OREMUS: 2 January 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jan 1 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, January 2, 2005
The Second Sunday after Christmas

you fill our hearts with joy
as we recognize in Christ the revelation of your love.
No eye can see his glory as our God,
yet now he is seen like one of us.
Christ is your Son before all ages,
yet now he is born in time.
He has come to lift up all things to himself,
to restore unity to creation,
and to lead us from exile into your heavenly kingdom.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 66

Be joyful in God, all you lands;*
 sing the glory of his name;
   sing the glory of his praise.
Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!*
 because of your great strength
   your enemies cringe before you.
'All the earth bows down before you,*
 sings to you, sings out your name.'
Come now and see the works of God,*
 how wonderful he is in his doing towards all people.
He turned the sea into dry land,
   so that they went through the water on foot,*
 and there we rejoiced in him.
In his might he rules for ever;
   his eyes keep watch over the nations;*
 let no rebel rise up against him.
Bless our God, you peoples;*
 make the voice of his praise to be heard;
Who holds our souls in life,*
 and will not allow our feet to slip.
For you, O God, have proved us;*
 you have tried us just as silver is tried.
You brought us into the snare;*
 you laid heavy burdens upon our backs.
You let enemies ride over our heads;
   we went through fire and water;*
 but you brought us out into a place of refreshment.
I will enter your house with burnt-offerings
   and will pay you my vows,*
 which I promised with my lips
   and spoke with my mouth when I was in trouble.
I will offer you sacrifices of fat beasts
   with the smoke of rams;*
 I will give you oxen and goats.
Come and listen, all you who fear God,*
 and I will tell you what he has done for me.
I called out to him with my mouth,*
 and his praise was on my tongue.
If I had found evil in my heart,*
 the Lord would not have heard me;
But in truth God has heard me;*
 he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, who has not rejected my prayer,*
 nor withheld his love from me.

A Song of Baruch (Baruch 5.5,6c,7-9

Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height:
look to the east and see your children,

Gathered from the west and the east
at the word of the Holy One.

They rejoice that God has remembered them
and has brought them back to you.

For God has ordered that every high mountain
and the everlasting hills be made low,

And the valleys filled up to make level ground
so that they may walk safely in the glory of God.

The woods and every fragrant tree
have shaded them at God's command.

For God will lead his people with joy
in the light of his glory
with the mercy and righteousness that comes from God.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [1 John 2:18-28]:

Children, it is the last hour! As you have heard that
antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come.
>From this we know that it is the last hour. They went out
from us, but they did not belong to us; for if they had
belonged to us, they would have remained with us. But by
going out they made it plain that none of them belongs to
us. But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and all
of you have knowledge. I write to you, not because you do
not know the truth, but because you know it, and you know
that no lie comes from the truth. Who is the liar but the
one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the
antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son. No
one who denies the Son has the Father; everyone who
confesses the Son has the Father also. Let what you heard
from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from
the beginning abides in you, then you will abide in the
Son and in the Father. And this is what he has promised
us, eternal life.
I write these things to you concerning those who would
deceive you. As for you, the anointing that you received
from him abides in you, and so you do not need anyone to
teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all
things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has
taught you, abide in him.
And now, little children, abide in him, so that when he
is revealed we may have confidence and not be put to
shame before him at his coming.

For another Biblical reading,
Ecclesiasticus 24:1-12

HYMN
Words: Philipp Nicolai, 1597;
paraphrased in Psalmodia Germanica, 1722
and altered by William Mercer, 1855, 1859.
Tune: Wie schoen leuchtet
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h362.html

How bright appears the Morning Star,
with mercy beaming from afar;
the host of heaven rejoices;
O righteous Branch, O Jesse's Rod!
Thou Son of Man and Son of God!
We, too, will lift our voices:
Jesus, Jesus!
Holy, holy, yet most lowly,
draw thou near us;
great Emmanuel, come and hear us.

Though circled by the hosts on high,
he deigned to cast a pitying eye
upon his helpless creature;
the whole creation's Head and Lord,
by highest seraphim adored,
assumed our very nature;
Jesus, grant us,
through thy merit, to inherit
thy salvation;
hear, O hear our supplication.

Rejoice, ye heavens; thou earth, reply;
with praise, ye sinners, fill the sky,
for this his Incarnation.
Incarnate God, put forth thy power,
ride on, ride on, great Conqueror,
till all know thy salvation.
Amen, amen!
Alleluia, alleluia!
Praise be given
evermore, by earth and heaven.

Unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given.
Let us offer our prayers for the needs of the world.

Wonderful Counselor,
give your wisdom to the rulers of the nations...
We pray especially for the people of Palestine.
Lord, in your mercy
hear our prayer.

Mighty God,
make the whole world know
that the government is on your shoulders...
Lord, in your mercy
hear our prayer.

Everlasting Father,
establish your reign of justice and righteousness for ever...
Lord, in your mercy
hear our prayer.

Prince of Peace,
bring in the endless kingdom of your peace...
Lord, in your mercy
hear our prayer.

Lord of the Church,
hear our prayer,
and make us one in heart and mind
to serve you with joy for ever.
Lord, in your mercy
hear our prayer.

God of power and life,
the glory of all who believe in you:
Fill the world with your splendor
and show the nations the light of your truth;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

May he who by his incarnation gathered into one
things earthly and heavenly,
bestow upon us the fullness of peace and goodwill. Amen.

_The Promise of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central

The collect is from _The Book of Alternative Services of The
Anglican Church of Canada_.