OREMUS: 19 February 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Feb 18 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, February 19, 2005

Blessed are you, God of compassion and mercy,
for in these forty days
you lead us into the desert of repentance
that through a pilgrimage of prayer and discipline
we may grow in grace
and learn to be your people once again,
redeemed by your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 135

Praise the name of the Lord;*
 give praise, you servants of the Lord,
You who stand in the house of the Lord,*
 in the courts of the house of our God.
Praise the Lord, for the Lord is good;*
 sing praises to his name, for it is lovely.
For the Lord has chosen Jacob for himself*
 and Israel for his own possession.
For I know that the Lord is great,*
 and that our Lord is above all gods.
The Lord does whatever pleases him,
   in heaven and on earth,*
 in the seas and all the deeps.
He brings up rain clouds from the ends of the earth;*
 he sends out lightning with the rain,
   and brings the winds out of his storehouse.
It was he who struck down the first-born of Egypt,*
 the first-born both of human and beast.
He sent signs and wonders
   into the midst of you, O Egypt,*
 against Pharaoh and all his servants.
He overthrew many nations*
 and put mighty kings to death:
Sihon, king of the Amorites,
   and Og, the king of Bashan,*
 and all the kingdoms of Canaan.
He gave their land to be an inheritance,*
 an inheritance for Israel his people.
O Lord, your name is everlasting;*
 your renown, O Lord, endures from age to age.
For the Lord gives his people justice*
 and shows compassion to his servants.
The idols of the heathen are silver and gold,*
 the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
 eyes have they, but they cannot see.
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
 neither is there any breath in their mouth.
Those who make them are like them,*
 and so are all who put their trust in them.
Bless the Lord, O house of Israel;*
 O house of Aaron, bless the Lord.
Bless the Lord, O house of Levi;*
 you who fear the Lord, bless the Lord.
Blessed be the Lord out of Zion,*
 who dwells in Jerusalem.

A Song of Repentance (1 John 1:5-9)

This is the message we have heard from Christ
and proclaim to you:
that God is light,
in whom there is no darkness at all.

If we say that we have fellowship with God
while we walk in darkness,
we lie and do not do what is true.

But if we walk in the light
as God is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another.

And the blood of Jesus, the Son of God,
cleanses us from all our sins.

If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves
and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins,
the One who is faithful and just will forgive us
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Numbers 21:4-9]:

>From Mount Hor they set out by the way to the Red Sea, to
go around the land of Edom; but the people became
impatient on the way. The people spoke against God and
against Moses, 'Why have you brought us up out of Egypt
to die in the wilderness? For there is no food and no
water, and we detest this miserable food.' Then the LORD
sent poisonous serpents among the people, and they bit
the people, so that many Israelites died. The people came
to Moses and said, 'We have sinned by speaking against
the LORD and against you; pray to the LORD to take away
the serpents from us.' So Moses prayed for the people.
And the LORD said to Moses, 'Make a poisonous serpent,
and set it on a pole; and everyone who is bitten shall
look at it and live.' So Moses made a serpent of bronze,
and put it upon a pole; and whenever a serpent bit
someone, that person would look at the serpent of bronze
and live.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 14:25-33

HYMN
Words: George William Kitchen and Michael Robert Newbolt, 1916
Tune: Crucifer
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l118.html

Refrain:
Lift high the cross,
the love of Christ proclaim
till all the world adore
his sacred Name.

Come, brethren, follow where our Captain trod,
our King victorious, Christ the Son of God. Refrain

Led on their way by this triumphant sign,
the hosts of God in conquering ranks combine. Refrain

Each newborn soldier of the Crucified
bears on the brow the seal of him who died. Refrain

This is the sign which Satan's legions fear
and angels veil their faces to rever. Refrain

Saved by this Cross whereon their Lord was slain,
the sons of Adam their lost home regain. Refrain

>From north and south, from east and west they raise
in growing unison their songs of praise. Refrain

O Lord, once lifted on the glorious tree,
as thou hast promised, draw the world to thee. Refrain

Let every race and every language tell
of him who saves our souls from death and hell. Refrain

>From farthest regions let their homage bring,
and on his Cross adore their Savior King. Refrain

Set up thy throne, that earth's despair may cease
beneath the shadow of its healing peace. Refrain

For thy blest Cross which doth for all atone
creation's praises rise before thy throne. Refrain

O Lord, answer us in the day of trouble,
Send us help from your holy place.

Show us the path of life,
For in your presence is joy.

Give justice to the orphan and oppressed
And break the power of wickedness and evil.

Look upon the hungry and sorrowful
And grant them the help for which they long.

Let the heavens rejoice and the earth be glad;
May your glory endure for ever.

Your kingship has dominion over all
And with you is our redemption.

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially
the Diocese of Manchester, England, The Rt Revd Nigel McCulloch, Bishop.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

O God,
by your Word you marvelously carry out
the work of reconciliation:
Grant that in our Lenten fast
we may be devoted to you with all our hearts,
and united with one another in prayer and holy love;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Nourish our faith,
increase our hope,
and strengthen our love,
that we may live by your Word;

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses a sentence from a preface and the
closing sentence uses phrases from a prayer in _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The collect is from _The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and