OREMUS: 26 February 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Feb 25 21:32:48 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, February 26, 2005

you accepted the sacrifice of your Son,
who have himself up for the sake of all.
You train us by his teaching
and school us in his obedience,
that as we walk his way of sacrifice,
we may come to share in your glory.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 40

I waited patiently upon the Lord;*
 he stooped to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the desolate pit,
   out of the mire and clay;*
 he set my feet upon a high cliff and made my footing sure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
   a song of praise to our God;*
 many shall see and stand in awe
   and put their trust in the Lord.
Happy are they who trust in the Lord!*
 they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.
Great things are they that you have done, O Lord my God!
   how great your wonders and your plans for us!*
 there is none who can be compared with you.
O that I could make them known and tell them!*
 but they are more than I can count.
In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure*
 you have given me ears to hear you;
Burnt-offering and sin-offering you have not required,*
 and so I said, 'Behold, I come.
'In the roll of the book it is written concerning me:*
 "I love to do your will, O my God;
 your law is deep in my heart."'
I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation;*
 behold, I did not restrain my lips;
 and that, O Lord, you know.
Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart;
   I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance;*
 I have not concealed your love and faithfulness
   from the great congregation.
You are the Lord;
   do not withhold your compassion from me;*
 let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever,
For innumerable troubles have crowded upon me;
   my sins have overtaken me and I cannot see;*
 they are more in number than the hairs of my head,
   and my heart fails me.
Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let them be ashamed and altogether dismayed
   who seek after my life to destroy it;*
 let them draw back and be disgraced
   who take pleasure in my misfortune.
Let those who say 'Aha!' and gloat over me be confounded,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice in you and be glad;*
 let those who love your salvation continually say,
   'Great is the Lord!'
Though I am poor and afflicted,*
 the Lord will have regard for me.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 do not tarry, O my God.

A Song of Repentance (1 John 1:5-9)

This is the message we have heard from Christ
and proclaim to you:
that God is light,
in whom there is no darkness at all.

If we say that we have fellowship with God
while we walk in darkness,
we lie and do not do what is true.

But if we walk in the light
as God is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another.

And the blood of Jesus, the Son of God,
cleanses us from all our sins.

If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves
and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins,
the One who is faithful and just will forgive us
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Ephesians 6:10-20]:

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his
power. Put on the whole armour of God, so that you may be
able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For our
struggle is not against enemies of blood and flesh, but
against the rulers, against the authorities, against the
cosmic powers of this present darkness, against the
spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.
Therefore take up the whole armour of God, so that you
may be able to withstand on that evil day, and having
done everything, to stand firm. Stand therefore, and
fasten the belt of truth around your waist, and put on
the breastplate of righteousness. As shoes for your feet
put on whatever will make you ready to proclaim the
gospel of peace. With all of these, take the shield of
faith, with which you will be able to quench all the
flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of
salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word
of God.
Pray in the Spirit at all times in every prayer and
supplication. To that end keep alert and always persevere
in supplication for all the saints. Pray also for me, so
that when I speak, a message may be given to me to make
known with boldness the mystery of the gospel, for which
I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it
boldly, as I must speak.

For another Biblical reading,
Joshua 1:1-9

HYMN
Words: Lawrence Tuttiett, 1861
Tune: Lancashire
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g102.html

Go forward, Christian soldier,
beneath his banner true:
the Lord himself, thy Leader,
shall all thy foes subdue.
His love fortells thy trials;
he knows thine hourly need;
he can with bread of heaven
thy fainting spirit feed.

Go forward, Christian soldier,
fear not the secret foe;
far more o'er thee are watching
than human eyes can know:
trust only Christ, thy Captain;
cease not to watch and pray;
heed not the treacherous voices
that lure thy soul astray.

Go forward, Christian soldier,
nor dream of peaceful rest,
till Satan's host is vanquished
and heaven is all possessed;
till Christ himself shall call thee
to lay thine armor by,
and wear in endless glory
the crown of victory.

Go forward, Christian soldier,
fear not the gathering night:
the Lord has been thy shelter;
the Lord will be thy light.
When morn his face revealeth
thy dangers all are past:
O pray that faith and virtue
may keep thee to the last!

O Lord, answer us in the day of trouble,
Send us help from your holy place.

Show us the path of life,
For in your presence is joy.

Give justice to the orphan and oppressed
And break the power of wickedness and evil.

Look upon the hungry and sorrowful
And grant them the help for which they long.

Let the heavens rejoice and the earth be glad;
May your glory endure for ever.

Your kingship has dominion over all
And with you is our redemption.

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially
the Diocese of Maridi, Sudan, The Rt Revd Justin Badi Arama, Bishop.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Grant, most merciful Lord,
to your faithful people pardon and peace,
that they may be cleansed from all their sins,
and serve you with a quiet mind;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Help us, O God, to be obedient to your call
to love all your children,
to do justice and show mercy,
and to live in peace with your whole creation;

The collect is from _The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and

The closing sentence are from _Book of Common
Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.