OREMUS: 28 February 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Feb 27 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, February 28, 2005

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 102

Lord, hear my prayer and let my cry come before you;*
 hide not your face from me in the day of my trouble.
Incline your ear to me;*
 when I call, make haste to answer me,
For my days drift away like smoke,*
 and my bones are hot as burning coals.
My heart is smitten like grass and withered,*
 so that I forget to eat my bread.
Because of the voice of my groaning*
 I am but skin and bones.
I have become like a vulture in the wilderness,*
 like an owl among the ruins.
I lie awake and groan;*
 I am like a sparrow, lonely on a house-top.
My enemies revile me all day long,*
 and those who scoff at me
   have taken an oath against me.
For I have eaten ashes for bread*
 and mingled my drink with weeping.
Because of your indignation and wrath*
 you have lifted me up and thrown me away.
My days pass away like a shadow,*
 and I wither like the grass.
But you, O Lord, endure for ever,*
 and your name from age to age.
You will arise and have compassion on Zion,
   for it is time to have mercy upon her;*
 indeed, the appointed time has come.
For your servants love her very rubble,*
 and are moved to pity even for her dust.
The nations shall fear your name, O Lord,*
 and all the kings of the earth your glory.
For the Lord will build up Zion,*
 and his glory will appear.
He will look with favour on the prayer of the homeless;*
 he will not despise their plea.
Let this be written for a future generation,*
 so that a people yet unborn may praise the Lord.
For the Lord looked down from his holy place on high;*
 from the heavens he beheld the earth;
That he might hear the groan of the captive*
 and set free those condemned to die;
That they may declare in Zion the name of the Lord,*
 and his praise in Jerusalem;
When the peoples are gathered together,*
 and the kingdoms also, to serve the Lord.
He has brought down my strength before my time;*
 he has shortened the number of my days;
And I said, 'O my God,
   do not take me away in the midst of my days;*
 your years endure throughout all generations.
'In the beginning, O Lord,
   you laid the foundations of the earth,*
 and the heavens are the work of your hands;
'They shall perish, but you will endure;
   they all shall wear out like a garment;*
 as clothing you will change them,
   and they shall be changed;
'But you are always the same,*
 and your years will never end.
'The children of your servants shall continue,*
 and their offspring shall stand fast in your sight.'

A Song of Humility (Hosea 6:1-6)

Come, let us return to the Lord
who has torn us and will heal us.

God has stricken us
and will bind up our wounds.

After two days, he will revive us,
and on the third day will raise us up,
that we may live in his presence.

Let us strive to know the Lord;
his appearing is as sure as the sunrise.

He will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth.

'O Ephraim, how shall I deal with you?
How shall I deal with you, O Judah?

'Your love for me is like the morning mist,
like the dew that goes early away.

'Therefore, I have hewn them by the prophets,
and my judgement goes forth as the light.

'For loyalty is my desire and not sacrifice,
and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.'

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [John 4:43-54]:

When the two days were over, he went from that place to
Galilee (for Jesus himself had testified that a prophet
has no honour in the prophet's own country). When he came
to Galilee, the Galileans welcomed him, since they had
seen all that he had done in Jerusalem at the festival;
for they too had gone to the festival.
Then he came again to Cana in Galilee where he had
changed the water into wine. Now there was a royal
official whose son lay ill in Capernaum. When he heard
that Jesus had come from Judea to Galilee, he went and
begged him to come down and heal his son, for he was at
the point of death. Then Jesus said to him, 'Unless you
see signs and wonders you will not believe.' The official
said to him, 'Sir, come down before my little boy dies.'
Jesus said to him, 'Go; your son will live.' The man
believed the word that Jesus spoke to him and started on
his way. As he was going down, his slaves met him and
told him that his child was alive. So he asked them the
hour when he began to recover, and they said to him,
'Yesterday at one in the afternoon the fever left him.'
The father realized that this was the hour when Jesus had
said to him, 'Your son will live.' So he himself
believed, along with his whole household. Now this was
the second sign that Jesus did after coming from Judea to
Galilee.

For another Biblical reading,
Numbers 20:14-29

HYMN
Words: Latin, before the twelfth century;
trans. Thomas Alexander Lacey, 1906
Tune: Das neugeborne Kindelein (Jena)
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/n/n108.html

Now is the healing time decreed
for sins of heart, of word or deed,
when we in humble fear record
the wrong that we have done the Lord;

who, alway merciful and good,
has borne so long our wayward mood,
nor cut us off unsparingly
in our so great iniquity.

Therefore with fasting and with prayer,
our secret sorrow we declare;
with all good striving seek his face,
and lowly-hearted plead for grace.

Cleanse us, O Lord, from every stain,
help us the meed of praise to gain,
till with the angels linked in love
joyful we tread thy courts above.

Father and Son and Spirit blest,
to thee be every prayer addressed,
who art in threefold Name adored,
from age to age, the only Lord.

Save your people, Lord, and bless your inheritance,
Govern and uphold them now and always.

Day by day, we bless you;
We praise your name for ever.

Keep us today, Lord, from all sin;
Have mercy on us, Lord, have mercy.

We long for your salvation, O Lord:
grant us understanding, that we may live.

Lord, show us your love and mercy,
For we put our trust in you.

In you, Lord, is our hope:
Let us not be confounded at the last

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially
the Diocese of Maryland, USA, The Rt Revd Robert Wilkes Ihloff, Bishop.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

In the beginning, O God,
you laid the foundations of the earth
and the heavens are the work of your hands;
have pity on our human frailty
and cast us not away like clothing that is worn,
for you alone are our salvation for ever;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

God of love,
turn our hearts to your ways;
and give us peace. Amen.

The canticle, the collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The closing sentence is from An Invitation to Prayer, (c) The Church of
England, 2001-2003.