OREMUS: 14 January 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jan 13 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, January 14, 2005

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
you spoke your word
and revealed your Good News in Jesus, the Christ.
You fill all creation with that Word,
so that by proclaiming your joyful promises to all nations
and singing of your glorious hope to all peoples,
we may become one living body in Christ.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 38

O Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
 do not punish me in your wrath.
For your arrows have already pierced me,*
 and your hand presses hard upon me.
There is no health in my flesh,
   because of your indignation;*
 there is no soundness in my body, because of my sin.
For my iniquities overwhelm me;*
 like a heavy burden they are too much for me to bear.
My wounds stink and fester*
 by reason of my foolishness.
I am utterly bowed down and prostrate;*
 I go about in mourning all the day long.
My loins are filled with searing pain;*
 there is no health in my body.
I am utterly numb and crushed;*
 I wail, because of the groaning of my heart.
O Lord, you know all my desires,*
 and my sighing is not hidden from you.
My heart is pounding, my strength has failed me,*
 and the brightness of my eyes is gone from me.
My friends and companions draw back from my affliction;*
 my neighbours stand afar off.
Those who seek after my life lay snares for me;*
 those who strive to hurt me speak of my ruin
   and plot treachery all the day long.
But I am like the deaf who do not hear,*
 like those who are mute and do not open their mouth.
I have become like one who does not hear*
 and from whose mouth comes no defence.
For in you, O Lord, have I fixed my hope;*
 you will answer me, O Lord my God.
For I said, 'Do not let them rejoice at my expense,*
 those who gloat over me when my foot slips.'
Truly, I am on the verge of falling,*
 and my pain is always with me.
I will confess my iniquity*
 and be sorry for my sin.
Those who are my enemies without cause are mighty,*
 and many in number are those who wrongfully hate me.
Those who repay evil for good slander me,*
 because I follow the course that is right.
O Lord, do not forsake me;*
 be not far from me, O my God.
Make haste to help me,*
 O Lord of my salvation.

A Song of Humility (Hosea 6:1-6)

Come, let us return to the Lord
who has torn us and will heal us.

God has stricken us
and will bind up our wounds.

After two days, he will revive us,
and on the third day will raise us up,
that we may live in his presence.

Let us strive to know the Lord;
his appearing is as sure as the sunrise.

He will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth.

'O Ephraim, how shall I deal with you?
How shall I deal with you, O Judah?

'Your love for me is like the morning mist,
like the dew that goes early away.

'Therefore, I have hewn them by the prophets,
and my judgement goes forth as the light.

'For loyalty is my desire and not sacrifice,
and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.'

READING [Hebrews 2:10-18]:

It was fitting that God, for whom and through whom all
things exist, in bringing many children to glory, should
make the pioneer of their salvation perfect through
sufferings. For the one who sanctifies and those who are
sanctified all have one Father. For this reason Jesus is
not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters, saying,
'I will proclaim your name to my brothers and sisters,
   in the midst of the congregation I will praise you.'

And again,
'I will put my trust in him.'
And again,
'Here am I and the children whom God has given me.'

Since, therefore, the children share flesh and blood, he
himself likewise shared the same things, so that through
death he might destroy the one who has the power of
death, that is, the devil, and free those who all their
lives were held in slavery by the fear of death. For it
is clear that he did not come to help angels, but the
descendants of Abraham. Therefore he had to become like
his brothers and sisters in every respect, so that he
might be a merciful and faithful high priest in the
service of God, to make a sacrifice of atonement for the
sins of the people. Because he himself was tested by what
he suffered, he is able to help those who are being
tested.

For another Biblical reading,
Joshua 9:22-10:15

HYMN
Words: John White Chadwick, 1864
Tune: Song 1
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/e/e053.html

Eternal Ruler of the ceaseless round
of circling planets singing on their way,
Guide of the nation from the night profound
into the glory of the perfect day;
rule in our hearts, that we may ever be
guided and strengthened and upheld by thee.

We are of thee, the children of thy love,
the brothers of thy well-beloved Son;
descend, O Holy Spirit, like a dove
into our hearts, that we may be as one:
as one with thee, to whom we ever tend;
as one with him, our Brother and our Friend.

We would be one in hatred of all wrong,
one in the love of all things sweet and fair,
one with the joy that breaketh into song,
one with the grief that trembleth into prayer;
one in the power that makes thy children free
to follow truth, and thus to follow thee.

Oh, clothe us with thy heavenly armor, Lord,
thy trusty shield, thy sword of love divine;
our inspiration be thy constant word,
we ask no victories that are not thine;
give or withhold, let pain or pleasure be;
enough to know that we are serving thee.

Let us pray to God for the coming of the Kingdom:

O God, into the pain of the tortured:
breathe stillness.

Into the hunger of those deprived:
breathe fullness.

Into those who have died in you:
breathe life.

Into those who long for you:
breathe your presence.

Into your Church,
shed forth your renewing Spirit.

Your kingdom come, your will be done:
For the kingdom, the power and the glory
are yours, now and for ever. Amen.

O God, the healer of body and soul,
send us your salvation and make us whole;
lift from us the burden of sinfulness
and bring us to your holy throne,
to live for ever with you in glory. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Gather the whole universe into your radiant presence
and continually reveal your Son as our Savior,
that all wounds may be healed,
all that is broken may be made whole,
all illusion will be overcome
by the truth found in the Light of Christ. Amen.

The psalms and the collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_
(Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with

The intercession is adapted from a prayer in _In Spirit and In
Truth_, (c) World Council of Churches, 1991.