OREMUS: 22 February 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Feb 21 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, February 22, 2005

you accepted the sacrifice of your Son,
who have himself up for the sake of all.
You train us by his teaching
and school us in his obedience,
that as we walk his way of sacrifice,
we may come to share in your glory.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 130

Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
   Lord, hear my voice;*
 let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss,*
 O Lord, who could stand?
For there is forgiveness with you;*
 therefore you shall be feared.
I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him;*
 in his word is my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord,
   more than the night-watch for the morning,*
 more than the night-watch for the morning.
O Israel, wait for the Lord,*
 for with the Lord there is mercy;
With him there is plenteous redemption,*
 and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

Psalm 142

I cry to the Lord with my voice;*
 to the Lord I make loud supplication.
I pour out my complaint before him*
 and tell him all my trouble.
When my spirit languishes within me, you know my path;*
 in the way wherein I walk they have hidden a trap for me.
I look to my right hand and find no one who knows me;*
 I have no place to flee to and no one cares for me.
I cry out to you, O Lord;*
 I say, 'You are my refuge,
   my portion in the land of the living.'
Listen to my cry for help,
   for I have been brought very low;*
 save me from those who pursue me,
   for they are too strong for me.
Bring me out of prison,
   that I may give thanks to your name;*
 when you have dealt bountifully with me,
   the righteous will gather around me.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5:3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

READING [Job 8:1-13,20-22]:

Then Bildad the Shuhite answered:
'How long will you say these things,
   and the words of your mouth be a great wind?
Does God pervert justice?
   Or does the Almighty pervert the right?
If your children sinned against him,
   he delivered them into the power of their
transgression.
If you will seek God
   and make supplication to the Almighty,
if you are pure and upright,
   surely then he will rouse himself for you
   and restore to you your rightful place.
Though your beginning was small,
   your latter days will be very great.

'For inquire now of bygone generations,
   and consider what their ancestors have found;
for we are but of yesterday, and we know nothing,
   for our days on earth are but a shadow.
Will they not teach you and tell you
   and utter words out of their understanding?

'Can papyrus grow where there is no marsh?
   Can reeds flourish where there is no water?
While yet in flower and not cut down,
   they wither before any other plant.
Such are the paths of all who forget God;
   the hope of the godless shall perish.

'See, God will not reject a blameless person,
   nor take the hand of evildoers.
He will yet fill your mouth with laughter,
   and your lips with shouts of joy.
Those who hate you will be clothed with shame,
   and the tent of the wicked will be no more.'

For another Biblical reading,
1 Peter 3:15b-22

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
Tune: Croft's 136th
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w081.html

We give immortal praise
To God the Father's love,
For all our comforts here,
And better hopes above.
He sent his own eternal Son
To die for sins that man had done,

To God the Son belongs
Immortal glory too,
Who bought us with his blood
>From everlasting woe:
And now he lives, and now he reigns,
And sees the fruit of all his pains.

To God the Spirit's name
Immortal worship give,
Whose new-creating power
Makes the dead sinner live:
His work completes the great design,
And fills the soul with joy divine.

Almighty God, to thee
Be endless honors done,
The undivided three,
And the mysterious one:
Where reason fails with all her powers,
There faith prevails, and love adores.

Lord God,
whom we love and whom we desire to love more,
bring us to love you as much as we ought.

Come with Christ and dwell in our hearts
and keep watch over our lips, our steps, and our deeds
and we shall not need to be anxious either for our souls or our bodies.

Give us love that knows no enemy
and love that is for others as you love us.

Cause our hearts frozen in sin, cold to you and cold to others,
to be warmed by your divine fire.

Hear us as we embrace in the circle of your love:
the life of your Church, especially the Diocese of Mandalay, Myanmar,
The Rt Revd Andrew Hla Aung, Bishop...

the world groaning...

the cares of our own lives...

and those particular concerns which your Spirit prompts...

Lord of mercy and redemption,
rescue us, we pray, from the depths of sin and death;
forgive us what we do wrong,
and give us grace to stand in your presence,
to serve you in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Help us, O God, to be obedient to your call
to love all your children,
to do justice and show mercy,
and to live in peace with your whole creation;

The psalms and the collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_
(Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by St. Anselm and is reprinted from
_THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use
of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke.
Used by permission.

The closing sentence are from _Book of Common
Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.