OREMUS: 10 January 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jan 9 22:58:23 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, January 10, 2005
William Laud, Archbishop of Canterbury, 1645

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
you spoke your word
and revealed your Good News in Jesus, the Christ.
You fill all creation with that Word,
so that by proclaiming your joyful promises to all nations
and singing of your glorious hope to all peoples,
we may become one living body in Christ.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 25

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul;
   my God, I put my trust in you;*
 let me not be humiliated,
   nor let my enemies triumph over me.
Let none who look to you be put to shame;*
 let the treacherous be disappointed in their schemes.
Show me your ways, O Lord,*
 and teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,*
 for you are the God of my salvation;
   in you have I trusted all the day long.
Remember, O Lord, your compassion and love,*
 for they are from everlasting.
Remember not the sins of my youth
   and my transgressions;*
 remember me according to your love
   and for the sake of your goodness, O Lord.
Gracious and upright is the Lord;*
 therefore he teaches sinners in his way.
He guides the humble in doing right*
 and teaches his way to the lowly.
All the paths of the Lord are love and faithfulness*
 to those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.
For your name's sake, O Lord,*
 forgive my sin, for it is great.
Who are they who fear the Lord?*
 he will teach them the way that they should choose.
They shall dwell in prosperity,*
 and their offspring shall inherit the land.
The Lord is a friend to those who fear him*
 and will show them his covenant.
My eyes are ever looking to the Lord,*
 for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.
Turn to me and have pity on me,*
 for I am left alone and in misery.
The sorrows of my heart have increased;*
 bring me out of my troubles.
Look upon my adversity and misery*
 and forgive me all my sin.
Look upon my enemies, for they are many,*
 and they bear a violent hatred against me.
Protect my life and deliver me;*
 let me not be put to shame, for I have trusted in you.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me,*
 for my hope has been in you.
Deliver Israel, O God,*
 out of all his troubles.

A Song of Deliverance (Isaiah 12:2-6)

'Behold, God is my salvation;
I will trust and will not be afraid;

'For the Lord God is my strength and my song,
and has become my salvation.'

With joy you will draw water
from the wells of salvation.

On that day you will say,
'Give thanks to the Lord, call upon his name;

'Make known his deeds among the nations,
proclaim that his name is exalted.

'Sing God's praises, who has triumphed gloriously;
let this be known in all the world.

'Shout and sing for joy, you that dwell in Zion,
for great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel.'

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Hebrews 1:1-6]:

Long ago God spoke to our ancestors in many and various
ways by the prophets, but in these last days he has
spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed heir of all
things, through whom he also created the worlds. He is
the reflection of God's glory and the exact imprint of
God's very being, and he sustains all things by his
powerful word. When he had made purification for sins, he
sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having
become as much superior to angels as the name he has
inherited is more excellent than theirs.

For to which of the angels did God ever say,
'You are my Son;
   today I have begotten you'?
Or again,
'I will be his Father,
   and he will be my Son'?
And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world,
he says,
'Let all God's angels worship him.'

For another Biblical reading,
Joshua 4:1-7

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr. (c)
Tune: Rendez a Dieu
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/m/m030.html

Mark how the Lamb of God's self-offering
our human sinfulness takes on
in the birth-waters of the Jordan
as Jesus is baptized by John.
Hear how the voice from heaven thunders,
"Lo, this is my beloved Son."
See how in dove-like form
the Spirit descends on God's Anointed One.

>From this assurance of God's favor
Jesus goes to the wilderness,
there to endure a time of testing
that readied him to teach and bless.
So we, by water and the Spirit
baptized into Christ's ministry,
are often led to paths of service,
through mazes of adversity.

Grant us, O God, the strength and courage
to live the faith our lips declare;
bless us in our baptismal calling;
Christ's royal priesthood help us share.
Turn us from every false allegiance,
that we may trust in Christ alone;
raise up in us a chosen people
transformed by love to be your own.

Aware of God's gracious love for all creation,
let us pray for Christ's Church, the world and all who stand in need.

For the Church throughout the world,
especially in the Diocese of Liberia,
The Rt Revd Edward W Neufville, Bishop,
that we  may proclaim the Good News
and bring reconciliation and healing to this planet.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For all Christians,
that they may know the power of the living Christ
and serve in faithful discipleship
filled with grace and love and peace.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For our country,
that its leaders may govern wisely and with compassion;
that its people may act responsibly toward one another
with fairness and for the common good.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For all nations,
that all peoples shall know peace with justice,
that together they may recognize their common interdependence
in sharing the resources of earth.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For the ties that bind us together,
that family members may respect one another with tender care,
that children are reared with a trust in the goodness of life,
that relations between friend and friend be open in loving honesty.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For those who are in trouble or in danger,
that regardless of circumstance
they may find hope and release
and know that they are not alone, but abide in you.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For the spread of God's good news to all the world,
that people shall increasingly seek to know God
and find their rest in him who came to save us,
Jesus Christ our Lord.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

O God,
you reveal yourself to the humble in the lowliest of disguises,
yet the proud fail to find you even in your greatest glory:
Help us to perceive you in this ordinary moment,
that with faith piercing the superficial experience of this world,
we may see you accomplishing many great things around us.
We ask this through Jesus Christ, our Lord born in a barn. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Gather the whole universe into your radiant presence
and continually reveal your Son as our Savior,
that all wounds may be healed,
all that is broken may be made whole,
all illusion will be overcome
by the truth found in the Light of Christ. Amen.

Hymn (c) 1990 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com

The intercession is adapted from _Chalice Worship_, (c)
Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The collect is by Stephen Benner, 2003, and is based on a passage from
Abandonment to Divine Providence by Jean-Pierre de Caussade.