OREMUS: 20 February 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Feb 19 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, February 20, 2005
The Second Sunday in Lent

you accepted the sacrifice of your Son,
who have himself up for the sake of all.
You train us by his teaching
and school us in his obedience,
that as we walk his way of sacrifice,
we may come to share in your glory.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 119:1-24

Happy are they whose way is blameless,*
 who walk in the law of the Lord!
Happy are they who observe his decrees*
 and seek him with all their hearts!
Who never do any wrong,*
 but always walk in his ways.
You laid down your commandments,*
 that we should fully keep them.
O that my ways were made so direct*
 that I might keep your statutes!
Then I should not be put to shame,*
 when I regard all your commandments.
I will thank you with an unfeigned heart,*
 when I have learned your righteous judgements.
I will keep your statutes;*
 do not utterly forsake me.

How shall the young cleanse their way?*
 By keeping to your words.
With my whole heart I seek you;*
 let me not stray from your commandments.
I treasure your promise in my heart,*
 that I may not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O Lord;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
With my lips will I recite*
 all the judgements of your mouth.
I have taken greater delight in the way of your decrees*
 than in all manner of riches.
I will meditate on your commandments*
 and give attention to your ways.
My delight is in your statutes;*
 I will not forget your word.

Deal bountifully with your servant,*
 that I may live and keep your word.
Open my eyes, that I may see*
 the wonders of your law.
I am a stranger here on earth;*
 do not hide your commandments from me.
My soul is consumed at all times*
 with longing for your judgements.
You have rebuked the insolent;*
 cursed are they who stray from your commandments!
Turn from me shame and rebuke,*
 for I have kept your decrees.
Even though rulers sit and plot against me,*
 I will meditate on your statutes.
For your decrees are my delight,*
 and they are my counsellors.

The Song of Christ's Glory (Philippians 2:5-11)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
 but he did not cling to equality with God.

He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
 and was born in our human likeness.

Being found in human form he humbled himself,
 and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.

Therefore God has highly exalted him,
 and bestowed on him the name above every name.

That at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow,
 in heaven and on earth and under the earth;

And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
 to the glory of God the Father.

Psalm 117

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Exodus 2:23-3:8a]:

After a long time the king of Egypt died. The Israelites
groaned under their slavery, and cried out. Out of the
slavery their cry for help rose up to God. God heard
their groaning, and God remembered his covenant with
Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. God looked upon the
Israelites, and God took notice of them.
Moses was keeping the flock of his father-in-law Jethro,
the priest of Midian; he led his flock beyond the
wilderness, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. There
the angel of the LORD appeared to him in a flame of fire
out of a bush; he looked, and the bush was blazing, yet
it was not consumed. Then Moses said, 'I must turn aside
and look at this great sight, and see why the bush is not
burned up.' When the LORD saw that he had turned aside to
see, God called to him out of the bush, 'Moses, Moses!'
And he said, 'Here I am.' Then he said, 'Come no closer!
Remove the sandals from your feet, for the place on which
you are standing is holy ground.' He said further, 'I am
the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of
Isaac, and the God of Jacob.' And Moses hid his face, for
he was afraid to look at God.
Then the LORD said, 'I have observed the misery of my
people who are in Egypt; I have heard their cry on
account of their taskmasters. Indeed, I know their
sufferings, and I have come down to deliver them from the
Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land to a
good and broad land, a land flowing with milk and honey,
to the country of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the
Amorites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites.

For another Biblical reading,
Matthew 26:36-56

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1742
Tune: Stockton, Song 67
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o137.html

O for a heart to praise my God,
a heart from sin set free,
a heart that always feels thy blood
so freely shed for me.

A heart resigned, submissive, meek,
my great Redeemer's throne,
where only Christ is heard to speak,
where Jesus reigns alone.

A humble, lowly, contrite, heart,
believing, true and clean,
which neither life nor death can part
from him that dwells within.

A heart in every thought renewed
and full of love divine,
perfect and right and pure and good,
a copy, Lord, of thine.

My heart, thou know'st, can never rest
till thou create my peace;
till of mine Eden repossessed,
from self, and sin, I cease.

Thy nature, gracious Lord, impart;
come quickly from above;
write thy new name upon my heart,
thy new, best name of Love.

As we prepare for the paschal feast,
let us offer intercessions to God
who gave up his Son for us.

For this holy gathering,
for all Christians enduring persecution
and tested by suffering,
and for all the holy people of God.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For catechumens and their sponsors.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For the descendants of Abraham and Sarah,
for all who share God's covenant,
and for all the peoples of the earth.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For all who are oppressed, afflicted, or in despair.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For the dying and the dead,
and for those who mourn.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For our deliverance from all affliction, strife, and need.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

God of mercy,
you are full of tenderness and compassion,
slow to anger, rich in mercy,
and always ready to forgive.
Grant us grace to renounce all evil
and to cling to Christ,
that in every way we may prove to be your loving children;
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Help us, O God, to be obedient to your call
to love all your children,
to do justice and show mercy,
and to live in peace with your whole creation;

The intercession is by Ormonde Plater and the response is by Stephen Benner.

The collect and the closing sentence are from _Book of Common
Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.