OREMUS: 13 January 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jan 12 23:15:03 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, January 13, 2005
Hilary, Bishop of Poitiers, Teacher of the Faith, 367

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
you spoke your word
and revealed your Good News in Jesus, the Christ.
You fill all creation with that Word,
so that by proclaiming your joyful promises to all nations
and singing of your glorious hope to all peoples,
we may become one living body in Christ.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 8

O Lord our governor,*
 how exalted is your name in all the world!
Out of the mouths of infants and children*
 your majesty is praised above the heavens.
You have set up a stronghold against your adversaries,*
 to quell the enemy and the avenger.
When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers,*
 the moon and the stars you have set in their courses,
What are mortals, that you should be mindful of them?*
 mere human beings, that you should seek them out?
You have made them little lower than the angels;*
 you adorn them with glory and honour.
You give them mastery over the works of your hands;*
 and put all things under their feet,
All sheep and oxen,*
 even the wild beasts of the field,
The birds of the air, the fish of the sea,*
 and whatsoever walks in the paths of the sea.
O Lord our governor,*
 how exalted is your name in all the world!

Psalm 16

Protect me, O God, for I take refuge in you;*
 I have said to the Lord, 'You are my Lord,
   my good above all other.'
All my delight is upon the godly that are in the land,*
 upon those who are noble among the people.
But those who run after other gods*
 shall have their troubles multiplied.
Their libations of blood I will not offer,*
 nor take the names of their gods upon my lips.
O Lord, you are my portion and my cup;*
 it is you who uphold my lot.
My boundaries enclose a pleasant land;*
 indeed, I have a goodly heritage.
I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel;*
 my heart teaches me, night after night.
I have set the Lord always before me;*
 because he is at my right hand I shall not fall.
My heart, therefore, is glad and my spirit rejoices;*
 my body also shall rest in hope.
For you will not abandon me to the grave,*
 nor let your holy one see the Pit.
You will show me the path of life;*
 in your presence there is fullness of joy,
   and in your right hand are pleasures for evermore.

Great and Wonderful (Revelation 15:3-4)

Great and wonderful are your deeds,
Lord God the Almighty.

Just and true are your ways,
O ruler of the nations.

Who shall not revere and praise your name, O Lord?
for you alone are holy.

All nations shall come and worship in your presence:
for your just dealings have been revealed.

for ever and ever. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Hebrews 2:5-9]:

Now God did not subject the coming world, about which we
are speaking, to angels. But someone has testified
somewhere,
'What are human beings that you are mindful of them,
   or mortals, that you care for them?
You have made them for a little while lower than the
angels;
   you have crowned them with glory and honour,
    subjecting all things under their feet.'
Now in subjecting all things to them, God left nothing
outside their control. As it is, we do not yet see
everything in subjection to them, but we do see Jesus,
who for a little while was made lower than the angels,
now crowned with glory and honour because of the
suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might
taste death for everyone.

For another Biblical reading,
Joshua 9:3-21

HYMN
Words: Benjamin Russell Hanby, 1866
Tune: Adoration, Resonet in laudibus
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w456.html

Who is he in yonder stall
at whose feet the shepherds fall?
Refrain:
'Tis the Lord, O wondrous story!
'Tis the Lord, the King of glory;
at his feet, we humbly fall,
crown him, crown him Lord of all!

Who is he, in yonder cot
bending to his toilsome lot? Refrain

Who is he, in deep distress,
fasting in the wilderness? Refrain

Who is he that stands and weeps
at the grave where Lazarus sleeps? Refrain

Lo, at midnight who is he
praying in Gethsemane? Refrain

Who is he in Calvary's throes
asking blessings on his foes? Refrain

Who is he that from the grave
comes to heal and help and save? Refrain

Who is he that from his throne
rules the world of light alone? Refrain

Lord of our lives,
we have decided to follow Jesus
and have chosen to be in your Kingdom.
Give us courage, discernment and an unwavering faith.

When we are uncertain,
reveal a vision.

When we are passive,
light a fire.

When we are tempted,
send your Spirit.

Enfold us in your love,
wrap us about with assurance
and infuse us with determination,
that we may be true disciples
and all the world may see the love of Jesus Christ in us. Amen.

O God the Word and Son of God,
exalted is your name in all creation,
yet you have stooped to become one with us:
as you have ordained humanity the steward of your creation,
so minister through us the mystery of your salvation;
to the glory of your holy Name. Amen.

Everlasting God,
whose servant Hilary
steadfastly confessed your Son Jesus Christ
   to be both human and divine:
grant us his gentle courtesy
to bring to all the message of redemption
   in the incarnate Christ,
one God, now and for ever.  Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Gather the whole universe into your radiant presence
and continually reveal your Son as our Savior,
that all wounds may be healed,
all that is broken may be made whole,
all illusion will be overcome
by the truth found in the Light of Christ. Amen.

The psalms and the first collect are from _Celebrating Common
Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is
used with permission.

The intercession is adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer by Arlene M.
Mark, from _Words for Worship_; used by permission of Herald
Press.

Hilary of Poitiers (315-367) lived during the great controversy between
Athanasius, who taught that the Son is fully God, equally with the Father, and
Arius, who denied this.
Hilary is sometimes called "the Athanasius of the West." He was bishop of
Poitiers, and when he refused to sign a condemnation of Athanasius, the Arian
emperor Constantius (one of the sons of Constantine) banished him to Phrygia
in 357. His exile lasted three years, during which time he wrote several essays,
including On The Trinity. Finally the Emperor was forced to send him back to
Gaul because he was causing such difficulties for the Arians in the East. In 364,
he journeyed to Milan, where he engaged in public debate with the Arian
bishop Auxentius, and persuaded him of the error of his ways. [James
Kiefer]