OREMUS: 18 February 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Feb 17 20:50:14 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, February 18, 2005

Blessed are you, God of compassion and mercy,
for in these forty days
you lead us into the desert of repentance
that through a pilgrimage of prayer and discipline
we may grow in grace
and learn to be your people once again,
redeemed by your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 51

Have mercy on me, O God,
   according to your loving-kindness;*
 in your great compassion blot out my offences.
Wash me through and through from my wickedness*
 and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,*
 and my sin is ever before me.
Against you only have I sinned*
 and done what is evil in your sight.
And so you are justified when you speak*
 and upright in your judgement.
Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth,*
 a sinner from my mother's womb.
For behold, you look for truth deep within me,*
 and will make me understand wisdom secretly.
Purge me from my sin and I shall be pure;*
 wash me and I shall be clean indeed.
Make me hear of joy and gladness,*
 that the body you have broken may rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins*
 and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,*
 and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence*
 and take not your holy Spirit from me.
Give me the joy of your saving help again*
 and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
I shall teach your ways to the wicked,*
 and sinners shall return to you.
Deliver me from death, O God,*
 and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness,
   O God of my salvation.
Open my lips, O Lord,*
 and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice,*
 but you take no delight in burnt-offerings.
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit;*
 a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Be favourable and gracious to Zion,*
 and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
   with burnt-offerings and oblations;*
 then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.

A Song of Christ the Servant (1 Peter 2.21b-25

Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example,
that you should follow in his steps.

He committed no sin, no guile was found on his lips,
when he was reviled, he did not revile in turn.

When he suffered, he did not threaten,
but he trusted himself to God who judges justly.

Christ himself bore our sins in his body on the tree,
that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.

By his wounds, you have been healed,
for you were straying like sheep,
but have now returned
cato the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

READING [Job 5:17-27]:

'How happy is the one whom God reproves;
   therefore do not despise the discipline of the Almighty.
For he wounds, but he binds up;
   he strikes, but his hands heal.
He will deliver you from six troubles;
   in seven no harm shall touch you.
In famine he will redeem you from death,
   and in war from the power of the sword.
You shall be hidden from the scourge of the tongue,
   and shall not fear destruction when it comes.
At destruction and famine you shall laugh,
   and shall not fear the wild animals of the earth.
For you shall be in league with the stones of the field,
   and the wild animals shall be at peace with you.
You shall know that your tent is safe,
   you shall inspect your fold and miss nothing.
You shall know that your descendants will be many,
   and your offspring like the grass of the earth.
You shall come to your grave in ripe old age,
   as a shock of grain comes up to the threshing-floor in its season.
See, we have searched this out; it is true.
   Hear, and know it for yourself.'

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 14:15-24

HYMN
Words: Jean-Baptiste de Santeil, 1686; trans. Isaac Williams, 1836,
Tune: Hanover, Old 104th
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/d/d054.html

Disposer supreme, and Judge of the earth,
who choosest for thine the weak and the poor;
to frail earthen vessels, and things of no worth,
entrusting thy riches which ay shall endure.

Those vessels soon fail, though full of thy light,
and at thy decree are broken and gone;
thence brightly appeareth the arm of thy might,
as through the clouds breaking the lightnings have shone.

Like clouds are they borne to do thy great will,
and swift as the winds about the world go:
the Word with his wisdom their spirits doth fill;
they thunder, they lighten, the waters o'erflow.

Their sound goeth forth, "Christ Jesus is Lord!"
Then Satan doth fear, his citadels fall;
as when the dread trumpets went forth at thy word,
and on the ground lieth the Canaanite's wall.

O loud be their trump, and stirring their sound,
to rouse us, O Lord, from sin's deadly sleep.
May lights which thou kindlest in darkness around
the dull soul awaken her vigils to keep!

All honor and praise, dominion and might,
to God, Three in One, eternally be,
who round us hath shed his own marvelous light,
and called us from darkness his glory to see.

Send forth your strength, O God,
Establish what you have wrought in us.

Uphold all those who fall
And raise up those who are bowed down.

Open the eyes of the blind
And set the prisoners free.

Sustain the orphan and widow
And give food to those who hunger.

Grant them the joy of your help again
And sustain them with your Spirit.

O Lord, judge the peoples
And take all nations for your own.

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially
the Diocese of Malakal, Sudan, The Rt Revd Hilary Garang, Bishop.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Lord Christ, our eternal Redeemer,
grant us such fellowship in your sufferings,
that, filled with your Holy Spirit,
we may subdue the flesh to the spirit,
and the spirit to you,
and at the last attain to the glory of your resurrection;
who live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Nourish our faith,
increase our hope,
and strengthen our love,
that we may live by your Word;

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses a sentence from a preface and the
closing sentence uses phrases from a prayer in _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The first collect is from _The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and