OREMUS: 15 February 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Feb 14 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, February 15, 2005
Thomas Bray, Priest, Founder of the SPCK and the SPG, 1730

Blessed are you, God of compassion and mercy,
for in these forty days
you lead us into the desert of repentance
that through a pilgrimage of prayer and discipline
we may grow in grace
and learn to be your people once again,
redeemed by your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 139

Lord, you have searched me out and known me;*
 you know my sitting down and my rising up;
   you discern my thoughts from afar.
You trace my journeys and my resting-places*
 and are acquainted with all my ways.
Indeed, there is not a word on my lips,*
 but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
You press upon me behind and before*
 and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;*
 it is so high that I cannot attain to it.
Where can I go then from your Spirit?*
 where can I flee from your presence?
If I climb up to heaven, you are there;*
 if I make the grave my bed, you are there also.
If I take the wings of the morning*
 and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there your hand will lead me*
 and your right hand hold me fast.
If I say, 'Surely the darkness will cover me,*
 and the light around me turn to night',
Darkness is not dark to you;
   the night is as bright as the day;*
 darkness and light to you are both alike.
For you yourself created my inmost parts;*
 you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I will thank you because I am marvellously made;*
 your works are wonderful and I know it well.
My body was not hidden from you,*
 while I was being made in secret
   and woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb;
   all of them were written in your book;*
 they were fashioned day by day,
   when as yet there was none of them.
How deep I find your thoughts, O God!*
 how great is the sum of them!
If I were to count them,
   they would be more in number than the sand;*
 to count them all,
   my life span would need to be like yours.
Search me out, O God, and know my heart;*
 try me and know my restless thoughts.
Look well whether there be any wickedness in me*
 and lead me in the way that is everlasting.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5:3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

READING [Job 2:1-10]:

One day the heavenly beings came to present themselves
before the LORD, and Satan also came among them to
present himself before the LORD. The LORD said to Satan,
'Where have you come from?' Satan answered the LORD,
'From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up
and down on it.' The LORD said to Satan, 'Have you
considered my servant Job? There is no one like him on
the earth, a blameless and upright man who fears God and
turns away from evil. He still persists in his integrity,
although you incited me against him, to destroy him for
no reason.' Then Satan answered the LORD, 'Skin for skin!
All that people have they will give to save their lives.
But stretch out your hand now and touch his bone and his
flesh, and he will curse you to your face.' The LORD said
to Satan, 'Very well, he is in your power; only spare his
life.'
So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD, and
inflicted loathsome sores on Job from the sole of his
foot to the crown of his head. Job took a potsherd with
which to scrape himself, and sat among the ashes.
Then his wife said to him, 'Do you still persist in your
integrity? Curse God, and die.' But he said to her, 'You
speak as any foolish woman would speak. Shall we receive
the good at the hand of God, and not receive the bad?' In
all this Job did not sin with his lips.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 13:22-30

HYMN
Words: John Donne (1673-1631)
Tune: So giebst du nun, Donne
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w502.html

Wilt thou forgive that sin, where I begun,
which is my sin, though it were done before?
Wilt thou forgive those sins through which I run,
and do run still, though still I do deplore?
When thou hast done, thou hast not done,
for I have more.

Wilt thou forgive that sin, by which I won
others to sin, and made my sin their door?
Wilt thou forgive that sin which I did not shun
a year or two, but wallowed in a score?
When thou hast done, thou hast not done,
for I have more.

I have a sin of fear that when I've spun
my last thread, I shall perish on the shore;
swear by thyself, that at my death thy Son
shall shine as he shines now, and heretofore.
And having done that, thou hast done,
I fear no more.

Show us your mercy, O Lord;
And grant us your salvation.

O Lord, save our nation;
And teach wisdom to those in authority.

Let your priests be clothed with righteousness;
Let your faithful people sing with joy.

Let your ways be known upon earth;
Your saving health among all nations.

Give your people the blessing of peace
And may all the earth be filled with your glory.

Create in us clean hearts, O God,
And renew a right spirit within us.

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially for
the Diocese of Makamba, Burundi, The Rt Revd Martin Blaise Nyaboho, Bishop.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

O God,
you willed to redeem us from all iniquity by your Son:
Deliver us when we are tempted
to regard sin without abhorrence,
and let the virtue of his passion
come between us and our mortal enemy;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

O God of compassion,
you opened the eyes of your servant Thomas Bray
to see the needs of the Church in the New World,
and led him to found societies to meet those needs:
Make the Church in this land diligent at all times
to propragate the Gospel among those who have not received it,
and to promote the spread of Christian knowledge;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Nourish our faith,
increase our hope,
and strengthen our love,
that we may live by your Word;

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses a sentence from a preface and the
closing sentence uses phrases from a prayer in _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The collects are from _The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and

 In 1696 Thomas Bray, an English country parson, was commissioned to
report on the condition of the Church in the colony of Maryland. He spent only
ten weeks in the colony, but he radically re-organized and renewed the Church
there, providing for the instruction of children and the systematic examination
of candidates for pastoral positions. He founded thirty-nine lending libraries
and numerous schools. Both in Maryland and upon his return to England, he
wrote and preached in defense of the rights of enlaved Africans, and of Indians
deprived of their land. Back in England, he worked for the reform of prison
conditions, and for the establishment of preaching missions to prisoners. He
persuaded General Oglethorpe to found a American colony (Georgia) for the
settlement of debtors as an alternative to debtors' prison. He founded a
missionary society, the SPG (Society for the Propagation of the Gospel) and an
educational and publishing society, the SPCK (Society for Promoting Christian
Knowledge), both of which are still active today. [James Kiefer]