OREMUS: 3 January 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jan 2 17:58:59 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, January 3, 2005
Vedanayagam Samuel Azariah, Bishop in South India, Evangelist, 1945

you fill our hearts with joy
as we recognize in Christ the revelation of your love.
No eye can see his glory as our God,
yet now he is seen like one of us.
Christ is your Son before all ages,
yet now he is born in time.
He has come to lift up all things to himself,
to restore unity to creation,
and to lead us from exile into your heavenly kingdom.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 8

O Lord our governor,*
 how exalted is your name in all the world!
Out of the mouths of infants and children*
 your majesty is praised above the heavens.
You have set up a stronghold against your adversaries,*
 to quell the enemy and the avenger.
When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers,*
 the moon and the stars you have set in their courses,
What are mortals, that you should be mindful of them?*
 mere human beings, that you should seek them out?
You have made them little lower than the angels;*
 you adorn them with glory and honour.
You give them mastery over the works of your hands;*
 and put all things under their feet,
All sheep and oxen,*
 even the wild beasts of the field,
The birds of the air, the fish of the sea,*
 and whatsoever walks in the paths of the sea.
O Lord our governor,*
 how exalted is your name in all the world!

Psalm 20

May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble,*
 the name of the God of Jacob defend you;
Send you help from his holy place*
 and strengthen you out of Zion;
Remember all your offerings*
 and accept your burnt sacrifice;
Grant you your heart's desire*
 and prosper all your plans.
We will shout for joy at your victory
   and triumph in the name of our God;*
 may the Lord grant all your requests.
Now I know that the Lord gives victory
   to his anointed;*
 he will answer him out of his holy heaven,
   with the victorious strength of his right hand.
Some put their trust in chariots and some in horses,*
 but we will call upon the name of the Lord our God.
They collapse and fall down,*
 but we will arise and stand upright.
O Lord, give victory to the king*
 and answer us when we call.

A Song of God's Chosen One (Isaiah 11.1-4a,6,9)

There shall come forth a shoot from the stock of Jesse,
and a branch shall grow out of his roots.

And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him,
the spirit of wisdom and understanding,

The spirit of counsel and might,
the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.

He shall not judge by what his eyes see,
or decide by what his ears hear,

But with righteousness he shall judge the poor,
and decide with equity for the meek of the earth.

The wolf shall dwell with the lamb,
and the leopard shall lie down with the kid.

The calf, the lion and the fatling together,
with a little child to lead them.

They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain,
for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord
as the waters cover the sea.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [1 John 2:19-3:10]:

They went out from us, but they did not belong to us; for
if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with
us. But by going out they made it plain that none of them
belongs to us. But you have been anointed by the Holy
One, and all of you have knowledge. I write to you, not
because you do not know the truth, but because you know
it, and you know that no lie comes from the truth. Who is
the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ?
This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and
the Son. No one who denies the Son has the Father;
everyone who confesses the Son has the Father also. Let
what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what
you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you will
abide in the Son and in the Father. And this is what he
has promised us, eternal life.
I write these things to you concerning those who would
deceive you. As for you, the anointing that you received
from him abides in you, and so you do not need anyone to
teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all
things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has
taught you, abide in him.
And now, little children, abide in him, so that when he
is revealed we may have confidence and not be put to
shame before him at his coming.
If you know that he is righteous, you may be sure that
everyone who does right has been born of him. See what
love the Father has given us, that we should be called
children of God; and that is what we are. The reason the
world does not know us is that it did not know him.
Beloved, we are God's children now; what we will be has
not yet been revealed. What we do know is this: when he
is revealed, we will be like him, for we will see him as
he is. And all who have this hope in him purify
themselves, just as he is pure.
Everyone who commits sin is guilty of lawlessness; sin is
lawlessness. You know that he was revealed to take away
sins, and in him there is no sin. No one who abides in
him sins; no one who sins has either seen him or known
him. Little children, let no one deceive you. Everyone
who does what is right is righteous, just as he is
righteous. Everyone who commits sin is a child of the
devil; for the devil has been sinning from the beginning.
The Son of God was revealed for this purpose, to destroy
the works of the devil. Those who have been born of God
do not sin, because God's seed abides in them; they
cannot sin, because they have been born of God. The
children of God and the children of the devil are
revealed in this way: all who do not do what is right are
not from God, nor are those who do not love their
brothers and sisters.

