and love this sight so fair,
give me a heart to find out thee,
and read thee everywhere.

O God Our Creator,
you have graced us with the gift of life and a world to live in.
Empower and strengthen the witness of your church
that, true to its calling, it may proclaim
your radical and boundless love, in word and deed.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Saving God,
you nourish and sustain us by Word and Sacrament.
Strengthen all the people of our church,
especially our bishops, priests and deacons.
Grant that, sustained in you, our service and witness in this land
may be full of faith and love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God, Source of our life,
you have adopted us in the waters of baptism
and made us your own in love.
We pray that we may embrace our lives and the lives of others
with courage and compassion, unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May your care be made known in our care.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of Justice,
you revealed your power in the servanthood of Jesus.
May those who govern the nations use their authority
in wisdom, kindness and peace.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for this earth and the human community.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Liberating God,
you are the hope of the weak and the needy.
Rescue those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Compassionate One,
you are a well-spring of comfort and healing.
Grant comfort, healing and release
to those who suffer illness, distress or grief.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of all generations,
we thank you for the gift of the lives
and the loving service of all who have died.
Keep us in the bonds of love with all the saints throughout the ages
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God of Love,
hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit, to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Almighty God,
whose Son our Savior Jesus Christ
is the light of the world:
Grant that your people,
 illumined by your Word and Sacraments,
may shine with the radiance of Christ's glory,
that he may be known, worshiped, and obeyed
to the ends of the earth;
 through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns,

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Stir us with your voice
and enlighten our lives with your grace
that we may give ourselves fully
to Christ's call to mission and ministry. Amen.

The intercession is slightly adapted from a prayer Copyright:   1995, 1999
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. (Lift Up Your Hearts,
http://www.worship.ca/)

of The Episcopal Church_.