OREMUS: 1 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Feb 28 23:17:16 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, March 1, 2005
David, Bishop of Menevia, Patron of Wales, c.601

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 102

Lord, hear my prayer and let my cry come before you;*
 hide not your face from me in the day of my trouble.
Incline your ear to me;*
 when I call, make haste to answer me,
For my days drift away like smoke,*
 and my bones are hot as burning coals.
My heart is smitten like grass and withered,*
 so that I forget to eat my bread.
Because of the voice of my groaning*
 I am but skin and bones.
I have become like a vulture in the wilderness,*
 like an owl among the ruins.
I lie awake and groan;*
 I am like a sparrow, lonely on a house-top.
My enemies revile me all day long,*
 and those who scoff at me
   have taken an oath against me.
For I have eaten ashes for bread*
 and mingled my drink with weeping.
Because of your indignation and wrath*
 you have lifted me up and thrown me away.
My days pass away like a shadow,*
 and I wither like the grass.
But you, O Lord, endure for ever,*
 and your name from age to age.
You will arise and have compassion on Zion,
   for it is time to have mercy upon her;*
 indeed, the appointed time has come.
For your servants love her very rubble,*
 and are moved to pity even for her dust.
The nations shall fear your name, O Lord,*
 and all the kings of the earth your glory.
For the Lord will build up Zion,*
 and his glory will appear.
He will look with favour on the prayer of the homeless;*
 he will not despise their plea.
Let this be written for a future generation,*
 so that a people yet unborn may praise the Lord.
For the Lord looked down from his holy place on high;*
 from the heavens he beheld the earth;
That he might hear the groan of the captive*
 and set free those condemned to die;
That they may declare in Zion the name of the Lord,*
 and his praise in Jerusalem;
When the peoples are gathered together,*
 and the kingdoms also, to serve the Lord.
He has brought down my strength before my time;*
 he has shortened the number of my days;
And I said, 'O my God,
   do not take me away in the midst of my days;*
 your years endure throughout all generations.
'In the beginning, O Lord,
   you laid the foundations of the earth,*
 and the heavens are the work of your hands;
'They shall perish, but you will endure;
   they all shall wear out like a garment;*
 as clothing you will change them,
   and they shall be changed;
'But you are always the same,*
 and your years will never end.
'The children of your servants shall continue,*
 and their offspring shall stand fast in your sight.'

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5:3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

READING [John 5:1-18]:

After this there was a festival of the Jews, and Jesus
went up to Jerusalem.
Now in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate there is a pool,
called in Hebrew Beth-zatha, which has five porticoes. In
these lay many invalids blind, lame, and paralysed. One
man was there who had been ill for thirty-eight years.
When Jesus saw him lying there and knew that he had been
there a long time, he said to him, 'Do you want to be
made well?' The sick man answered him, 'Sir, I have no
one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up;
and while I am making my way, someone else steps down
ahead of me.' Jesus said to him, 'Stand up, take your mat
and walk.' At once the man was made well, and he took up
his mat and began to walk.
Now that day was a sabbath. So the Jews said to the man
who had been cured, 'It is the sabbath; it is not lawful
for you to carry your mat.' But he answered them, 'The
man who made me well said to me, "Take up your mat and
walk." ' They asked him, 'Who is the man who said to you,
"Take it up and walk"?' Now the man who had been healed
did not know who it was, for Jesus had disappeared in the
crowd that was there. Later Jesus found him in the temple
and said to him, 'See, you have been made well! Do not
sin any more, so that nothing worse happens to you.' The
man went away and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had
made him well. Therefore the Jews started persecuting
Jesus, because he was doing such things on the sabbath.
But Jesus answered them, 'My Father is still working, and
I also am working.' For this reason the Jews were seeking
all the more to kill him, because he was not only
breaking the sabbath, but was also calling God his own
Father, thereby making himself equal to God.

