OREMUS: 4 January 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jan 3 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, January 4, 2005

you fill our hearts with joy
as we recognize in Christ the revelation of your love.
No eye can see his glory as our God,
yet now he is seen like one of us.
Christ is your Son before all ages,
yet now he is born in time.
He has come to lift up all things to himself,
to restore unity to creation,
and to lead us from exile into your heavenly kingdom.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 89:1-9,11-14,18-21,24-29, 52

Your love, O Lord, for ever will I sing;*
 from age to age my mouth will proclaim your faithfulness.
For I am persuaded that your love is established for ever;*
 you have set your faithfulness firmly in the heavens.
'I have made a covenant with my chosen one;*
 I have sworn an oath to David my servant:
'"I will establish your line for ever,*
 and preserve your throne for all generations."'
The heavens bear witness to your wonders, O Lord,*
 and to your faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones;
For who in the skies can be compared to the Lord?*
 who is like the Lord among the gods?
God is much to be feared in the council of the holy ones,*
 great and terrible to all those round about him.
Who is like you, Lord God of hosts?*
 O mighty Lord, your faithfulness is all around you.
You rule the raging of the sea*
 and still the surging of its waves.
Yours are the heavens; the earth also is yours;*
 you laid the foundations of the world
   and all that is in it.
You have made the north and the south;*
 Tabor and Hermon rejoice in your name.
You have a mighty arm;*
 strong is your hand and high is your right hand.
Righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of your throne;*
 love and truth go before your face.
Truly, the Lord is our ruler;*
 the Holy One of Israel is our king.
You spoke once in a vision
   and said to your faithful people:*
 'I have set the crown upon a warrior
   and have exalted one chosen out of the people.
'I have found David my servant;*
 with my holy oil have I anointed him.
'My hand will hold him fast*
 and my arm will make him strong.
'My faithfulness and love shall be with him,*
 and he shall be victorious through my name.
'I shall make his dominion extend*
 from the Great Sea to the River.
'He will say to me, "You are my Father,*
 my God and the rock of my salvation."
'I will make him my first-born*
 and higher than the kings of the earth.
'I will keep my love for him for ever,*
 and my covenant will stand firm for him.
'I will establish his line for ever*
 and his throne as the days of heaven.
Blessed be the Lord for evermore!*
 Amen, I say, Amen.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3:16; 6:15-16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.

He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.

Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.

This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,

Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.

To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

READING [1 John 3:11-24]:

For this is the message you have heard from the
beginning, that we should love one another. We must not
be like Cain who was from the evil one and murdered his
brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own deeds
were evil and his brother's righteous. Do not be
astonished, brothers and sisters, that the world hates
you. We know that we have passed from death to life
because we love one another. Whoever does not love abides
in death. All who hate a brother or sister are murderers,
and you know that murderers do not have eternal life
abiding in them. We know love by this, that he laid down
his life for us and we ought to lay down our lives for
one another. How does God's love abide in anyone who has
the world's goods and sees a brother or sister in need
and yet refuses help?
Little children, let us love, not in word or speech, but
in truth and action. And by this we will know that we are
from the truth and will reassure our hearts before him
whenever our hearts condemn us; for God is greater than
our hearts, and he knows everything. Beloved, if our
hearts do not condemn us, we have boldness before God;
and we receive from him whatever we ask, because we obey
his commandments and do what pleases him.
And this is his commandment, that we should believe in
the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another,
just as he has commanded us. All who obey his
commandments abide in him, and he abides in them. And by
this we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit that he
has given us.

For another Biblical reading,
Ecclesiasticus 24:23-36

HYMN
Words: (c) Timothy Dudley-Smith
Tune: Newtown St. Luke
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c009.html

Child of the stable's secret birth,
the Lord by right of the lords of earth,
let angels sing of a King newborn,
the world is weaving a crown of thorn:
a crown of thorn for that infant head
cradled soft in the manger bed.

Eyes that shine in the lantern's ray;
a face so small in its nest of hay,
face of a child who is born to scan
the world he made through the eyes of man:
and from that face in the final day
earth and heaven shall flee away.

Voice that rang through the courts on high,
contracted now to a wordless cry,
a voice to master the wind and wave,
the human heart and the hungry grave:
the voice of God through the cedar trees
rolling forth as the sound of seas.

Infant hands in a mother's hand,
for none but Mary may understand
whose are the hands and the fingers curled
but his who fashioned and made the world;
and through these hands in the hour of death
nails shall strike to the wood beneath.

Child of the stable's secret birth,
the Father's gift to a wayward earth,
to drain the cup in a few short years
of all our sorrows , our sins, and tears--
ours the prize for the road he trod:
risen with Christ; at peace with God.

Let us pray for the people and nations
affected by recent earthquakes and tsunamis in the Indian Ocean

Over the chaos of the waters Lord you spoke and there was light.

God of creation, you acted to bring about this world
we ask you to continue to act to bring about a new creation and new hope
from the darkness of these disastrous sea waves.

Jesus, who grieved over lost ones,
be with those who grieve even now for their lost loved ones,
Come to them in their pain and loss with your healing and mercy.

Holy Spirit, giver of good gifts and consolation,
direct and be with those involved in ongoing aid and recovery.
Through their efforts, may your light be seen in the darkness.

Heavenly Father, bless the many endeavours happening
across nations, peoples, and faiths
for the sake of the poor and the lost.

We ask this in Jesus name. Amen.

O God,
who wonderfully created,
and yet more wonderfully restored,
the dignity of human nature:
Grant that we may share the divine life of him
who humbled himself to share our humanity,
your Son Jesus Christ;
who lives and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

May he who by his incarnation gathered into one
things earthly and heavenly,
bestow upon us the fullness of peace and goodwill. Amen.

_The Promise of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central

Hymn (c) 1983 Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this text in all territories except the UK, Europe &
Africa, contact:
Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
For UK, Europe & Africa: contact: Bishop Timothy Dudley-Smith, 9
Ashlands, Ford, Salisbury, Wiltshire  SP4 6DY  England

The intercession is by the Rev. Peter Armstrong, Redcliffe Uniting Church in
Australia, withRevisions by the Rev. Dennis Webster, Vicar, Parish of Pascoe Vale
with Oak Park, and the Rev. John Maynard, St. John's Uniting Church, Phillip Island.

of The Episcopal Church_.