For another Biblical reading,
Ecclesiasticus 24:13-22

HYMN
Words: Louis Fitzgerald Benson, 1899
Tune: Kingsfold
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o193.html

O sing a hymn of Bethlehem,
of shepherds watching there,
and of the news that came to them
from angels in the air:
the light that shone on Bethlehem
fills all the world today;
of Jesus' birth and peace on earth
the angels sing alway.

O sing a song of Nazareth,
of sunny days of joy;
O sing of fragrant flowers' breath,
and of the sinless Boy:
for now the flowers of Nazareth
in every heart may grow;
now spreads the fame of his dear Name
on all the winds that blow.

O sing a song of Galilee,
of lake and woods and hill,
of him who walked upon the sea
and bade the waves be still:
for though like waves on Galilee,
dark seas of trouble roll,
when faith has heard the Master's word,
falls peace upon the soul.

O sing a song of Calvary,
its glory and dismay,
of him who hung upon the tree,
and took our sins away.
for he who died on Calvary
is risen from the grave,
and Christ, our Lord, by heaven adored,
is mighty now to save.

Father, your Son our Savior
was born as a child among us.
Renew your Church as the Body of Christ.
We pray especially for the Diocese of Lainya, The Sudan,
The Rt Revd Peter Amidi, Bishop.
Holy God,
hear our prayer.

There was no room for your Son in the inn.
Protect with your love those who have no home
and all who live in poverty.
Holy God,
hear our prayer.

Mary, in the pain of labor, brought your Son to birth.
Hold in your hand all who are in pain or distress.
Holy God,
hear our prayer.

Your Christ came as a light shining in the darkness.
Bring comfort to all who suffer
in the sadness of our world.
We pray especially for the people of South Asia
as they deal with the aftermath of last week's tsunamis.
Holy God,
hear our prayer.

The angels sang 'Peace to God's people on earth'.
Strengthen those who work
for peace and justice in all the world.
Holy God,
hear our prayer.

Shepherds in the fields heard good tidings of joy.
Give us grace to preach the gospel of Christ's redemption.
Holy God,
hear our prayer.

Heaven is come down to earth
and earth is raised to heaven.
Keep in safety all those who have passed through death
in the hope of heaven.
Holy God,
hear our prayer.

Christians the world over celebrate his birth.
Open our hearts that he may be born in us today.
Holy God,
hear our prayer.

Angels and shepherds worshiped at the manger throne.
Receive the worship we offer in fellowship
with Mary, Joseph and all the saints.
Holy God,
hear our prayer.

O God the Word and Son of God,
exalted is your name in all creation,
yet you have stooped to become one with us:
as you have ordained humanity the steward of your creation,
so minister through us the mystery of your salvation;
to the glory of your holy Name. Amen.

Eternal God,
you called Vedanayagam Samuel Azariah to proclaim your glory
in a life of prayer and pastoral zeal:
keep the leaders of your Church faithful
and bless your people through their ministry,
that the Church may grow into the full stature
of your Son Jesus Christ our Lord,

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

May he who by his incarnation gathered into one
things earthly and heavenly,
bestow upon us the fullness of peace and goodwill. Amen.

The psalms and the first collect are from _Celebrating Common
Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is
used with permission.

_The Promise of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Samuel Azariah was born in 1874 in a small village in South India, his father,
Thomas Vedanayagam being a simple village priest and his mother Ellen
having a deep love and understanding of the Scriptures. Samuel became a
YMCA evangelist whilst still only nineteen, and secretary of the organisation
throughout South India a few years later. He saw that, for the Church in India
to grow and attract ordinary Indians to the Christian faith, it had to have an
indigenous leadership and reduce the strong western influences and almost
totally white leadership that pervaded it. He was ordained priest at the age of
thirty-five and bishop just three years later, his work moving from primary
evangelism to forwarding his desire for more Indian clergy and the need to
raise their educational standards. He was an avid ecumenist and was one of the
first to see the importance to mission of a united Church. He died on 1 January
1945, just two years before the creation of a united Church of South India.