For another Biblical reading,
Numbers 21:4-9,21-35

HYMN
Words: John Marriott, 1813
Tune: Moscow
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t640.html

Thou, whose almighty word
chaos and darkness heard,
and took their flight;
hear us, we humbly pray,
and, where the Gospel day
sheds not its glorious ray,
let there be light!

Thou who didst come to bring
on thy redeeming wing
healing and sight,
heal to the sick in mind,
sight to the in-ly blind,
now to all humankind,
let there be light!

Spirit of truth and love,
life-giving holy Dove,
speed forth thy flight!
Move on the waters' face
bearing the gifts of grace,
and, in earth's darkest place,
let there be light!

Holy and blessed Three,
glorious Trinity,
Wisdom, Love, Might;
boundless as ocean's tide,
rolling in fullest pride,
through the world far and wide,
let there be light!

Show us your mercy, O Lord;
And grant us your salvation.

O Lord, save our nation;
And teach wisdom to those in authority.

Let your priests be clothed with righteousness;
Let your faithful people sing with joy.

Let your ways be known upon earth;
Your saving health among all nations.

Give your people the blessing of peace
And may all the earth be filled with your glory.

Create in us clean hearts, O God,
And renew a right spirit within us.

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially for
the Diocese of Masasi, Tanzania, The Rt Revd Patrick Mwachiko, Bishop.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

In the beginning, O God,
you laid the foundations of the earth
and the heavens are the work of your hands;
have pity on our human frailty
and cast us not away like clothing that is worn,
for you alone are our salvation for ever;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

Almighty God,
who called your servant David
to be a faithful and wise steward of your mysteries
      for the people of Wales:
in your mercy, grant that,
following his purity of life and zeal for the gospel of Christ,
we may with him receive the crown of everlasting life;

God of love,
turn our hearts to your ways;
and give us peace. Amen.

The closing sentence is from An Invitation to Prayer, (c) The Church of
England, 2001-2003.

When the pagan Anglo-Saxons invaded Britain in the fifth and sixth centuries,
many British Christians sought refuge in the hill country of Wales. There they
developed a style of Christian life devoted to learning, asceticism, and
missionary fervor. Since there were no cities, the centers of culture were the
monasteries, and most abbots were bishops as well. Dewi (David in English)
was the founder, abbot, and bishop of the monastery of Mynyw (Menevia in
English) in Pembrokeshire. He was responsible for much of the spread of
Christianity in Wales, and his monastery was sought out by many scholars from
Ireland and elsewhere. He is commonly accounted the apostle of Wales, as
Patrick is of Ireland. His tomb is in St. David's cathedral, on the site of ancient
Mynyw, now called Ty-Dewi (House of David).
The ancient custom in Wales, as throughout Celtic Christendom, was to have
bishops who were abbots of monasteries, and who had no clear territorial
jurisdiction, simply traveling about as they were needed. Eventually, however,
the bishops of Bangor, Llandaff, St. Asaph, and St. Davids became the heads
of four territorial dioceses, to which the diocese of Monmouth and the diocese
of Swansea and Brecon have been added in this century.
For many centuries the Church in Wales had closer ties with the Celtic
Churches in Scotland, Ireland, and Brittany than with the Church in
Anglo-Saxon England. However, after the Norman conquest of Britain (1066
and after), the Anglo-Norman Kings began to contemplate the conquest of
Wales. William the Conqueror began with the subjugation of South Wales as
far as Carmathen, but the Welsh uplands remained independent far longer, and
the conquest was not complete until about 1300, under Edward I. But
eventually all of Wales came under English control, and the Church in Wales
was placed under the jurisdiction of Canterbury, and thus became identified in
the minds of many with the English supremacy. In 1920 the Church in Wales
(Eglwys yng Nghymru) became independent of outside jurisdiction (though
still in communion with other Anglican Churches, in England and elsewhere)
and clear of all ties with the government. It is bilingual and active in the
preservation of the Welsh language and culture.